Proper Transducer Mounting

Started by Hodgey1, August 19, 2019, 07:47:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hodgey1

While mounting my new Garmin 73sv transducer, I watched a few different youtube videos on the proper mount of a transducer. It seem like there are varying opinions on how to do that. Some say to have the transducer flush with the bottom of the boat, while others suggest a slight distance below? My old unit was flush to the bottom and maybe a bit above it. It never gave me any data at plane, should it?

The Videos also mentioned not mounting it anywhere there's any pultrusion's on the bottom of the boat, in line or in front of the transducer. The entire bottom edge of my boat is a riveted edge.
Walleye Rock!

puckster_guy

I mounted mine just below the transom. That keeps it in the water when on plane and working at speed.
Days spent fishing don't count against life :)

GregL

Really depends on the hull, if it's glass I think you can mount level or 1/8" below below the bottom. I think on aluminum hulls they need to be a bit deeper.  I mounted my 2D ducer so the seam in the sided of the transducer was even with the rivets that join my transom to the bottom hull.

I'm going to be dropping it another 1/8" or so below the rivets to see if I can get a little stronger read when I'm on plane.

This is what mine looks like, but it does loose bottom more than I would like.

Gordo2270

Only real way is to try different height's to see what works best, lot of people are worried about damage when loading boat.

let us know your results after use

Gordo

Hodgey1

I took it out for a test today, with the transducer about level with the bottom of the boat. At 25mph, I lost the signal to the bottom of the lake. I am going to lower it a bit and see what happens.
Walleye Rock!