News:

Upgraded to SMF 2.1.4
We hope you like the new look and feel!

Main Menu

Traveling north Friday

Started by Hodgey1, August 26, 2018, 12:00:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RoK

Its a long weekend, traffic will suck Friday and Sat. Its been a few years, but I did that 400 drive on a Sat of a long weekend before and I cant say it was any better than a Friday. Although if you leave at 2:00 am it should be fine.

Also, I don't recommend Hwy 12 as an alternative, at least for the Friday. Single lane each way, some traffic lights and small towns, and it will be one long line of frustrated drivers. I have a cottage east of hwy 12 and have crossed 12 a few times and the cars were just crawling.

I like the plane idea, but realistically, skip sleep or suck it up and endure. You may have an hour or 2 of traffic, but if you know what to expect and figure you cant do anything about, no need to stress over it.

but I sure do not feel sorry for you, I wish my concern was traffic delays for my 2nd Kipawa trip of the year. I am jealous.

Good luck and enjoy.
Cheers, Ron

RHYBAK

You are correct T-Bone. What do I care.
I am 5 hours door to door.
Good guess.

I'll be leaving at 4 A.M. Wednesday morning and on the water fishing by Noon with a cold one nestled in my Yeti beverage cozy, hopefully calling for some assistance with the net.
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

Hodgey1

Of all the things in my life to stressed about, this isn't one of them for sure!

8) 8) "My wife and I Saturday in our boat, heading to Alwaki"

I can't wait to leave even with the prospects of traffic issues everywhere. My post was focused on getting opinions on what would be my best option with what is at hand.

Having crunched the information I have the following plan, which scraps the idea of overnighting in Timiskaming. I will leave after work "2:30p" Friday and drive as far as I can and overnight wherever that maybe. Both my wife and I have to work Friday unfortunately. My hope is to make it to Orilla or further north and stop for the night. Get up early Saturday and finish the rest. Hopefully in the water by 9:00 am at Kipawa dock Saturday.

Just asking for information and not saying I will do it, but what is taking Route 27 North off of the 407 ETR  like to Barrie? I would rather spend an extra hour or two slow poking my way up 27 to Barrie if it is a viable option?
Walleye Rock!

limacharley

Hwy 27 goes through a whole bunch of little towns I believe...? Max speed is 50 then 30 in the towns. You're a gluten for punishment if you go that route...

here's an idea; I used to do this when I worked at the border:

Work my full day up to 4 pm or 8 pm. Take a good nap. Leave Sarnia at midnight and be in North Bay by 6 am. The wife and kids slept the whole way (no Pee breaks needed then) I bought a coffee at midnight and one in Vaughn. I got home to sleep a couple of hours and then I was good to go. Sometimes I rarely saw a car north of Vaughn.

You could time it so you're leaving time in PA coincides with arriving at the Kip dock in time for the Alwaki shuttle. Have a nap in your cabin for a couple of hours and then chillin time. No driving stress. The wife could nap while you're driving or read??
Everybody is a genius.
But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree,
it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
- Albert Einstein

RHYBAK

Hate to stress you even more Hodgey1 BUT and I mean a big BUTT 

This is a long weekend for both U.S. and Canada.
You are going to be screwed at the border, along the QEW from Niagara etc.

leave at 7 P.M. and drive.
Drive to no end except for coffee stops.
Park in the IGA parking lot and nap till the store opens.

You, your wife, your truck and your boat ,rent a space on a Hercules cargo plane from your local air force base up to the North Bay air force Base then drive from there.

Good Luck.

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

Hodgey1

Quote from: limacharley on August 28, 2018, 11:57:53 AM
The wife could nap while you're driving or read??

All good info LC. What if I nap and I get her to drive? ::)
Walleye Rock!

limacharley

All good info LC. What if I nap and I get her to drive? ::)
[/quote]

That's never happened at my end so that concept is foreign to me.
Everybody is a genius.
But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree,
it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
- Albert Einstein

Hodgey1

Quote from: limacharley on August 28, 2018, 03:39:29 PM
that's never happened at my end so that concept is foreign to me.

Me also! Little chance of my wife driving my truck, let alone pulling a boat. ;)
Walleye Rock!