Whitefish

Started by puckster_guy, June 19, 2019, 09:06:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JLG

1st fish with the adipose fin looks like a whitefish while the 2nd is a fall fish (big chub)

Rico

Quote from: JLG on June 21, 2019, 05:23:51 PM
1st fish with the adipose fin looks like a whitefish while the 2nd is a fall fish (big chub)
x2

Fort Wisers

Quote from: Rico on June 23, 2019, 06:54:04 AM
Quote from: JLG on June 21, 2019, 05:23:51 PM
x2
X3

Balsams

Puck, The most surprising thing about this thread if that you potentially caught a white (silver) bass in GB!!!! I have never heard that before. Behind Beausoliel to the west is a spot to called The Hole where we used to catch nice clean salmon in July Aug.

puckster_guy

Hey, cool, Balsams. I spent about 12 years fishing that water. A buddy was equipped with down riggers and we'd troll for salmon out towards Christian Island. I almost miss fishing there. I just got tired of being blown off the lake.
Days spent fishing don't count against life :)

Calicofishing

The bottom picture of the fish is a Chub and reaches several pounds. The Chubs like fast moving water
They are not the same as a Whitefish.

limacharley

That first picture is indeed a whitey while the second is a fallfish as others have concurred.

Several times over the last 8 years, schools of fallfish are feeding near our dock. We run up to camp and get a few pieces of bread,
roll pieces into little balls and feed the school wishing they were brook trout. It's a lot of fun.
They attack the bread voraciously. I swear there are some that are nearly 2 pounds.

Any idea if there are whiteys in Hunter's lake?  @wayne?
Everybody is a genius.
But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree,
it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
- Albert Einstein

wayne

Yes there are white fish in the area. We used to catch them through the ice, when we could icefish. Most guests catch them accidentally while fishing for walleye.

Calicofishing

The second picture is a lake Chub