What would you ask from Santa if..

Started by ziggy6, December 05, 2019, 08:12:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ziggy6

So the gang and myself have decided to make a switch over to Alwaki lodge this year after several wonderful years at Ogascanan. Now we figure this is a wonderful time to ask Mr Santa for some new equipment for the new lake/lodge. 
So I guess my question would be what equipment (lures, line, etc) would you be asking from Mr. Claus if you were in our position?
  Oh, we do realize that over loading on tackle we would use is a forgone conclusion....thanks for any advice and Cheers!   

T-Bone

Same stuff you'd use at Ogas you would use on Kipawa. A good GPS unit comes in handy when you find the spot on the spot and need to mark a waypoint. In some cases, finding structure about the size of an automobile is the key, and in an area of the lake where there's miles between shorelines, that's pretty specific. Pull right up...drop that anchor...pound that jig.

But, if you haven't enjoyed the pleasure of a St. Croix rod to date, you may want to ask Santa for one of those...  ;). I prefer a 6'6" Med/Fast one piece. Eyecon and Premier rods are what I have and I love them.

166/231
Embrace every moment...you only get it once

Rico

x2 what T-Bone said. Maybe it would be a good time to go through your gear and ask Santa for items that get overlooked. Like new safety equipment to replace outdated gear. How about a new first aid kit, or fresh batteries for flashlights and electronics. Use your imagination and the list can go on and on. And don't forget to leave out a treat for Santa. ;D ;D

Dog

@ziggy6

Having taken trips on both bodies of water, 1 on Kipawa @TBL and 7 on Lake O... what you'll experience is Kipawa is much much larger than Lake O. It can be overwhelming as a newcomer...
I would encourage your group to focus on 2 or 3 specific areas on Lake Kip that are normally productive for the time of year you plan on attending Alwaki (check the trip reports thread and reach out to those who have gone in the past during the same time frame)... This is to say... if going to Lake O in May or June, we'd concentrate on much different locations (and depths) than if going on late July or August... however the tackle and tactics would be relatively the same per species. Also be prepared to be annoyed by bass, unless you're a fan of catching them.... Either way, best of luck and I'm sure the forum will surely help you with tips and tricks for your time of year and that location. -Nate
One more cast...

Oarin

Dog had it right. Good luck, and from what I've heard on the board Alwaki is an excellent camp. July can't come soon enough!

ziggy6

Thank you for taking time out to reply ...We are excited about trying someplace new .  We understand we'll be starting a new learning curve and we appreciate the help and words of wisdom in helping us get started..     We cant wait!!!!!. 
Enjoy the holidays!   Ziggy

Ozzy30

Great thread and I think you are really going to enjoy Alwaki.  I am not sure if you will be chasing anything other than walleye but if you do plan on trying to catch Lakers let me know I can expand your list for you.  One great thing about Alwaki is the amount of locations you can catch great #'s of fish in sight of the lodge.  Good luck with your list.