Best line for trolling...

Started by T-Bone, July 14, 2019, 08:37:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

T-Bone

Picked-up a Lew's Mach II reel and rod combo; 6'9" med/fast rod and nice 10-bearing reel (2500 size). Want to set-up this combo with a 'trolling set-up' that could be used for trolling cranks, harnesses, large swim tail jigs, etc. This will NOT be used in a laker set-up unless we're jigging for them.

Interested in what line you trollers would recommend...assuming set-up is primarily for trolling walleyes and maybe the occasional casting for pike or walleye.

Thanks for the insights.

Embrace every moment...you only get it once

crackers42

8 lb Seagar with a 16 fluro leader bit you may find this has too much stretch if your casting

Captain Hali

Power Pro Depth-Hunter 15Lbs. test ( .007 dia. ) has 4 colors repeated every 100 ft.,for excellent depth repeatability tipped with 10 lbs. Seagar flourocarbon leader.

T-Bone

Requesting a little clarity here guys...

Seagar offers many different line types...Blue Label, Red Label, Invizx, Premier, etc. Any particular route to go there? And Crackers...to be clear...you're proposing a full spool of 8 lb. Seagar flouro with a 16 lb leader of Seagar flouro?

And I believe I've read it here before, but again wanted to confirm; IF your tipping your line with a flouro leader you DO NOT require the use of a steel leader. Is that correct?

Thanks.

Ozzy30

I use a braided 8-10lb braid.  I use a cheaper braid and then tip it with 15lb fluorocarbon from seaguar invisx.  I use the braid so all I have to change is the leader material when it starts to twist.  I don't use a steel leader when trolling walleye but a pike will bite through flourocarbon.  Everything I watch or read for leader material for pike is like 50-100 lb flourocarbon leader.  Just my preference, if I catch a pike trolling for walleye so be it.

crackers42

Damm spell check no 8 lb seagar mono for main and 10 lb flurocarbon leader

Although I do have reels with 100 percent fluro but you have to remember we won’t fish water 20 feet or more for pickerel so not worried about stretch

GregL

I use 10 Lb Suffix and a 12' Suffix Fluorocarbon leader (probably about 10' long) tied with double uni-knot.

I prefer to use braid the same thickness as 10 mono, it helps when using dive curves. Most dive curves have listings for the the thinner braid but not all, it is more common to use 10 lb mono in dive curves.

I'll switch back when it's time to reload the trolling rods, this stuff is way to expensive to waste!

puckster_guy

I use a 12 pound invisible mono. no leader steel or mono. The snap swivel offers enough protection from bite offs. I almost never  get bite offs and handles 20 lbs  pike with ease. ( just in case lol) I mostly troll cranks as getting a worm harness to the bottom and keeping them there a lot of trouble for me. I'm getting my fair share of walleyes.
Days spent fishing don't count against life :)

T-Bone

Thanks for the insights guys...picking up a pattern here.

And Puck...not exactly sure what you're saying...you use 12lb. mono but no mono...or leader. Huh? And how does a snap swivel protect from bite offs? [scratching my head]...

Quote from: puckster_guy on July 17, 2019, 01:31:51 PM
I use a 12 pound invisible mono. no leader steel or mono. The snap swivel offers enough protection from bite offs.

puckster_guy

I use no leader at all of any type. I see no need for them. The snap swivel gives about 3/4 of an inch of connecting steel, plus the lip of the crank, that's leader enough for me. A quality mono that's designed to be invisible to fish isolates the lure in the water from the boat, I also let out a lot of line to also do same. The strength of the line means I can coax big pike double the line strength, into the boat.
Days spent fishing don't count against life :)

Captain Hali

'Puck, what make of Mono do you use? I always thought that only flourocarbon was " invisible " because it has nearly the same refractive index as water.

crackers42

Tbone,

Just to clarify the leader is the worm harness

I tie my own and they are about 24 to 36 inches long

Rubber core up above the barrel swivel about six inches

This will make the harness float up about a foot

First are still around the 10 foot mark this week 5 feet down is 69 degrees

Villy91

Greg

Power Pro braid - 20lb or 30lb is what I usually buy in 500meter spools so I can use for at least 4 rods - and because I put it on all my bait casters, I just buy one brand, one spool and use it everywhere.

I do use leaders - small black metal stealth leaders with build in swivel and clasp - easy to use, protects you from a bit off and invisible enough.

Greg