Bush Country Camp june 7-14

Started by fishtildark, June 15, 2014, 09:20:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishtildark

All the tackle is put away, clothes washed and dog retrieved from the kennel so before I forget..
Jack and I had another great trip to BCC. Arrived on Saturday after a 2:30drive on the Logging road . I could do it in about a half hour less in someone elses vehicle.... things started a little slow on Saturday with enough eaters to plan Sundays meal but were treated at dark to Momma moose and twin calves coming within about a hundred yards but no picture at that distance. Sunday , things heated up in the walleye department and we were treated to a week of continuing action, mostly trolling rapalas and jigging. Caught a great number that were over the slot limit of 21 but also plenty to eat 4 meals and bring home 6 apiece. Pike were active also and I caught my best ever , a 44 inch, 20 lb beauty on Wednesday . That night , Jack caught his best Walleye , 32 " and 10.5 lb. Both are still swimming thanks in a large part to my best fishing "extra" purchase ever. Bought a Berkley lip grabber from cabelas last year for about 20.00(ok , so I had points) but , everyone that is going to catch large fish and release them should have one. That pike was out of the water for a min and a half where other years I would have had to grab behind the gills and then try to revive . We only netted 2 fish all week , a walley e and Jacks 12 lb trout, whose mouth just didn't seem large enough to lip him.Also makes a difference how they are hooked. The weather change on Thursday caused the fish to hit all day and continue feeding into Friday where we were still catching consistently when it was time to pack.. Camp is in great shape and Norm is adding new Yamaha 15 hps each year. the road is no better or worse than in the past.. you just take your time. We are booked for next year and if I had enough vacation time would look at another this year. Thanks to Norm and Chantell and the rest of the staff for making things great. Sam
So many lures and so little time.

600 miles north

Sounds like you caught a few beauties! By the sound of it this season is shaping up to be a great year fishing as everyone that has been up so far is doing very well. Thanks for sharing with us.

Brad
600 miles north is where I'd rather be!

RHYBAK

Wow. Fishing really sounds good this year.
I'm hoping to get first had experience this Saturday morning.

Thanks for posting
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

T-Bone

Now the juices are flowing....

Sounds like you had a great trip with really good fishing and safe travels. Boy...I hope that fishing holds-up for us that have 40 days until we're on the water. Ugh.

I did hear about a Weather Network forecast for a series of huge cold fronts that are supposed to start on Friday; coming down from northern Manitoba and Ontario one after the other that will probably shut-down the fishing for about a week or so. Heavy rains, t-storms, colder temps, and then more wind and rain. Wow...it'll probably be hard for Rhybak to even get out on the water....  ::)

Thanks for the report...great stuff.

Embrace every moment...you only get it once

RHYBAK

T-bone

That's a good one.
I almost spit out my coffee.

Just an FYI.
You were looking up the wrong weather station
http://www.theweathernetwork.com/14-day-weather-trend/canada/quebec/laniel
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

tbayboy

Great report Sam, thanks for sharing.

jackalofnar

Was at the camp at the same time as Sam.  Will get a report up soon and will include the picture of his pike described above.  Just working on my narrative now  ;D.  In short though, fishing was amazing.  Always nice to have to put 20" walleye back in the water.

I have already posted my highlights real on You Tube for anyone interested.  We caught way more than what was captured with my GoPro.

http://youtu.be/DvhXtO2PmOE

More to follow. 

Kirk

600 miles north

Thanks Kirk, I enjoyed watching your video. What is your opinion of the GoPro? I have toyed with the idea of getting one.

Brad

jackalofnar

Hi Brad,

The GoPro was great.  First time using it and things turned out well.  The model I purchased was the base model.  One of my buddies gave me some tips for use on fishing trips.

- Capture continuously, but cycle the takes every 5 minutes or so so you delete empty footage when you get back to camp
- Don't go cheap on memory.  You need a high speed memory to get good high resolution.  64GB was plenty of storage for my week trip.
- Switch to high resolution mode to remove most of the fish eye affect
- Buy extra batteries.   You get about 2 hrs of filming on each.  They charge fast.  I took two on this trip and also wish I had two more and and a charger.  They are only about $20 (CDN) I had to charge the batteries in the camera which meant i couldn't film.  Missed some good catches.
- if you have an iphone or other smartphone, download the app for the phone.  It lets you review the footage and clean up the empty tracks.  No cable needed, the camera uses wifi.  There are no controls on the camera to delete tracks or review footage.
- screen shields are a must to prevent scratches

For the trip I used the chest mount and it was great for showing rod action, but a bit awkward for showing different views if someone else caught a fish since you had to turn and face them.  There is a head mount but it is risky in a boat if you like to adjust your ball cap alot... :o. There are also mounts for fishing nets and poles.

The camera itself is very small and and is fully submersible.  The electronic stability control when filming is super.

Definitely glad I purchased it and looking forward to using it again now that I know what it can do. 

hope this helps

Kirk

johnny walleye

GOOD POST AND YES TO THE LIP GRABBER

600 miles north

Thanks a bunch Kirk! I thought it would be real cool to get the diving case for the camera and do some underwater footage on Kipawa.... You're killing me though because I swore this year I was going to go up and I had plenty of tackle and plenty of everything else I needed and this was going to be the year to just go up! No stops at Cabela's, Bass Pro Shops, Kame's... any of the local sporting goods stores... yeah, Why kid myself! That has never happend and probably never will!  :D

I don't have access to charging batteries while I am up there, which may hold me off a bit... but I have seen some really cool stuff on some of the hero-3/ GoPro cameras that would be a great help in some future trip reports, along with many events that we have here with the kids... Time will tell. Thanks again for taking the time to post the video and reply about the camera. Can't wait to read your trip report.

You need to talk your father in law in to putting up a web cam at Bush Country Camp  ;) ... Now that would be cool to tune into every morning before work... I bet it wouldn't hurt with getting people to fill up  vacant spots either!  :) ... He didn't strike me as someone real enthused with technology though!  ;D I got a kick out of when you asked him to adjust your camera to the water more and he tried, but it didn't move much!  :D :D

If all goes well in the world we will be on Kipawa the 19th of July

Cheers!
     Brad

jackalofnar

Here is the Pike Sam mentioned earlier in his trip report.

Cheers,

Kirk

600 miles north

Dog

Quote from: jackalofnar on June 19, 2014, 08:29:55 AM
Here is the Pike Sam mentioned earlier in his trip report.

Cheers,

Kirk

Good Night!
One more cast...

fishtildark

Kirk, Thanks for posting the pike picture. About a year or two ago on the old kipawa forum there was some naysaying about the story of the five foot pike in Sasseginega. After having this one in the boat I have something to compare to the ones I have seen in the water there over 25 years, and with a pretty high degree of certainty I can say that a five footer +/- a couple inches is most likely in there. the water tends to distort things but when they swim under the boat its pretty clear.. just not sure how you land it and what you do with it if you do get it in the boat. good fishing to all. Sam
So many lures and so little time.