Front Page News

Started by T-Bone, November 13, 2018, 11:03:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smitty55

Joe you definitely don't want to go on the lake if there is slush under a good layer of snow. Even with a good long freeze it can take a longer time than one would think before that slush finally freezes. Apart from that I'm sure you will relish your time up there. Cheers

puckster_guy

I tried to make a u turn beside my cabin and got the sled stuck in soft powder snow. Ya gotta Love it. I'll see if anybody is around to help pull it out. I got some shovels so I gotta dig it out. Very pretty out here.
Days spent fishing don't count against life :)

Fort Wisers

Hey Joe!
Pics look great, winter is the best time to be in the bush IMO.
Looks like you got her buried pretty good there (your top picture) lol.
We carry a small shovel on the back of our sled for just such an occasion, I'm sure you'll get it out.

Stay safe, stay warm and thanks for sharing the pics.

RHYBAK

Oh my
That does look bad.

When I owned my cottage , we would come in the first time without any sleds behind us.
We would do a few circles to form a base them bring in the sleds.

Easier to turn without anything in tow and easier to get out if stuck.
Once the base is set, your good for the winter.
Live and learn.
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

puckster_guy

Ya I dug it out this morning and went out for a couple of spins as well as got the rest of my stuff out of the jeep. Most of it is staying behind. I got no real place to leave it so I'm gonna trailer it in everytime I come up. Maybe find a parking spot in N bay and just haul it in from there. 2 good short runs and it performed great. One snag for the shop. Going up a steep hill just before the bridge at red pine the machine stalled near the top. After about 20 minutes of prodding and re priming the carbs it started and git me home. I think its a carb issue. Interestingly it snowed last night just a couple of inches. When I got to the bridge and south on Red Pine rd. the snow was clean with no tracks on it. This was about 1pm. I have no storage space on this thing so I may have to pull a trailer just for the survival stuff I need lol. I'm heading home on Friday.
I got more pics for you guys

puckster_guy

A favorite chair is still a favorite chair in winter....

Fort Wisers

Very nice pics Joe!
Thanks for sharing....

Jay Thomas

Thanks for sharing your pics Joe. Very picturesque up there during the winter.

Jay

bucknbull

Awesome pictures puckster !

Thanks for sharing your adventures !

Jig and drift

Very cool!  Thanks for sharing. It is always hard to really envision what it is like up north in the winter when we have only seen it in the very green summer. So how far could you drive in? Is Red Pine clear to the bridge and beyond , like all the way to the Bearn rd. ?

puckster_guy

Ouch, what a cold morning. -29C outside and +2C inside when I got up. Cranked the stove and a propane sun heater to try to warm the place back up.
J&D, Maniwaki and red pine rd are plowed. Red Pine all the way to Bearne. I'm sure the Bearne rd also gets plowed for some distance as logging trucks are hauling out lumber in winter. My road gets plowed about a km in then it's fresh powder snow the rest of the way. Once the machine packed a trail it was easy sledding in.

T-Bone

Great pics Puckster...nice to see the place in its winter dress. The 'chair' pic is great...and the line-up of Wisers dead soldiers in the background is hilarious!

Yikes on those temps. For us Fahrenheit folks, that's a solid -20F. I know there's a big-time cold blast going to hit us this weekend...down into the single digits. That's cold enough for me. I've felt -22F once in northern Michigan...so cold it takes your breath away.

Safe travels home...

Embrace every moment...you only get it once

Fort Wisers

So Joe, did you survive? How did you enjoy your time up there?

puckster_guy

Hey guys. I got home from a great trip to camp. Winter cottaging has it's challenges alright. Like no running water. I was able to use the inside toilet (I do have a septic system put in) You just pour water into the tank/bowl to flush it, that's huge. We have about 2 feet of powder in undisturbed areas once the sled packed down the snow it was easy to walk on as well. Otherwise your knee deep. Snow shoes are in the picture. I got some amazing boots rated for -50C best investment I ever made. n -20C trudging thru snow my feet were warm and dry, The model is called "Baffin" as in the island in the Arctic. I had to dig out the BBQ and Jenny and both worked TG. My "new" sled worked awesomely. I'm not sure I'm into long distance trips but to get in and out, visit neigbours(if they ever show up at the same time) or go ice fishing it's just fine.
The wood I was burning was still very green and didn't burn as hot as it should. I bought 2 trailer loads in September. It'll do for now. A new salamander type propane heater saved the day 80,000 BTU's throw off a lot of heat. I've got a high "Cathedral" type ceiling 19 ft high and a loft where the peak is 9 ft. That's a lot of ceiling and air to heat. Takes a little longer but I'll take it. Other issues I've already spoken about. As for cold weather as long as you dress for it, it's fine and doable. I like going up in winter, I wasn't sure if i would or not. A totally different dynamic to summer  The silence is something else and everything is white. Driving in and out the roads were plowed and sanded in spots. 4 ft snowbanks should keep you on the road lol they were easy to drive. Ya, I think I'll be doing some winter trips. I designed the camp to be a 4 season place so I might as well use it as such. Just open the darn ice fishing on Kip. at least only for walleye and perch. The outfitters could make some bread renting out huts too.

Fort Wisers

Get harvesting some wood asap Joe so that it will season all spring / summer.
It will make a world of difference next winter.

Our first year at the latest cabin we were late in cutting our wood so it was too green, that winter had many "not so cozy" trips.
The year after that we were prepared and now we're often opening windows at -20 weather because of the heat.

Assuming your stove is sized well for the camp, getting a good supply of seasoned firewood will make next years trips much, much more tolerable.
Glad you had a good time!
Yes the winter silence is almost deafening isn't it?

Take care and thanks again for sharing your trip and pictures.