slow death

Started by 600 miles north, June 23, 2014, 09:17:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

600 miles north

Does anyone use the slow death rig when fishing on Kipawa?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFmiEFJ0OM0

Brad
600 miles north is where I'd rather be!

T-Bone

Dammit 600...I WAS committed to not purchasing any more tackle this year. Well...that's blown now.

We're not big crawler harness guys or bottom bouncer fans on Kipawa (very rocky where we fish), but we've said we're going to give it a try this year to try and get into some bigger fish.

For those ready to jump in with me, here you go...

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Mustad-Slow-Death-Hooks-Per/742632.uts?productVariantId=1606789&srccode=cii_17588969&cpncode=26-362083227-2&WT.tsrc=CSE&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=02745528&rid=40
Embrace every moment...you only get it once

SgtCrabby

I have used them. They seemed to work well. 
My only complain is that even with a good swivel you still get a lot of line twist which is the only reason I don't use them anymore.

puckster_guy

Hi Sarge I feel the same way about using spinners and spoons. They twist the line far too much. I have yet to find a good swivel to counter that. I may try an inline swivel and then a snap swivel at the lure to see if that helps
Days spent fishing don't count against life :)

SgtCrabby

Puckster,  The 'double' swivels of an in-line and a snap helps some, but for my liking it still twists the line too much. 
Maybe someone knows of a line that isn't prone to twisting?

600 miles north

LOL T-bone... I said the same thing, until I got out my tackle last night and got "the itch" to stop at my local sporting goods store and "have a look around"  ;)

PG and SgtCrabby thanks for the insight, something to think about for sure

Brad
600 miles north is where I'd rather be!

rambler

Braid or Fireline will help with the line twist. I also put a colored bead in front of the hook for some color.

johnny walleye

I like walking sinkers with a 18 -24 inch leader but might give it a try.
let you know when I get back in Aug.

Dog

@600 miles north  Brad,
I've used these with mixed results... (best results with 3 way weighted rig in flowing water, e.g. river) about the same as anything else in the tackle box to be honest. I need to get into the fishing tackle or diet industries... both are heavily populated with products that make remarkable claims on results without any regulatory body to ensure the manufacturer claims are valid. haha... hey my slip jigging rigs catch more walleye than anything else on the market in case you're looking for a sure proof way to catch more walleye ;-)

If a piece of tackle doesn't work when I use it, it's probably operator error due to excessive inebriation! haha

One more cast...

Fishn Deep

Guy I fish with is an antique lure and tackle collector and sold tackle for awhile. He always said that 75% or more of stuff on the market caught more fisherman than fish.  :)

This year on our trip I decided to experiment with crawler rigs and bottom bouncing. The first two rigs were so tangled when they came out of the pack that one ended up in a worthless pile of knots and the other one had a worse fate after some choice words. Finally the third time was a charm but after the second pass trolling I reeled in only to find nothing but a huge freaking tangled mess on the end of the line as the bait rig and bottom bouncer decided to do the tango. That was it. Thought of T-Bone's theory...jig, jig, and jig some more and that is what I did.

Jay Thomas

Two of us had planned to use slow death hooks behind bottom bouncers while we fished together at Lac Hebert. Unfortunately, we never got around to trying it. However, I had read that using a good ball bearing swivel at the bottom bouncer and heavier pound test line to the slow death hook could eradicate almost all line twist. As a consequence, I had pretied a half a dozen slow death set ups with 20 pound mono. I'm going to make time in mid Aug while at Club Trout Lake to try this method out. I'll include my observations in my trip report.

Jay

JigginFool