Kipawa questions?

Started by baitfish, May 27, 2019, 10:25:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

baitfish

Hey all,

I have some Kipawa questions for the kip pros??

Do they stock this lake with walleye or lakers? Or is natural reproduction?

Do the walleye spawn to the south of kipawa and then move north as water warms up?

What is an average size and big walleye and later?

When is this fishing best for jogging, casting and drifting?

Black flies and skeeters, when do they start and end?

Is it a reservoir flooded, connecting all lakes or natural spring fed lake?

crackers42

There is stocking in Zec but not much in Kipawa

I can only speak for the east end of the lake traditional spawning are spots like red pine, rabid, Che field, north river etc and waters down this way in my mind are superior to the west end up around Kipawa

Average is 16 inches biggest I have ever brought in the bought was 34” although I have seen numerous 35,35 inch and above when ministry is taking samples at red pine.  We routinely catch 3 lb to 8 lb fish with the odd 10 pound plus thrown almost every week we are out

Jogging is best until the water warms up to 65 after start grilling.  You will find a lot bigger fish trolling versus jogging.  First week of June start trolling until Labor Day.  If you want lake trout top 10 feet until first week in May then jig for them when the themocline sets in

Lake is controlled by opening and closing the dam along with run off

Bugs are starting now and will be bad up until first week in July then the mosquitoes and horse flies are on until middle sept

Best time for bugs is opening weekend there aren’t any

Hope this helps

Hodgey1

Quote from: crackers42 on May 28, 2019, 09:08:25 AM
Jogging is best until the water warms up to 65 after start grilling.

Crackers, did you mean to say, Jigging is best until the water warms up to 65 after start trolling?

Walleye Rock!

crackers42

crackers42

Fish are tightly schooled and sluggish until 65 is when they will move into the shallower flats to feed and then around 72 to 75 they will move to the summer grounds around 30 to 35 feet but we still catch them in 10 to 15 in the morning and evening

First two weeks of June are the best catching numerous 5 lb Plus fish in as little as four feet

Jay Thomas

From a Google search, I found information that stated that the plan is to stock Lake Kipawa with 38,000 lake trout each year In 2015, they actually put in 50,000 lake trout. However, there may be some better up to date information.

Jay

Hodgey1

Quote from: Jay Thomas on May 28, 2019, 02:20:28 PM
plan is to stock Lake Kipawa with 38,000 lake trout each year In 2015, they actually put in 50,000 lake trout.
Jay, That’s a lot of trout! I should be able to snag at least one shouldn’t I? :D
Walleye Rock!