Back to Kipawa Sept 22-25

Started by ppauley, August 29, 2018, 05:13:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ppauley

Where heading back to Laniel at Brenda's and Jean's Camp POINT AUX PINS . Me and brother-in-law Rob where there June 4th-8th this year with not much luck because of the worst cold front of the summer. The water temp was only 54 degrees and it was wet and cold.
Where bringing our 6 budies and I hope we will do much better on the lake this time. We do know a few spots from our last trip. I met Paul Vaiencourt who use used to own Corbeau Island camp a long time ago and we got out the maps and he pointed out the Sand Banks area not to far from Corbeau Island that has good shouls in that area. He also told me that time of year to fish in 25-30 feet of water as the pickerel go deeper.

Any info on fishing Kipawa this time of year would be much appreciated. Thanks Guys...

T-Bone

Quote from: ppauley on August 29, 2018, 05:13:21 AM
I met Paul Vaiencourt who use used to own Corbeau Island camp a long time ago and we got out the maps and he pointed out the Sand Banks area not to far from Corbeau Island that has good shouls in that area. He also told me that time of year to fish in 25-30 feet of water as the pickerel go deeper.

My nephew and I were up around Corbeau Island last year during that time period exactly. Water was at least a couple feet lower than usual. From what I recall the fish we caught were still relatively shallow (<15 fow). But this year at the end of July our best depth was 26-28 fow...so who knows.

And yes, there are a catalog of great locations in that area of the lake...I think we keep about 25 on the active roster, but favor only a handful. Trouble is, from where you're lodging down to Corbeau Island has to be at least 20+ miles...probably 25+ miles. If you have to go that far to catch fish, something is wrong.

Good luck and have fun!
Embrace every moment...you only get it once

ppauley

Thanks T-bone, Yes I figured about that length to get to Corbeau Island. It is just an option and we know a few spots near the Laniel side.

Do you ever fish at the Laniel end of the Lake ? We will be using leeches and most likely still fishing or drifting.

T-Bone

Never have fished that area; closest we ever got to there was on the NE arm out of Taggart Bay....

limacharley

Good luck getting leaches that far into summer....Better plan on using worms and cranks.
Everybody is a genius.
But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree,
it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
- Albert Einstein

ppauley

We have leeches now and if you change the water every few days and put lettuce in the containers they last forever.

T-Bone

Quote from: ppauley on August 30, 2018, 06:58:09 AM
We have leeches now and if you change the water every few days and put lettuce in the containers they last forever.

Lettuce? What's that for? How much lettuce?

limacharley

Everybody is a genius.
But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree,
it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
- Albert Einstein

RHYBAK

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

T-Bone

HA HA HA HA HA!!!!! You boys are silly lads. HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!

Hodgey1

Walleye Rock!

ppauley

My brother-in-law gets our leeches from his buddy who is a distributer and he told us about using lettuce and it keeps them a long time !!!

jimmymuller

SgtCrabby

Lettuce?
I have learned something new today.

I wonder if lettuce would work with crawlers too?

smitty55

Quote from: SgtCrabby on September 10, 2018, 10:30:31 PM
Lettuce?
I have learned something new today. I wonder if lettuce would work with crawlers too?

Try used coffee grounds for worms. They love it but best used in small amounts so the bedding doesn't get too acidic. Lots of info online.

Cheers