Pulled the trigger...BANG!!!

Started by T-Bone, March 18, 2019, 03:11:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T-Bone

What was once a spark of an idea is now a reality...

I teased my nephew Mattie with a, "What would you think about going up for opener this year?" about a week ago. Of course, Mattie just blurted-out, "LET'S DO IT!!!" So, we considered being first in camp (Is ice out yet? Is it still snowing on the lake?) and decided to look toward Week 2 of the season.  ;D

A quick phone call to Brian at Alwaki Lodge and BAM...we'll be in camp from Friday 5/24 - Tuesday 5/28. Just a quickie 4-dayer, but a good little adventure to get ready for the big trip at the end of July...

66 days and counting!!! HA HA!!!

Embrace every moment...you only get it once

Fort Wisers

HAHA that's awesome, good for you!

RHYBAK

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

Greg

Super jealous T!!   

Prepare for black-flies.

crunchie

So, we considered being first in camp (Is ice out yet? Is it still snowing on the lake?)

Hope you're joking about "is ice out yet and is is still snowing?".  It's currently -6c (21f) and going down to -14c (7f) overnight.  The ice has not started to melt at all yet, it's been a very below average temperature wise month of march.  Today just barely went above freezing, maybe 2c (about 35f), and it was sunny the whole day.
Keep your stick on the ice and your rod in the water

T-Bone

Quote from: Greg on March 18, 2019, 07:30:19 PM
Prepare for black-flies.

Well...I guess it all depends on the weather preceding the trip. I suppose they may be hatched and biting, but hopefully only hatched and not biting yet...or not hatched at all yet. Mid-June was the worst I've ever seen on the black flies...we shall find out.  ;D

Greg

Agreed - their hatch time will depend on mother nature!   I have a 3 day fishing weekend away the following weekend at a lake closer to Ottawa.   If I didn't have this booked - I would run up Alwaki also!

RoK

2 - trips in a year, I am jealous.

BTW, if you have never been there that early in the season, you may want to pack for every kind of weather. We have experienced heavy snow to baking in the sunshine in shorts and t-shirts, many times in the same day.
Cheers, Ron

RHYBAK

You might also want to pack a few icefishing rods and an auger 8) 8)
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

T-Bone

And a snow shovel! Spoke with Brian today and said he saw recent pics from Kipawa and the snow is really, really deep this year. Said he got a pic of one of his buildings and estimated the snow would be up to your neck or more. Dang...and I complain when we get 6-inches.  ::)

smitty55

Quote from: T-Bone on March 19, 2019, 03:47:01 PM
And a snow shovel! Spoke with Brian today and said he saw recent pics from Kipawa and the snow is really, really deep this year. Said he got a pic of one of his buildings and estimated the snow would be up to your neck or more. Dang...and I complain when we get 6-inches.  ::)

I posted this on another thread, but this pic is from Turtle Chute area.

Nancy

That is cool! Have an awesome time!

chiaro

That is our "May-24" holiday weekend. If possible get past Toronto on the 23rd. If not try to be threw Toronto around noon. Traffic can be nuts.

johnny walleye

RoK

Actually the May 2-4 holiday this year falls on May 20, so the weekend prior. Regardless, cottage season will be in full swing so Friday afternoon traffic on the 400 will still be heavy.
Cheers, Ron