Alwaki Lodge July 27 - August 3

Started by Hodgey1, August 07, 2019, 03:29:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hodgey1

Where in the heck did that week go?? I was just hitting my groove, with the perfect balance of relaxation and fishing, when it was time to start packing to leave. Dang, life has a way of reminding you all too well, that all good things must come to an end. As much as I understand and appreciate that, it would have been glorious to have 3 or 4 more days of peace and quiet and more time with family and friends.

I was looking forward to this week at Kipawa even more than the usual, because my brother who lives in Alabama was going to be along this trip. He is an outdoorsman like I am and I was really hopeful that he would enjoy the trip and fall in love with the tranquility of Kipawa as I have. I wasn’t disappointed.....We had a great week together, it was more one on one time than we’ve had in 35 years. He was taken by the beauty and serenity of all things Kipawa and he is intending on returning next year. Each of us, aren't getting any younger and we both agreed we need to do better at getting together at least once a year. Kipawa seems to be a great place to do that. I hope it works out again for next year.

Our trip started out smooth as silk from my home in Edinboro PA, with a 5:00 am roll out the driveway. I have thoroughly hated the trip up the 400 with a passion and why the earlier than normal departure this year. It seems we always hit it at the worst time and do the 70 mph to Zero, on and off most of way till the near Barrie area, crawl. Normal years we hit the road from my home at 7:00 am, what a difference two hours makes. My plan was to skip breakfast and hit Weber’s when they open at 10:30 for an early lunch. The traffic and border crossing were so smooth the entire way, we made Weber’s before 10:00am, so we decided to keep right on moving. With two gas/bathroom breaks, we made it to Temiscaming before 1:00, in the near record time of just under 8 hours. What a joy that was, relaxing at Tem Rose for lunch and a beer, then off to Pro Nature for Licenses and finally to IGA for our beer shopping. All that was complete and we were relaxing at the Au Bercail, sipping beers on the front porch by 4:00. Shortly after that, @T-Bone and his nephew @Mattie rolled in and a few minutes after that, my uncle and his crew pulled in from NJ. We all relaxed, shot the wind awhile and swilled a couple of beers. Off to Tem Rose for dinner and back for bed by 9:00.

It all begins: Saturday morning, we grab a quick breakfast, bait and boats are into the water by 9:30am. As we left the dock, visions of camp being set up early and beers on the porch danced in my head. Nope, wrong... I turn around to make sure my uncle and his crew "who don't know the way to Alwaki" are following....... Nope. In the distance, it appears they have turned around heading back to the dock???

Who in the heck tows a boat 600 miles and doesn't PM the motor? Argg! Thank goodness-gracious, the boat shop next to the dock had the parts we needed. The crew went to wrenching on the boat "still in the water" and 90 minutes later the new impeller was in and we were heading out again. We head back out and the visions start again...... I look back and see that same boat crew, now paddling back to the dock. UGH! Now what? Oh, you mean you need to line up that shaft, so the motor will go into gear? Geezzzz. 43.5 minutes later, we are finally heading toward camp as large Grey clouds begin building. Thankfully we get to Alwaki in time and get our gear into the cabin before the rain sets in.

We finished getting things put away and it began raining and it looked like an all nighter. After about an hour, the clouds broke and there appeared to be an opening to do some fishing. I yelled to my brother “lets do it” and we hurried out to a favorite spot where it was fish-On! This turned out to be one of the best outings of the week, 18 fish in about 45 minutes and many of which were nice keepers. What a way to introduce my brother to Kipawa. Not long after that, it began raining sideways. My Brother says "let’s keep fishing, I don’t mind the rain" I say "Ah, Ok????" five minutes later, a clap of thunder close by and we hauled arss back to the dock. The New electric filet knife made very short work of them Eyes we kept.

The Walleye Fishing: Hmmm, this was a more challenging trip than any of my 4 pervious to Kipawa. We had to work more than usual to find fish. This was a lesson for me, since I have always been bad at leaving a slow spot. Not this trip! I burnt a whole lot of gas moving and shaking to find the bite. All in all, the jigging for Eye's this week was a bit tough, but still pretty good and plenty enough for a couple of meals of delicious Walleye. I would say my catch rate was down 25%, but the fish could all die and I think I'd still be back. I had the best intentions of trolling for Eye's this trip, but it never developed. Mostly since I tired of trolling after doing so during the day for Lakers. I always looked forward to getting my jig on every evening. Maybe next trip I will troll eyes?

The Trout Fishing: Another Hmmm, I apparently still have a lot more learning to do. We did about the same catch rate as last year, but I spent more time and effort doing so. I thought that this year having learned more from others, reading up and some new equipment, that things would improve. We were averaging 1 or 2 Lakers per outing with a 23.5" being our largest of 6 landed. I'm not complaining, but I need to improve or may abandon ship on Lakers at Kipawa. There's too much lag time between excitement for me. Typically, we were putting in 3-4 hrs in with 2 fish landed. I even deployed a technique suggested by @smitty55  of using Gang trolls. We used them on 2 outings and didn't notice an improvement in catch rate. The extra weight and other issues have me wondering about using them regularly. I desperately need a day on the waters of Kipawa with someone of the likes Oz or Smitty "who seem to do way better than I" and learn... Hint-Hint, wink..wink.

The Fellowship: A+ doesn't do it justice, as I have made some awesome friendships that are truly valued and appreciated. This part of my trips has quickly taken over as my favorite part of being at Alwaki. @Ozzy30  & his wife Les, @T-Bone , @Mattie  and the Crew from Tennessee, kept us all rolling with laughter and camaraderie. OZ & Les are super people, they hooked us up with fried Laker bites, that were awesome, not to mention Laker fishing tips and even gifted us lures. Tennessee John, brought pans of homemade desserts two nights along with Mackie, who both would sit and entertain us all. There were afternoons when our porch was beyond loaded with people chatting, drinking cold ones and enjoying time together, including Brian. I was even referred to as the mayor of Thompson island by someone. LOL.. Maybe?.....LOL. Then there’s T-Bone and his crew, though short a few people this trip, they still packed a serious Kipawa punch. We spent many afternoons, lifting 12oz at a time, keeping our beer muscles in shape. We also packed a cooler one afternoon, with some food & beers and went on tour. First stop was the Church at Hunter's Point and then snacks & bevs on a beach near Lake Audoin. What a great day, that I might even describe as life changing. Either the shot-gunned beer just kicked in or I was actual having one of those “Does life ever get better than this” moments at that beach.

As always, the accommodations and amenities at Alwaki were stellar. This was my fifth time there. My wife and I are now on our own countdown to Alwaki this September, our third year in a row, so take that for what it’s worth.

Since @Teach 's  daughter did such an amazing job doing a video for her dad, I was compelled to give it a shot myself. Check this link out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toFwLPz3dzY  I hope you all enjoy it, I did! LOL

I will close this ridiculously long trip report out, by saying “Life is Short, go spend some of it at Kipawa”

Left to Right: Oz Me T-Bone & Mattie

Walleye Rock!

Hodgey1

Walleye Rock!

Greg

Great report Hodgey, I see the "adventure day" concept has changed your life also... the destinations, the beach snack and swim, etc.... great to hear.

Awesome that you are going back! I am super jealous.

I hope we can meet up one day and enjoy a visit on the porch also!   ;D
Greg

Ozzy30

Great report Hodgey, Glad all you guys had a great week. Next year if I can make it up for a long weekend again I'll get you out with us trolling for lakers.  It was great seeing you again

NovarDave

Enjoyed your report, especially the video.  Thank you for sharing.

Chazz

Great reading - did you buy leeches at pronature if so how was the size

Hodgey1

For those early viewers, like @Greg and @Ozzy30 , the video link may not have worked. I had a setting wrong on YouTube that had it private. It is now enabled to be viewed by anyone with the Link I posted http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toFwLPz3dzY Sorry..... ::) Technology...I’m getting old......... :(
Walleye Rock!

Greg

Thx!   The video is well done!  Great pics.  Makes me want to go back tomorrow!

Cheers. Greg

Chumy77

Great video really enjoy it, maybe next time I will be heading at that end of the lake with my own boat. Thanks for a great report ,Cheers!!

Jay Thomas

Thanks very much for your trip report Chris. It was a great read and your video was outstanding. Glad to read that you had such a good time.

Jay

Ozzy30

Les and I watched the video last night.  Great job and fun times

T-Bone

Great report Hodgey...loved the video also. Such a great week...I'd go back again in a minute to relive it. Next year...more Bleue in your cooler!!! (I'll stock it)

Embrace every moment...you only get it once

Ozzy30

I could start to like Bleue if you are offering to stock coolers.

NortonJoe

Great report and video! Loved it all.  Our group is heading out tomorrow for my 31st year up there. Lac Watson, here we come!
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
~Henry David Thoreau

limacharley

Nice report Hodgey; Thank God Bucher's had what you needed to fix that motor.
Some day I will make it to that church.

Some of the greatest thunderstorms have rolled through that basin-great to watch!
And yes the camaraderie is what's really important.
Everybody is a genius.
But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree,
it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
- Albert Einstein