Waterfront Cottage for sale?

Started by GregL, October 29, 2018, 09:00:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GregL

Hi All,

We are contemplating buying a waterfront cottage on Kip :) Anybody know of a good sites to find water property for sale in Quebec?

T-Bone

I always get confused when someone uses the term "camp" to describe property (typically on the water, but not always) in Canada. More times than not the term "camp"  is referring to a single structure...aka cottage, house, cabin, etc. Sometimes it refers to a collection of dwellings that serve as an outfitter (or once did). Alwaki Lodge could be considered a fishing "camp", same for Kipawa Lodge, 3 Seasons...et al.

So the question is obvious...are you referring to a single house / cottage / cabin or a collection of those that could still be, or maybe once was, an outfitting business? Different web sites for different listings.

Embrace every moment...you only get it once

GregL

Edited question to be more concise :)

Quote from: T-Bone on October 29, 2018, 10:00:21 AM
I always get confused when someone uses the term "camp" to describe property (typically on the water, but not always) in Canada. More times than not the term "camp"  is referring to a single structure...aka cottage, house, cabin, etc. Sometimes it refers to a collection of dwellings that serve as an outfitter (or once did). Alwaki Lodge could be considered a fishing "camp", same for Kipawa Lodge, 3 Seasons...et al.

So the question is obvious...are you referring to a single house / cottage / cabin or a collection of those that could still be, or maybe once was, an outfitting business? Different web sites for different listings.

limacharley

Check out Cottage Link or the Royal Lepage site. They are selling the lots at Red Pine chutes.
Everybody is a genius.
But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree,
it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
- Albert Einstein

puckster_guy

Days spent fishing don't count against life :)

GregL

limacharley

Hi Greg-Just one more tip.

When I was looking for a place on Kip I was told that the best way was to cruise around the part of the lake you wanted to buy in and visit the local cottagers. Those that appeared to be present anyways. They gave me pointers of what was for sale and how to contact the owners.
I was told that people rarely put a for sale sign on their dock/cabin etc as this invites people to come over and snoop while they're not there. Good luck.

One more thing-There's a local guy who's well known for selling the same cabin to several people hoping they never meet each other.
PM me if you want to know more.
Everybody is a genius.
- Albert Einstein

crunchie

Deleted
Keep your stick on the ice and your rod in the water

GregL

Sent ya PM Thanks :)

Quote from: limacharley on October 30, 2018, 12:42:10 PM
Hi Greg-Just one more tip.

When I was looking for a place on Kip I was told that the best way was to cruise around the part of the lake you wanted to buy in and visit the local cottagers. Those that appeared to be present anyways. They gave me pointers of what was for sale and how to contact the owners.
I was told that people rarely put a for sale sign on their dock/cabin etc as this invites people to come over and snoop while they're not there. Good luck.

One more thing-There's a local guy who's well known for selling the same cabin to several people hoping they never meet each other.
PM me if you want to know more.

crackers42

Limacharley hit the nail on the head cruising around is the best way, many places have been sold privately with no knowledge other then locals.

For instance we have thought about selling for years (And own of the major landings on the lake) and will most likely do it privately when the day comes.

No point in padding a realtors pocket sign and word of mouth work just as well

Goach15

I spent a bit of time looking for the right place on Kipawa. Found mine on Kijiji. People in Quebec seem to sell privately to save money more than using a Realtor and Kijijij is free to advertise...

limacharley

Just one more thing:

All you need is a Notary Public to complete the transaction. You can both use the same one. A lot easier.
Just make sure buyer and seller have a complete list of what's expected by both parties.
Everybody is a genius.
- Albert Einstein

puckster_guy

Quote from: Goach15 on November 02, 2018, 08:22:26 PM
I spent a bit of time looking for the right place on Kipawa. Found mine on Kijiji. People in Quebec seem to sell privately to save money more than using a Realtor and Kijijij is free to advertise...

With me I was looking for a lot to build on, I was gonna retire in about 10 or so yrs,.  so I wanted a new structure. I didn't want to inherit an older building that was in need of repair or maintenance. Now that I'm retiring next summer no worries about finding money for a new roof etc. I still need to build a shed and a wood shed tho. It's a little tougher building from scratch. Both ways work.
Days spent fishing don't count against life :)

GregL

Thank you everyone for the guidance!!

I'll be honest, I think I would feel a bit off approaching someone on there property asking if they are looking to sell..

I hate it when realtors do it to me, mostly because they don't seem to care if your in the middle of something. They just walk up uninvited and try talking to you. Most of the time I have to be uncomfortable rude to get them off my property, after telling them we are not looking to sell.

Of course, the wife and I would not be like that LOL!.. just feel like I would be intruding.

The search continues! :)

T-Bone

Well, I guess it depends on not only what you want, but where you want it. If I were serious about buying a cottage/cabin on Lake Kipawa I'd start with the "where" part of the equation and solve for that first. Then I'd look for any public listings, and short of my dream cottage/cabin being listed, I'd find whatever closest matches that set-up in my preferred part of the lake and knock on the door. If you want it bad enough, almost anything can be purchased.

There are always 8-10 places for sale on Kipawa in the public listings...but I wouldn't necessarily buy any of them because they're not where I'd want to be on the lake.

Good luck...keep us updated! So exciting, I'm sure...

Embrace every moment...you only get it once