Lake Lowering

Started by Hodgey1, August 28, 2018, 08:55:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hodgey1

When do they begin dropping the water level typically?
Walleye Rock!

crunchie

No expert here except owning a cottage for 20 years now.  I believe from what I've seen past week, they've slowly started to lower the level.  The trout will be spawning late sept (of course depending on water temperature), from what I know and they want the level lower so the eggs will still be covered once the level is lowered, this is what I understand.
Anybody want to chime in to add or correct me, no problem.
And of course, heavy rain can weigh in on this.
Keep your stick on the ice and your rod in the water

Hodgey1

Walleye Rock!

limacharley

The lake is currently at its highest level.
Everybody is a genius.
But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree,
it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
- Albert Einstein

RHYBAK

Quote from: limacharley on September 04, 2018, 12:39:27 PM
The lake is currently at its highest level.

Thank you for that.
I'm heading there tomorrow .
My boat thanks you also
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

crackers42

I don't mean to disagree but just came back from the camp (Although it rained quite a bit) the lake is not at it's peak.

I would say at least 8-10 inches below normal.

Brian

I am on the lake from may to sept and the water is at summer time level . They have not started the draw down yet

Jay Thomas

Quote from: Brian on September 07, 2018, 07:25:19 PMI am on the lake from may to sept and the water is at summer time level . They have not started the draw down yet

Seems rather nuts that the draw down has not yet commenced when everyone knows that the lake trout will start spawning soon!

Jay

crunchie

I added a post on august 28th that the lake level had slightly started to decrease.  It must have been very slight because today and for that matter, since I made the post I cannot say the level has decreased at all.  As far as being 8-10 inches lower than the summer level, sorry, I don't see that at all around Bronson Island area, and from the law of physics tell me, the lake level is, what it says, level around the lake, cheers.
Keep your stick on the ice and your rod in the water

Brian

The water is dropping all this week. Down approximately 8 inches

wayne

Hi Jay, I spoke with the biologists a couple of years ago on the dock in Kipawa ( October 1st 2016) and they explained to me that Lake Trout spawn for a 3 day period around the middle of October. Close to thanksgiving. They use rock and gravel beds to lay there eggs. Each female trout lays about 1500 eggs? Give or take. A lot less than a Walleye.

Jay Thomas

Quote from: wayne on September 14, 2018, 05:48:31 PMHi Jay, I spoke with the biologists a couple of years ago on the dock in Kipawa ( October 1st 2016) and they explained to me that Lake Trout spawn for a 3 day period around the middle of October. Close to thanksgiving. They use rock and gravel beds to lay there eggs. Each female trout lays about 1500 eggs? Give or take. A lot less than a Walleye.

Hi Wayne,

Thanks very much for that information - much appreciated. I imagine that you and Barb are starting to contemplate some much needed R&R.

Jay

wayne

Hi Jay, Yes it has been a very busy season. With some of the best fishing and best weather in a few years.  We will have guests in until October 8th or so? Then we will start putting things to bed for the winter. Another season gone by # 31. Looking forward to # 32. With a little R&R between. LOL!

limacharley

I noticed this weekend that the draw down has begun. About 8-10 inches since last weekend.
Everybody is a genius.
But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree,
it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
- Albert Einstein

puckster_guy

Heading up for a few days next monday. Good to know about the water levels. I'll let you know when I get there. It makes it tougher to launch the boat in low water.
Days spent fishing don't count against life :)