Front Page News

Started by T-Bone, November 13, 2018, 11:03:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

T-Bone

So...what's the front page news up around Kipawa? I certainly don't want to read the real front page news.

Snow on the ground yet? Edges of the lake icing-up yet? Everyone getting their Santa wish list ready for 2019 gear and restock?

I noticed some lakes to the west are iced over already....LOTW, Chapleau, etc. I know Kipawa is so much deeper it certainly takes longer, though I can recall around US Thanksgiving it can get a layer to it.

I recall an old post from Ian (Kipawa forum OG) way back where he and the owner of Miller's Camp McKenzie went into camp over US Thanksgiving weekend, launching out of Kipawa, where they had to break ice to get into the camp on the north side of McKenzie Island. Quite an adventure, if I recall correctly.

Hope everyone is well and dreamin' those Kipawa dreams....

Embrace every moment...you only get it once

Northbound

as of last Sunday there was a foot of snow on the ground.

puckster_guy

Funny you say that T-bone. I just got to camp. We have about 4 inches of snow on the ground. Maniwaki is snow covered with some icy sections. When I hit the turn for Red Pine rd I slid right past it. Made a quick U-Turn and was back on track. Red Pine is packed snow from sleds and trucks. I made it to camp around 2pm. Swamps and still water is starting to freeze over, It was -7C outside when I git here. -9C now. My place is still warming up, got the wood stove cranked lol. Here's some pics...
The road in...

@camp...

The temps when I got there. The upper number is the outside temp in C

And the reward for surviving another drive. My friend Wisers....

The only guy at Red Pine?
Priceless :)  :D 8)
Days spent fishing don't count against life :)

Fort Wisers

Nice report PG!
Nice looking bottle as well, my fav!
Cheers

T-Bone

Thanks Puck...nice to see you got the appropriate provisions for a little time alone in the cold north. The pic of the shot waiting for a drinker...priceless....

puckster_guy

As a side note lake levels are rediculously high right now. Almost at summer levels. My dock is floating now. It should be sitting on the bottom this time of year.

Oarin

Thanks Puckster, I'd love the solitude also. The Sleeman's Draft is my son's beer of choice when we're at TBL. It's going to be a long time before our next trip, so keep your updates coming.

puckster_guy

T-Bone

Jay Thomas

Hey Puckster,

Firstly, thanks for the pics. Secondly, is your solar array fixed or can it automatically move to optimize access to the sun? Thirdly, how long does it take to warm up your cabin to your desired comfort level?

Jay

puckster_guy

Quote from: T-Bone on November 14, 2018, 01:24:03 PM
Are those wolf tracks?
I think so. There are no dogs here.
@Jay. They are fixed but I can angle them up or down. I would like a way to be able to spin them to follow the sun manually.

GregL

Thanks for the pics! Man would I love to have a camp to go up to this time of year. I fear I will be in winter mode very soon down here in Southern Ontario, not looking good for the rest of my duck season.

Water was freezing around me this past Saturday as I picked up my decoys, yup that's my hunting partner curled up in the front as I do my work :)

puckster_guy

Cool Gre. I'm glad at least two of us are out enjoying the weather lol.

GregL

I will be until my boat doesn't float, I think I'll need sled not a boat this weekend LOL!

Fort Wisers

Quote from: puckster_guy on November 14, 2018, 01:46:15 PM
Quote from: T-Bone on November 14, 2018, 01:24:03 PM
Are those wolf tracks?
I think so. There are no dogs here.
@Jay. They are fixed but I can angle them up or down. I would like a way to be able to spin them to follow the sun manually.

@puckster_guy pm me your email, I'll send some pics on how we set up our solar array for manual tracking......we can tilt vertically (generally we just have a winter and summer tilt position) and pan to track the sun.
Might be something you can add / change on yours easily depending on the way it's currently set up.

Take care and thanks again for all the pics! You're a savior to a lot of us!