Keeping the Boat Organized

Started by T-Bone, June 18, 2014, 11:53:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

T-Bone

Well, as we approach the 5-week mark until our departure, planning and prep starts to really take shape. This year, I'm committed to not buying any more tackle (I'm overloaded!), but I'm turning my attention to boat organization. Last evening we went over to Cabela's to look at rod holders and the like, but didn't really find what I was looking for. I'm not necessarily looking for a rod holder for when we're trolling or drifting, but rather when we're NOT fishing and going from HERE to THERE. We always seem to struggle keeping the camp boat organized. Too much tackle, probably 3 rods per person, bait containers, net, fish finder, anchor, cooler (  ;D ), and whatever else ends up in there besides our beer-bloated bodies.

I'm confident many of you have suggestions for this, and I guess I'm asking for them. I've seen some pics online with plastic milk crates featuring PVC rod holders, BoatMates organizers, etc. Any suggestions out there? Any homemade creations that help you keep your "Kipawa office space" tight, and rigged right? Pics are appreciated if you've got them.

Whew...37 looooong days to go....
Embrace every moment...you only get it once

RHYBAK

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

T-Bone

Quote from: RHYBAK on June 18, 2014, 12:31:44 PM
Good Luck

Two more sleeps.

You're really not adding any value here now, are you?  :'(

Just think, only 10 sleeps until you're on your way home! Har har...hardy har har.... ;D

RHYBAK

Lol..... Then to the cottage for what????

MORE FISHING ;) ;) ;) ;)

Mattie

I do make the boat a mess sometimes!  ;D

RHYBAK

T-Bone

Since I'll be fishing WAY before you ,I'll try to take a picture of our boat and post it for you.

SgtCrabby

Good Thread T-Bone,
I'm interested in whatever suggestions also. 

36 very long days to go...

T-Bone

Quote from: RHYBAK on June 18, 2014, 01:27:30 PM
Lol..... Then to the cottage for what???? MORE FISHING ;) ;) ;) ;)

Once again, I fail to see how this helps me. Clearly you're not working hard enough where you have so much time off scheduled.  ;)

However, given that you may have a helpful solution to my inquiry, I will reserve any disparaging remarks until I know for sure.

And Mattie...you're no more messy than those other jamokes we're up there with. It may be time for me to don my Captain Ahab hat again in the boat. Ask Marco about that fun.

RHYBAK

No Extra time scheduled off.
Just my regular work Monday to Friday and fishing Saturday and Sunday....almost every week.

puckster_guy

Ya rhybak but at least I get to go to kipawa to MY cottage there almost every other weekend!!!!!
Days spent fishing don't count against life :)

puckster_guy

having said that...my boat also looks like a tornado hit it and I usually fish alone. I can use some of those tips too lol
Days spent fishing don't count against life :)

Oarin

T-Bone, we use metal coat hangers bent like a capital N and duct tape them to the side of the boat with the left side up and down part over the side of the boat. They easily can support 3 rods and reels and keeps them out of the way when they're not being used. We also tie hinge clips (heavy duty) on the bow and aft tie up ropes. It makes for a much faster escape from the boat when bugs are bad. Just click them onto the metal dock hoops and you're out of there.

T-Bone

Thanks Oarin...I'll set that up...great tip. Any others out there? I know some of you probably like things set right in the boat. Any tips are welcome...doesn't have to be the next big contraption. Thx.

Oarin

T-Bone, if you try the coat hangers don't cut them, leave it connected where the twisted part is so there are two wires(?) holding the poles. Just cut off the hook at the top. 31 more days!!! Bought the rib eye steak and a bunch more stuff today! If you don't have a vacuum sealer for your meats and sauces you should consider it. They really  keep the stuff fresh and compact. I'll be anxiously awaiting Rybak's report.

Dog

T-bone
Great topic! I always try to.keep.as much crap off the floor as.possible
Tripping on crap always.makes the boat feel more cluttered to me.
To accomplish this I use zip ties, caribenerrs along with coat hangars cut and bent into handmade hooks over the gunwale to hang bags or keep the landing net in place...

It really depends on what kind of boat you have and how permanent you want the organization to be....get creative.
I walk around home depot and lowes on my lunch breaks to stretch my legs AND to think of ways to repurpose stuff (for instance a grey electrical conduit box makes a great little cigar holder and ash tray for about $2.50. The kayak clip on style drink holders work on most gunwales for 3.50.... etc

side note maybe this thread should get moved to the boat section?...
One more cast...