Hiking Kipawa and the Kipawa river

Started by 600 miles north, August 08, 2018, 05:21:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

600 miles north

Hello all, I have been MIA from this forum for way too long. Im getting the itch for Kipawa and am planning a trip north labor day weekend.
     I kind of thought touching on a little different subject might be interesting from the perspective of being on kipawa.
     How many of you go hiking at all when at the lake?

Some years back we decided to hike the kipawa river with kids in tote. we didn't get too far, but got some of my favorite pictures and saw some of the most beautiful sights I've seen there. I really would like to spend a day again this year on the river. Without the kids I feel like it will be much more enjoyable. I even have the itch to kayak the river, but don't have any experience on it, or know it well enough to try such a venture.
     Does anyone know if the chutes are marked clearly before you come upon them being on the river? I wouldn't want to find myself heading over them unexpectedly!
I kind of want to try the Kipawa experience from a different angle this year. I have some great memories of the many years we have been to the lake, but would like some new ones...

Just thought a thread from a different angle than we usually talk about would be fun. Any imput on this subject would be greatly appreciated... Now I need to catch up on what I've been missing here for the last several months!

Cheers! 600 miles north is where I'd rather be!
Brad
600 miles north is where I'd rather be!

puckster_guy

Hi Brad, good to see you bro. I do some short little walks around my camp. The bridge over the Red Pine Chutes is 2.4 km one way. About a 20 minute walk one way. It's good exercise. I'll sometimes keep walking past the bridge. This for me is a nice walk. Other then that there are a few atv trails that might be a good trek as well. I'm more walks then hikes, lol.
Days spent fishing don't count against life :)

600 miles north

Hey PG, good to hear from you! I'm sure you're loving your piece of paradise on kipawa! Yeah, I hear you. I don't do a whole lot of walking or running here at home, so I wouldn't either if I were you! Hope the house is coming along up there, and you enjoy the rest of your summer

puckster_guy

Hey Brad I'm about 90% done. Almost all the interior walls are covered, I have running water and a septic but no hot water heater yet, the place is wired and solar is installed. Out side siding is on 3/4 of the house. really coming along. a bit slowly, but I'm getting there. Check this thread for some pictures from last fall... http://kipawafishingforum.net/index.php?topic=821.0
One of these years we'll get together bro.  :)
Days spent fishing don't count against life :)

limacharley

Here's a YT video on the journey down the Kipawa River. Looks like fun. They have a yearly rally on St Jean Baptiste weekend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXhOKi7vRvM

I've only been to La Grande Chute by snowmobile. Impressive and so very powerful. This area is in the new Opimican Park so I imagine you could get some info on running the river from them.

Mailing address:
5555, chemin Opémican
P.O. Box 129
Témiscaming (Québec)  J0Z 3R0
Telephone : 819 627-3551
Telephone : 1 800 665-6527
parc.opemican@sepaq.com
Everybody is a genius.
But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree,
it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
- Albert Einstein

Oarin

Hi Brad, I'm glad you're getting back up there this year. Jon and I take quite a few hikes. We'll look for old docks in the bays and follow the trails back in. We will usually find a moose blind or bear stand, also a couple had old abandoned cabins. We usually don't fish mornings and that's a fun way to pass time. We didn't do it this year as I'm still recovering from surgery and the weather was really hot and humid. Maybe next year. I watched the video of the kayakers, wow, no thanks! Have a safe trip and have fun. Tell Olivia that people she doesn't know are pulling for her and she's an inspiration to many.

600 miles north

Thanks for the info limacharley!
Oarin, yeah thanks for all the support for Olivia over the last couple years. She is an amazingly strong young woman, who has had to grow up wayyyy to fast. She's making progress!

Greg

LimaCharley - that video is just scary... they look like total professionals to do that... I wouldn't be caught dead even thinking about doing that.

Greg

Riverrat

Hi Brad:  Glad to hear you are making it up.  We are up that week.  Maybe I will run into you.  Just to let you know Jacques store is closed.  He is still around at his house

600 miles north

Riverrat, that is great to hear that Jacque is at his house. My family loves Jacque and Silvy, I hope I have the chance to run into them when we are there. If your up and see us at camp, stop by I would love to share a beer or few with you! Cheers!

SgtCrabby

Welcome back Brad ! 
I am glad that your schedule allows you the time to be able to get back on now.   
Do you still have your chickens?

Our group took this year off from Kipawa.  We went to a lake in Tennessee, nuff said...
we're awaiting word on when our favorite cabin on Lake Ogas will be available for next season.

600 miles north

Hello Sgt! Good to hear from you. Yep, we still have chickens, as I'm fixing some eggs as we speak for breakfast. I also am trying my go with turkey this year. Our experience when we raised meat birds in the past with the chickens were they were much better than store bought.
     Good luck with getting that cabin on lake O

rossbound

I am planning on hiking the trail with my nephew when we go up. I hear its a long trail but im guessing it will be worth it. Just one more week then nothing but fresh air!