To Troll or Not To Troll - - That is the question

Started by T-Bone, June 25, 2019, 09:59:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

T-Bone

OK…I’ll admit it…I’m interested to hear what’s so great about trolling. I have so many questions I’m not sure where to begin. To make it easy, I’ll give my current perspective on how I see trolling…both from observation and from relatively limited experience, and only from the angle of targeting walleye. It may sound like I’m arguing a position against trolling…I am not…just giving my current perspective. Any insights, suggestions, and tips are appreciated in advance.

Why trolling? If 90% of the fish are in 10% of the lake (probably more like 95/5), isn’t trolling largely a waste of effort 90% of the time?

Yeah…I know…the standard reply here is “trolling helps you find the fish”. Maybe…if you get one I suppose you could argue it helped you find “a fish”. Then what? Troll past the location again? And again? And again to see if there are, in fact, fish stacked there? And if they are, I’d assume you’d post-up and jig, slip bobber, or cast there. Right? Or do you keep trolling for some reason?

High-percentage locations can be identified on a map; why would you need to troll to find fish?

As long as you have a basic idea of how to read a bathy map and what structure the fish are likely to use given current wind and lake conditions, why waste a minute trolling? Wouldn’t it be a better use of time to ID several (5-10) likely structure locations on a bathy map and book around seeing which one is holding fish? And once you ID a pattern, you find similar structure and work that once a “spot” cools off.

Trolling crankbaits and similar lures seems to require some level of complexity with boat speed, line let-out, wave considerations, current considerations, depth adjustments, etc.

In my experience, I just throw the lure out there a ways behind the boat (no idea how far…not measured) and focus on a depth to keep the boat moving through. For example, I have a Hot-N-Tot on that runs about 9’-10’ at lowest backtrolling motor speed…so I keep the boat in 10’-14’ of water. Are there instances where you troll the same bait in 20’ or 30’ or 40’ of water? Yes…I know if you see a bait fish cloud at 15’ over 40’ of water you would then, but then you’d have to follow the bait cloud around (if possible) and troll around through it. Seems like a lot of chasing and not a lot of high-percentage fishing.

So, what’s the deal on crawler harnesses? On bottom? Middle water column? Other?

In my experience these things are too much hassle. Adjusting weight to speed, letting line out, snagging up, twisting the weight around the harness which is twisted around the hook which is twisted around the bait. I’ve read on this board everything from fishing them right off the bottom to getting them down somewhere between bottom and top. Which is best? Of course, if you mark suspended fish you would gauge how far down to troll/drift the harness and put weight on accordingly. But my contention would be this; if you mark suspended fish why wouldn’t you just slip bobber them? Or cast a crank to them?

I’m sure more questions will come out, but let’s start here. Thanks all…

Embrace every moment...you only get it once

Ozzy30

I do troll for many different species but I will keep my response to walleye fishing.  Usually when I'm trolling at Kipawa I am just covering water and trying to find new spots to fish.  I locate a lot of fish along shoreline structure while trolling and then when I locate some fish I will mark the spot on my GPS. If I get nothing trolling by the location then I will go back and do exactly what you said, jig them up. I have trolled everything from harnesses on bottom bouncers and without any weight at all, suspending crankbaits in 10-25ft of water and I have trolled worm harnesses with a couple really big split shots or deep running cranks over 80ftw (a trick I learned at a local lake).  I think there really isn't a bad answer to troll for walleye just the way you prefer.  Some days the weather is to rough to jig in the middle of the lake so I troll.  I definately catch more fish at Kipawa jigging but some days trolling and feeling the walleye smash the lure is just to much fun to pass up.

Jay Thomas

Hi Todd,

We all have our own personal preferences for how we like to fish. Without question, I like to be moving (back trolling with a bottom bouncer).

As I have stated in many posts, I back troll for walleye at least 80% of my time spent walleye fishing. I troll because I’m not clever enough to pre-determine where pods of walleye (> 10 walleye) will be found. Indeed, in all the years that I have back trolled for walleye in Kipawa area lakes, I have not often found locations where pods of walleye are located.  What I typically see on my sonar unit is one, two or maybe even three walleye together. And sometimes when we’re lucky, my fishing partner and I will each catch a walleye in such a situation.

However, you are right, when I do find a pod of walleye, I will switch to a more efficient fishing method (e.g. vertical jigging, horizontal jigging, slip bobbering). I certainly don’t have anything against catching walleye with a jig. Indeed, one night on Lake Hebert, my fishing partner and I landed 98 walleye while jigging for 2 hours after supper.

Re crawler harnesses

I typically attach my crawler harness (single # 4 or 5 colorado blade + 2 hooks) to a 2 ounce bottom bouncer any time I’m fishing between 15 and 30 FOW. I’ll go to a 3 ounce bottom bouncer or larger if required by water depth or wind/current conditions. My objective is to keep my bait just above the bottom (2 or 3 inches). I accomplish this by letting my bouncer touch bottom every 30 seconds or so.  Do I ever get snagged â€" sure â€" but it only happens occasionally â€" maybe twice a day. And usually, I'm able to retrieve my gear.

Although I don’t do this, there are some who simply long line crawler harnesses using the 50/50 method. For instance, if one attaches a ¾ ounce snap weight 50 feet in front of a crawler harness and then lets out another 50 feet of line, the crawler harness will run at 13-17 down in the water column if trolled at 1 mph.

While I don’t mind trolling crankbaits/stickbaits, I don’t do it often because usually my fishing partner isn’t equipped to use that method. I have the 8th Edition of Precision Trolling and I have well over 100 crankbaits.  A couple of times, when fishing alone, I have enjoyed success trolling a Hot N Tot about 25 down in the water column. A good line counter reel spooled with Fireline 14/6 makes trolling crankbaits in the zone easy. Similarly, I use a line counter and magnum dipsy divers to troll deep for lake trout.

Lastly, whatever method one opts to use, it’s absolutely mandatory to have the bait/lure where the fish are â€" whether they are on the bottom or suspended somewhere between the top and the bottom. A great sonar unit is well worth its cost.

Just providing some of my thoughts.

Jay

Greg

Hey Todd,

I think, and to be blunt (but friendly) - you are over thinking it...  the answer to all your questions is... because it is relaxing an it allows you to enjoy a beverage and listen to music and talk with your family/buddies.

Ok.. so now some more detailed responses... for me, I mix it up, I jig, I troll, I work a shore line and cast - all because I can and I enjoy them all, but to much of one thing can also be tooooo much.

I find (again, just my experience) trolling produces larger fish (on average) - jigging does produce numbers, as you mention (you have to find those pods where as you say 95% of the fish are in 5% of the water), but definitely larger walleye hunt down and munch-munch on crank baits!

And it is not all that complex - if you are running three lines out a boat, the one closes to shore - put on a cotton cordel that dives about 5 or 6 feet, the line out the middle of the boat in back - put on a 6 to 8 foot diving crank bait (or even 10) and make an attempt to keep the boat at the 10 to 12 foot depth - and the line out towards the center of the lake - put on whatever is working - try deeper!  Try another shollow diver (2 feet - you never know what is suspended out there just hanging around watching the sun set - I've gotten some big pike that way).  Yes, put out lots of line - at least 5 boat lengths, if not 6 or 8 boat lengths.  Yes, adjust your speed from 1.2mph to 2.3mph - whatever seems to be working.

So, for worm harnesses - we had another conversation about those in another thread about 2 weeks ago... use as surface, put a twister weight on it and it runs 3 to 5 feet deep depending on speed, or put it behind a bottom bouncer (Jay's specialty!) with lots of line out - it all doesn't matter - just hook up, put the rod in the rod holder and enjoy the beautiful kipawa scenery, some music, some beverages and spending time with your family or buddies... because it is relaxing.

Enjoy...

Greg (18 days)

Tree cutter

I fish sasseginega which isn’t to far from Kipawa always the 2 or 3rd week in June. I troll with the smallest hot n tot in 8 to 10 ft of water. Sure I get snagged but it seems if it isn’t hit rocks I’m not catching fish. I love to jig at prime times of the day but when the jigging gets slow I go trolling. I picked up 2 of my biggest walleyes around 11 am trolling. One 28 and other 29 and half not to mention the size of the pike that will smack that little hot n tot.

Balsams

There is structure all over a lake. Fish will stack up at times in limited areas, but as the season goes on they will scatter due to temperature, cover and mainly bait. Like Greg said it allows you to explore and see the lake.

Hodgey1

This is a great topic, with already many great responses. I’m completely walleye trolling clueless and read all of this information with much interest. Thanks all for sharing your years of experience!
Walleye Rock!

getthenet

We all go to Kipawa hoping to catch a lot of fish , and large ones at that . However , if that's the only reason you go , your missing out on a lot . You figure in the conditions and put yourself on the best location you can . Whether I'm jigging or trolling , as long as I'm on the lake with a line in the water, I'm a happy camper !

CaptainCrappie

My first several years at Kipawa I trolled and trolled and trolled. Why?  Because when our boat did try jigging, and if there was no action in a half hour or so, we would get antsy and start trolling again.  While jigging, back then, it was as if time was wasting away (especially if no action). The nature of trolling itself exposes more sights and my brain didn't seem to shift back into neutral.  As the years progressed and after getting to meet more experienced jig fisherman, and through the former Kipawa web site, corresponding  with several members, (T_Bone was one) I slowly began to rethink my jigging opinion of being somewhat boring.  One of General Rhybak's crew (Colonel Steve) gave me some terrific advise one day in Gerry's fish house. He told me an important part of jig fishing is "confidence in your spot." This also includes slip bobbering. With that confidence, anticipation and concentration goes up, and success seems to happen more often.  I have concluded that sooner or later you'll catch fish at your chosen spot or any other spot on that beautiful lake, if you have enough time to wait for em. Enjoy yourself no matter what you're doing as there are no guarantees that those pesky fish will bite anyways..

C.C.
You don't get these days back.  Live each day as if it were your last and one day you will be right.

GregL

Quote from: Hodgey1 on June 26, 2019, 06:57:22 AM
This is a great topic, with already many great responses. I’m completely walleye trolling clueless and read all of this information with much interest. Thanks all for sharing your years of experience!

You will have to come with us for a walleye troll in September! With 4 or 6 people in the boat we can really cover most of the water column.

Trolling is our go to, if we aren't finding good schools.

We certainly need to sharpen up on our ability to pick areas that fish like to hold based on weather etc. Our confidence in finding shorelines to fish shallower than 15' has evaded us, that 15' to 25' depth seems to be magic for us. I would love to grab a stick bait and troll in 10' and catch'm, but this lake makes me nervous at that depth LOL!

T-Bone

Wow...let's take a breather here and let me catch-up:

Ozzy: Got it; use trolling to get a better detailed 'map' of the lake structure and note marked fish. Good use of time and effort that can pay dividends when heading out to pound the jig. And who knows...you may pick up a nice wally.

Jay: Pretty technical stuff there and probably a little too complex for the leisurely fishing approach I prefer; and I believe we discussed before...I don't rely on electronics to find walleyes...only the structure as to where the walleyes should be given current conditions. Really good depth of info though, it's clear you know the ins and outs of trolling techniques. Thanks.

Greg: If I had a rig like yours I'm sure trolling the lake and enjoying a few brews would be awesome; you can control the boat speed down to <1 MPH, nice comfortable seating, bimimi top to block the polarizing sun. Can you feel the jealousy?  ;D And I'd say you're probably right...I am overthinking it. I know I can catch fish jigging and have at least 30+ proven spots near Alwaki that have produced fish at some point or another. A friend of mine told me trolling is for fisherman that don't know where to look for the fish, so they look everywhere. I don't think that's it, but it does seem like taking "the long way" to reach an objective. Cruising with tunes and a cold beer is appealing, at all times...

Tree: Small baits, tipping rocks, big fish.  ;) I have a handful of those small Tots and I'll give it a try. I know just the run I want to try too. Thanks.

Balsams: In late-July it would be my take the fish are stacked on very certain locations on very certain locations (redundancy by design). The trick is getting on that very certain location. I'm not sure how "spread out" is defined, but when we're into a good bite I'd estimate fish groups numbering in the 30+ range....probably many more than that. If you're catching 20 or more fish in an hour, you'd have to believe they're not the same fish and that there are bunches of them down there.

Hodgey: I know why you want to learn about trolling...getting a little 'BP' in your blood...  ;D

Get: I go to catch fish, bigs are a bonus, numbers are preferred to size. And like what was recently said, I think the trip is more of a relaxing trip into the woods where a little fishing breaks out from time to time.

CC: Wise words. Jigging does require confidence in your approach, the ability to read the conditions and the map, and the flexibility to "try the next spot" when things get slow. It's actually a pretty simple approach to fishing...which is probably why I prefer it.

GregL: 4 to 6 people trolling in a boat? THAT would be something I MUST see!!!! Sheesh...my group of guys with (3) lines in the water trolling out of the same boat is like watching an old 3 Stooges episode...just shy of a melee at any given time. From Alwaki, in summer, I can think of at least 5-7 spots that have fish on them virtually every time we hit them. I'm not saying we're always successful with every spot, but I'd bet anything the fish are there (and we're just off the mark on hitting their exact location).   

Still not picking-up the "here's how you want to approach fishing a crawler harness" out of this thread other than there are many, many ways to do it. That may lend to versatility, but I'd bet there's a "best way", and then a handful of others that may work too.

Again...thanks all...great education.

Embrace every moment...you only get it once

Greg

Opinion time - because you are asking.  The best way to fish a worm harness is with a  rubber-twist weight about 5 feet in front of the worm harness - troll about 1.4 mph in 8 to 12 feet depth.  Put at least 100 feet of line out.  Enjoy!

As for your comments about my old boat you saw years ago, thanks!  It's been gone 3 years now though. I hope to show you the new rig sometime.  I rarely use my Bimini top - just gets in the way.

Greg. (...17)

crackers42

We have always used 3/8 ounce rubber core sinkers with a 15 hp going forward about 1.2

We can get down to bottom in 30 feet with about 45 feet out .  Just let it out until it lays flat on the top

If you are in 15 feet or less max you have put out is a couple feet more then the depth

Don’t understand why you would need 2-3 ounce bottom bouncers to get to bottom?

Unless I am totally missing something ?

Chumy77

Bottom bouncer with a  4 to 6 feet worm harness will bring your bait 1foot or 2 off the bottom and you don't have to drag it 100 ft behind the boat,as long as you have a 45% angle and feel the bottom your good.

smitty55

Quote from: crackers42 on June 26, 2019, 07:34:32 PM
Don’t understand why you would need 2-3 ounce bottom bouncers to get to bottom?Unless I am totally missing something ?

The general rule for bottom bouncers is for 1oz per 10ft of depth. Like chummy mentioned you don't want your line at any more than a 45° angle. Back trolling with a bouncer allows you to precisely cover specific structure areas that you could never do with standard trolling.

Cheers