Favorite trips

Started by fishtildark, March 12, 2019, 08:33:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishtildark

Ok, getting a little cabin fever so time for me to bore everyone with a question .. that I already have my answer for. Have been going to Bush country camp for 30 years and every trip is special for the company and the experience, but , to all of you repeaters, which are your favorite trips and Why?
Mine, after all this time there are three that are special for various reasons.
first,-- the first time I went there were seven along, four younger and 3 retired.  my ex said I should go on that , and I quote, " once in a lifetime trip". It was late may and the fishing spotty but obviously, I loved it and learned a lot about how finicky walleyes can be.
second- a few years later we had two cancellations so we took the boys on their first. my 9 year old got airsick on the pontoon flight but had a terrific experience catching walleyes , seeing a couple moose and making snowballs on June 1.hope he will be going back some day.
the third one that really sticks in my mind was when we had 12 fishermen in the big cabin, which included 3 generations of fishermen . My dad caught a 11 lb walleye on his 75 th birthday and my son kept the mount in his room since he was in the picture. He seemed to find his way into every big fish picture.

I could bore everyone with the other trips and other fishing buddies that have been part of the experience but really would like to hear the favorites of all the others here. Thanks.
oh , by the way , under a hundred days.
So many lures and so little time.

Fort Wisers

While we have many favorite trips one that stands out for me was the first year our gang moose hunted.
It was out of a little cabin my brother a good friend of ours and I built many years ago.
Our hunting crew consisted of my bro, our uncle, our cousin, a good family friend and myself.

We truly were blessed with beginners luck as we bagged a nice size bull.
But really the best part of the trip was just the routine of getting the camp, stands and trails all ready in the spring and then getting together in the fall for the actual hunt.
The routine of getting up before dawn, getting breakfast into us so we could hit the trails in good time.
We'd call for an hour or two and then head back to camp for our daily routine of cards, pike fishing or just hanging out.
Then each evening we'd go out again for another call and scout for any activity.
Finally each day ended with a great dinner, drinks and more laughs.
Miss those trips and the old cabin......

RoK

As I try to think about the one trip that stands out, I find that not one does, but many of them stand together and they have 2 common elements. Great family or friends and being in the great outdoors away from civilization such as Kipawa.

Despite fishing being the main reason to go, catching fish wasn't the main reason they stand out. But don't get me wrong, catching is always better than not catching.  But that does remind me of one of the better trips to Kipawa where we really screwed up in our planning. 4 of us buddies and we all had a very stressful year at our various jobs, no down time, no time to think so we forgot to check walleye opening date. We assumed it was the same as in Southern Ontario only to find then when we got there it was 2 days before season opened. No cell reception, nothing to do but relax and enjoy the outdoors. It was so relaxing from what we had just been going through. And that just made opening day that much more special.

I very much appreciate my parents exposing me to camping and fishing when I was a kid. I have spent the vast majority of my vacations throughout my life heading "Up North".
Cheers, Ron

Oarin

Everyone of my trips to Quebec to fish have been great. The most special one was to a place called Lac Wetetnagami, where I took my son,Jon, on his fist Canadian wilderness trip. According to a Quebec outfitters map it was one of the farthest north that had walleye fishing. Nine hours to Senneterre, where we spent the night at La Belle Motel, then another hour north to a little town called Lebel-Sur-Quevillon, and onto a three to four hour dirt road trip that got worse as we went on. We eventually made it and headed off to our cabin next to a river flowing into the lac. There are only 5 cabins on the lac and all were empty. Naturally,the previous week had heavy rains and the water was 2-3 feet higher than normal, and our week had some strong winds, which made fishing the main lac tough. The lac was really beautiful and we spent most days on the river fishing and exploring. This place had the most amazing sunsets I have ever seen. Mid week we went into the main camp and asked if we could move to one of the beautiful new cabins that were meant for 4 or more people. The kid there said OK and we moved there. The cabin was amazing. Easily the nicest I've ever been in. We finished our trip there. The entire week, other than the kid running the main camp, we only saw one other person the whole week. He was way up the river one day that we were out exploring. We managed some fish, not many, but it was the trip that hooked Jon on going north with me each year. This year will be our 11th straight year, now going to the TBL Outpost. Can't wait for July!! Jon said he would post some photos from the trip. I hope he does, because they're beautiful.

Phil Indablank

Some pictures from our Wetetnagami trip.  Unfortunately this was before I had a good camera. 

Fort Wisers

Nancy

Those are some gorgeous pics @Phil Indablank .

We have had many great trips over the years. But there are two that really stick out as being the most memorable and really neither trip had anything to do with the quantity or quality of fish we caught.

The first trip was the September of 2017 trip. We were setting at the lunch table talking about what gorgeous weather we were having. And I mentioned I wonder what the weather is like at Ogas. We checked and it pretty much matched our weather forecast. So John called Ginny that Tuesday afternoon at 2. The camp was nearly empty. By 7AM the next morning. we were on our way. Whew!!. We were a couple of tired puppies getting ready. We actually did better fishing than we expected, but then again we weren't expecting much. As we had been up in September before, and didn't do well at all. As it turns out that was John's last trip up and he really enjoyed it. I am soooo thankful we made that trip.

The second trip was roughly 10 years ago. We were leaving North Bay on a Sunday AM headed for camp. And a lady pulled out in front of us, and we blew a brake line. I asked John what are we going to do as there wouldn't have been any garages open on a Sunday. We said we are going in. I am so glad he was driving. Some of the hills back on outfitter road was a little or a lot exciting. We met up with someone going into Ogas too, and we told them the problems we were having. It was funny when we got to the camp, all the trucks were pulled off the driveway. LOL Through the week John and Brad "bush rigged" it enough to get us back home.

Oarin

I'm glad you and John got to make one more trip. Great memories for you.

CaptainCrappie

I have been fortunate to spend 18 weeks at 3 Seasons Camp.  That first trip in June of 1997 will always be very special.  Commander Bluegill and I had gone to the Sportsman Show held at the IX Center in Cleveland in 1996.  While wandering around the Canadian outfitter section we stopped by many booths and collected many pamphlets and brochures in hopes of making a dream trip to Canada someday. We stopped by the 3 Seasons booth and this somewhat quirky individual caught our eye. He was talking to others who knew him and who had spent time at the camp. As we waited our turn to speak to him we looked at pictures of great stringers of walleyes and pike and a few lake trout as well. That quirky guy was the legendary Gerry B.  In less than a minute we were being ridiculed by this character!  I knew this would be the camp we settled on however, 3 Seasons was totally booked for 1996. So it would be 1997 then.

As all of you know, there is nothing like the anticipation and excitement of trip planning. The countdown slowly moves forward as many discussions of what to take and who is responsible for what, is addressed.  I lost many hours of sleep thinking of what was ahead. At work I found myself day dreaming about the trip when maybe I shouldn't have.  I started packing two months ahead of time and had an area in the basement that I proclaimed to my wife, that it was off limits, a do not touch any of that stuff spot.  My son Brian (who would be home on leave from the Air Force) and a friend of the Commanders rounded off the roster.

That first trip, the sights and stops along the way were to become an annual experience.  Well, that first trip... Uh, we made a wrong turn in North Bay and went over a hundred miles out of our way.  We stopped at a small store somewhere out in the boonies to get a soft drink and we were quickly told to move our vehicle because we were blocking the gas pumps! Like there was a freekin line of traffic waiting!  The Diet Coke I bought did not fizz when I popped the top.  It had an expiration date of two years earlier!

We met Gerry at the pick up docks and what was to become an annual event, was once again being ridiculed! What the heck is wrong with this guy?  That first ride to camp was overwhelming!  The islands, all those potential spots, the scenery, it was all good.  After we unloaded, we took the customary tour of the area and I was still awestruck. So much water! Gerry also made fun of my ten tier Umco tackle box crammed full tackle.  After eating a bite we
were off on our first trip from camp. Visions of walleyes were dancing in my head as we crossed Hay Bay on to the infamous Blue Barrel!  The Commander and his side kick went a different direction. My hands were shaking as I baited my Erie Dearie. That first evening I was absolutely skunked but Brian caught a small non keeper on a different lure. On the way back to camp I got confused and ended up lost!  After tracking down another boat, I was told that 3 Seasons was behind us.  We were heading towards the Rock Man!  Very scary feeling being lost!  On the way back Brian and I agreed not to tell The Commander and Mike of our peril.  After all, that would make us seem to be a little stupid.  As darkness fell we were back at the cabin dock. We soon were told that they had just gotten back themselves. After some sheepish discussion we were told that they too had gotten lost!

Sunday came and went and I was still skunked! What the heck?  Did we make a mistake on this lake?  Monday morning same results.  Gerry stopped by and asked how we were doing and after confessing our total ineptness of the ability to catch anything, he told me to "get rid of all my fishing tackle and fish with just a hook and worm or a jig and worm."  But what about these Erie Dearies?  I've caught many walleyes on Lake Erie.  Gerry says "This isn't Lake Erie! Smart Ass!  As the week progressed Brian and I had a ball trolling silver bladed worm harnesses.

Our first trip to Bat Lake... That was a trip that will live in infamy. Anyone who has made that trek.. before the path was improved will understand. That path was not the greatest, it was overgrown, lots a trees that had to be crawled over and some even under.  Those woods were natural very dark and shady. The bugs numbered several trillion per sq. ft.  That may be a slight exaggeration.  So me being somewhat of an idiot,  I thought to myself, how bad can that path be?  It's not that we would be the first to take it, right?  So I elected to wear a pair of flip flops!  After all, this isn't the Amazon!  After about a hundred yards, I broke a strap on my right flip flop while slipping in a soft wet area. Now what?  Mike said, "No problem" and that he would fix it when we came to the small lake. (before Bat) So, I very carefully took each step from then on trying not to step on anything live or dead.  Oh, and another thing,  I was wearing a pair of cutoff jeans which seemed to be snug enough to not require a belt. Another idiot decision!  Having both arms filled with stuff as it was, I soon realized that I had to hold on to my shorts as well!  About midway through the walk, Mike, who was behind me told to stop, and asked for some bug spray. He then grabbed my shorts and sprayed about a quart of that spray down the back of my shorts! Pretty darn cold! I pulled away and asked him "what the heck was that for?"  He says, "Ya know I seen a million mosquitos fly down into the crack of your ass and none of them came out!" OK then.

So we get to the first lake and Mike goes to work on my flip flop.  He straightens a hook and threads some braided line through the eye and proceeds to repair my flip flop.  He was so proud of himself as he watched for my approval and I thanked him. Well, that repair lasted about 5 steps.  So much for that. One more thing, as I stated, that was our first trip to Bat.  We got in to the transfer boat and headed out to God only knows where!  Oh yeah, there was a dock on the other side.  But wait, there was a boat which appeared to be on the opposite shore.  That must be the dock to tie to.  As we approached that boat, we soon realized that that boat was not tied to anything!  It was free floating.  Now what?  Well, The Commander has a virtual melt down!  We were lost again!  So he demands to go to shore and find the path to Bat. After disappearing into the bush we hear him stop and struggle, only to turn back to us still waiting in our boat.  Not to worry, we found the dock and we managed to actually find Bat Lake.  All the way back I continued to carefully watch my step. So after Gerry gets the full report of our first Bat Lake experience, he looks at me with disbelief.  "Who would be so dumb to go to Bat without shoes or a belt?"  I knew that answer all too well. 

There is nothing like that first Kipawa trip!  There is something in that water that makes you want to return, and we have. Memories of other trips are wonderful too.  The General Rybak group, the Jay and the Americans and all the people we've shared the week with. They're all good. Every Gerry encounter since,  he askes me if I have shoes and a belt.  He uses me as a joke, and has told many people about the no shoes no belt customer.  It's all good.

C.C.
You don't get these days back.  Live each day as if it were your last and one day you will be right.

Jay Thomas

Hi CaptainCrappie,

Really enjoyed reading about your first trip to 3 Seasons Camp - pretty hilarious reading in places. Had me laughing out loud. I have very fond memories of the 2010 and 2011 trips to 3 Seasons Camp with you, Larry and Brian.

Don't worry about getting lost occasionally on fishing trips - it happens to most fishermen. On a 2014 trip into Club Trout Lake our group of four were the only fishermen on the lake. One day, my fishing partner and I traveled to the far east end of Lac Winniwiash - about 40 minutes from camp at WOT. After a few hours of fishing, we started back. About half way back, when we came out of the river, we noticed a boat with 2 guys on the far side of the lake. To satisfy our curiosity, we motored over to the other boat. As we approached, we could see that the boat contained the other two members of our group. They were just sitting there with the motor off. So we asked - outboard problems eh? Their response was no, we just don't know how to get home.

Jay

Chazz

Great read Capt - sure do miss the Sportsman Shows at the IX Center

T-Bone

Nice story Captain...certainly a great old memory.

I've had so many great trips I'm not sure I can peg a favorite, though a few stand-out.

- First trip to Canada (Pigeon Lake, Ontario) in 1973; so much discovery for an 8-year old to absorb, and I was officially "bit" by the annual Canada trip
- Trip up to Lake Nosbonsing, Ontario in 1993; caught plenty of walleye, pike, smallies, etc. on a relatively small lake...our first trip to a lake outside the Kawarthas
- Late-May trip up to Lake Wabitongushi, Ontario in 1997; Camp Lochalsh outpost cabin. First time on this lake and that far north, first time at an outpost, it changed my world
- First trip up to Corbeau Lodge on Lake Kipawa in 2000; that trip branded me and I've been going back to Kipawa ever since

I can only recall a handful of trips that were just OK, but still would never say that I regretted going on any of them.

Embrace every moment...you only get it once

Jig and drift

So I have been thinking about this topic for a while now. As others have said it's hard to pick a favorite since they have all been great for many reasons. What sticks out to me though was my first trip north. I got into this through my brother-in-law in 1993. He had been going on and off since he was 10 with his father. He asked so I agreed to attend. Now I had no idea where Kipawa was or what I was really getting myself into but why not. We went up in June in '93. It was cold and wet the entire way up from Ohio. We took two vehicles that year and I rode up with Roger , an old family friend of thiers who I knew but not well. I had been to Canada many times but not on a trip like this. As we got farther north and the trees changed I knew it was going to be special. I will never forget on route 63 as the road turns at the top of the hill above the Ottawa river. I though we were going of the cliff in the rain and Roger informed me we were pretty close. Stayed at Auberege where we still stay and then had breakfast in the AM at the corner dinner, like we still do.
   This is where the adventure reall starts. We were going to Lake Dumoine on a fly in trip, again I had no real clue. We went up the road to the plane and loaded up. In that big old Otter all loaded up we shoved off. Man that plane was loud. Smooth but loud going across that water. About 30 minutes later we were heading into the lake. Landing on water another new concept but again smooth as glass.  We fished hard each day and Roger was a great teacher in the boat. We saw moose, beaver, mice in the cabin and we were destroyed by bugs, BLACK FLIES.  None of them in Ohio! We did well on the walleye and I had a blast.go.     
   This was a great adventure that I have been fortunate enough to go on every year since. My mother-in-law who always went on the trip is no longer with us so my wife has taken her place. We did  put some of Ginny's ashes in Dumoine because she loved it so much. We have taken our boys multiple times over the years and it has become a part of us. It not a fly in trip anymore but the logging road has made it another type of adventure, a little scary the first time. We go in July now to avoid bugs. We have seen bear,moose, deer, beaver,otters eagles and a lynk s over the years. I still look forward to it each year just like the first time. It's always a great adventure but it took the first trip to get me hooked. To be able to do it with the whole family over the years is icing on the cake.

Fort Wisers

Great stories everyone!

@CaptainCrappie I too actually laughed out loud at some of your notes!
The only issue reading these is you start remembering similar events in your own stories which makes you think "I forgot about this trip and I forgot about that trip".

For example, Captain's story of trying to find bat lake reminds me of a day fishing trip some time ago, when we were kids.
My brother, a good friend of ours and I decided it was a good idea to bring a paddle boat (we usually just brought a canoe or two) into the little pike lake at the foot of moose bay (down near jawbone, shows up on maps as Baie Latour or "Tower Bay" these days).
Let's just say it was not the cake walk we hoped for.......

Cheers everyone!