Watson Lake Cabins September 7-15

Started by Teach, December 08, 2018, 10:59:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Teach

I was told by an unnamed crew member not to make a trip post until pictures they had were sent to me.  Those said pictures arrive via email last week, so now I make a trip report during a cold rainy December day.  Always better late than never.

We were a group of 5.  Dad, two sisters, nephew and myself cramed into the pickup with boat and canoe in tow.  Uneventful but enlightening trip up and back.  Everyone we encountered was super friendly.  The New York toll workers who wanted to join the adventure and the Onroute attendent who gave me $50.02 worth of gas for prepaying $50.  Everyone laughed along with us but what makes the trip really special is when the fish cooperate.

We found the fish to be in their usual spots and located a few new "holes".

Not all the fish we caught were keepers. 

And someone even had success using fly fishing gear and home made ties.

And we got some good pictures of a true fisherman!

As usual, dad got the biggest walleye of the trip and the last fish of the trip.  We named the 26 incher Scarfish.

Count down updates:
17 days till Christmas, 56 days till the Superbowl, and 160 days till we return to Watson Lake!

Jig and drift

Great pictures and the eagle shots are perfect. What a sight.

puckster_guy

Totally awesome. Nice to see this time of year. Were most of the fish caught almost black like that? Cool report thx.
Days spent fishing don't count against life :)

Teach

Puckster_guy,
All the walleyes we seem to catch fall into one of three color patterns.  I claim to know nothing about what causes this or why it happens.

Gray

Blue.  Very similar to the gray but produces a thick and persistent blue slim.  The checks shine like gemstones.

And golden.  Still dark on top but with a golden belly.

T-Bone

Dandy fish and a nice read as I stare out from my office at gray skies and cold temps. How do you get "into" Watson Lake? I don't know where it is, and they have no web site, and it doesn't say on their Facebook page (at least in a clear way). Must do hella'business by referral.  :o

I see the Cleveland visor in the one pic. Where are you from? 
Embrace every moment...you only get it once

Oarin

Thanks Teach! Those are some really nice fish! Beautiful smiles on the ladies.

johnny walleye

Teach

T-bone
I live in Metro Atlanta and the rest of the crew is from Morrow County, Ohio.  The trip in is roughly 75 miles from Kipawa.  Road is great to Red Pine but deteriorates quickly after that.

T-Bone

75 miles on bush road only means one thing...the fishing must be pretty darn good when you're there.

I'm in Delaware County...just a quick 20--minute ride up to Morrow County. My cousin Marco lives in Morrow County. Nice up there...peaceful.

Thanks again for the report!!!
Embrace every moment...you only get it once

Fort Wisers

Great report and pics, thanks for sharing!