News:

Upgraded to SMF 2.1.4
We hope you like the new look and feel!

Main Menu

depth

Started by Georges, April 19, 2019, 02:39:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Georges

I'm heading to Kipawa the first week in June at cottage near Laniel just wondering what depth to fish for walleye at this time of year been there in august and found them in 18 feet during the day but I'm sure they won't be at the same places and depth in June just wondering were to start Thanks

puckster_guy

That sounds about right, 15-25 is where I drift. Find a current, I find walleye in spring like moving water.
Days spent fishing don't count against life :)

crackers42

They will all be in 10 feet or less fish shallow they are just putting the feed bag on from the opener this time of year .  Don’t be scared to fish five feet and under you will be surprised.  Fish most likely won’t be deeper then 15 at the most unless the lake hasn’t flipped yet.  Based on second week of May Ice out you should hit it perfect.  Trolling will work best this time of year they are fairly agresssive

smitty55

Quote from: crackers42 on April 21, 2019, 09:48:15 PM
They will all be in 10 feet or less fish shallow they are just putting the feed bag on from the opener this time of year .  Don’t be scared to fish five feet and under you will be surprised.  Fish most likely won’t be deeper then 15 at the most unless the lake hasn’t flipped yet.  Based on second week of May Ice out you should hit it perfect.  Trolling will work best this time of year they are fairly agresssive

I agree with that premise, specially if this is a later breakup. Water temps will still be plenty cold so finding the warmest water can make all the difference in finding biological activity, starting with zooplankton and then the rest of the way up the food chain. That's where a temp probe can come in real handy, whether its the xducer or even more one you can probe the depths with. I still have one I bought back in the 80's so I could find 50° water depth, that way I'd know how many colours of lead core to fish or even for the guys running riggers. I bet it still works, anyone remember these Depth-O-Plug units.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-DEPTH-O-PLUG-FISHING-DEPTH-AND-THERMOMETER-CASTING-PLUG-NOS-/312244942803

Crackers I know you prefer trolling, just wondering for spring trolling along shallow water shorelines if you ever tried small side planers like the hot shot ones? Just to keep the boat further from shore.

Cheers

BigChief

@Georges where at by Laniel? We go to Taggart Bay Lodge all the time. Only been there in early June once. Mostly go 3rd or 4th week of June. If you are on the arm right by Laniel we have never been there.

crackers42

We will use them in a couple weeks for Lakers that are tucked right up on shore and works really well right at ice out.  Don’t need planers any time do the year even in five feet of water will surprise you