Trolling motor advice

Started by RoK, July 25, 2019, 02:55:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RoK

Hi, I have a Princecraft 176 aluminum bowrider with 115 Mercury. I want to get a bow mounted electric trolling motor. I started looking online at Cabelas and Basspro just to get an idea of prices. Looking at a lot of the reviews, there does not seem to be a lot of overwhelming ratings until you get into the more expensive units.

I am not looking to spend a boat load and I don't need all the fancy options. A wired foot pedal is good enough for me. I just want something to get me into to those tricky spots. Additionally it would be good peace of mind when fishing in areas that are remote to have it in case of problems with my main motor.

Anyone have any suggestions based on personal experience?

Thanks!
Ron

Cheers, Ron

Greg

I used to have a princecraft pro166 with a 90hp merc very similar - I had a basic minnkota 24v (2 batteries) and a 60 inch shaft with a wired foot pedal and it was all electric (no cable steering) - new they are about $1200 to $1400) used you can pick one up for $600 or $800. 

Does that help?

RoK

Greg, thanks, sure that helps. I assume you were happy with it or you would not be mentioning it.
Cheers, Ron

Ozzy30

I'm really regretting not getting a 24v electric when I bought my new boat, they just last alot longer when away on trips.  I bought the adapter for co-pilot on my minnkota last year best investment ever so if you don't want to buy it now you might want to see if it is upgradeable down the road to ipilot of copilot.  I would really recommend minnkota though.

Greg

ROK - yes I was pretty happy with it - I did have to have the main circuit board replaced twice in about 9 years of ownership.  I did run it pretty hard several times into some thick thick weeds trying to get to another bay or opening I see in the distance.   Maybe not treating it with the utmost care which I should have.

I am thinking about an upgrade (to ipilot link) early next year and putting my 3 year old unit up for sale. 

Greg