Where are the Walleye Sanctuaries?

Started by T-Bone, March 20, 2019, 11:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smitty55

Quote from: T-Bone on March 22, 2019, 02:14:33 PM
Thanks Jay...thought that was it; and it's cool Lima...we usually don't get too far from Alwaki during July...have never had to go more than a mile or two to get on stacks of fish. But...with a late-May trip on the books we're not entirely sure where or how far we're going to have to go, hence I was just being careful.

Well, if nothing else, we are all a little more aware of the location of sanctuaries near the central and SE parts of the system.

Now...on to the next point of discovery...tactics and techniques for mid/late May.  ;)

TBone generally you still want to fish close to spawning areas as the fish slowly scatter on their way to summer haunts. I would suggest Kelly bay, I know Carl and later his son Gusso would fish for spring Walleye in there.

Cheers

Balsams

TBone, A late May trip potentially in the works....that's a great time of year. Everything is fresh, thousand shades of green, fishing is great, likely wildlife settings, the filets are cold and firm... I could be wrong but I recall your detest of the bugs! Mind over matter, and be one with the bugs.......
Good luck.

Rico

Try the 2 shoals beside Alwaki, troll the shoreline by sunnyside. Hunter narrows was Carl's favorite spot. He would anchor by the mouth of Hunter Lake along the shore line.  Have fun, and bring lots of bug dope.

T-Bone

Mattie and I went over the "big map" yesterday and ID'd the locations we want to try in priority...first, next, then the next, etc. We know where we want to go and what we want to do...just matter of fine-tuning once we get there.

And correct Balsams...I loathe the bugs, but have dealt with them enough that I've come to accept them. I certainly have enough bug wares to combat them including sleeping 'tent', permethrin spray, gloves, electric racket for zapping those buggers in the cabin, head buff, etc. We'll be ok.

Good stuff everyone...thanks for chiming-in.

Embrace every moment...you only get it once

JohnPK

Hey T-Bone....good to hear you are heading up for a spring trip. When exactly are you at Alwaki? Our group will be there from May 31 for a week.
Have been doing that first week of June for about 10 years or more now and was warned about the bugs on our first trip. We have always been able to sit out on the cabin deck and never had a serious issue with black flies or mosquitoes...we usually keep one of those coils burning if they are around. In the evening is the worst when the skitters come out but fishing is good during the day and we quite often pack up by 9 pm . or earlier. Still some light out till close to 10 pm at that time of year.
Fishing has always been good close to Alwaki but as you say, always nice to take a day or two and do a trip to new areas. Spring has been very late so far here in southwest Ontario...the next 2-3 weeks will hopefully warm up some.

T-Bone

We'll miss you by a few days JPK...we arrive at Alwaki on 5/24 and head home on 5/28. We'll leave a few for you... . ;)
Embrace every moment...you only get it once