Miminiska Lake 2016 - another report for a cold winters eve

Started by gordy28ca, February 04, 2020, 09:16:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gordy28ca

In 2016 I scored a solid invitation. My father in law invited me to go on a work trip for 4 nights to Miminiska Lake with Wilderness North out of Thunder Bay

Mim is just a widening of the famed Albany river - and it was my first experience on a true fish factory

Overall it was an amazing trip and being so far North was a dream come true for me.  Some corners of the Lake made me feel like I had wandered onto the set of Alone or Survivorman

My father in law and I were able to see a Timber Wolf run up and down a shoreline watching us (like dinner in my mind lol)

Full write up is here

https://www.northernjacks.com/post/one-lucky-son-in-law

Cheers

Andrew

My outdoors blog www.northernjacks.com

Oarin

Greg

Great write-up... wow.  What an experience.  Great job Gordy!

Jig and drift

Wow that's a great experience    Not your typical fly in trip at all.  I have enjoyed reading your old trip reports to break up the winter blues.

gordy28ca

Thanks guys
Definitely was a trip of a lifetime and as mentioned I was/am a lucky SIL for sure
The Lodge was an interesting experience - personally I like being catered to on the shorter trips - means I can spend more time on fishing.    Honestly my only complaint was that for many of  the guys it was a work thing so they spent time schmoozing after dinner and a lot of nights and early mornings I fished by myself relatively close to the lodge
Glad you are enjoying the reports and the blog - I am still working on my writing style and trying to come up with new post ideas (I only fish so much and not at all in the winter lol)
Again appreciate the feedback
Andrew

Greg

"Honestly my only complaint was that for many of  the guys it was a work thing so they spent time schmoozing after dinner and a lot of nights and early mornings I fished by myself relatively close to the lodge"

That, my friend, is to be celebrated - fishing alone sometimes is the best!!!  Don't look back at this negatively, I would look back at it as "great time, AND I EVEN GOT TO FISH ALONE A COUPLE OF TIMES"   ;D

gordy28ca

So true Greg = was guilty of looking a gift horse there
I think I missed the admiration and camaraderie you get when catching fish on a few of those outings but the flip side was not explaining my choice of spots or baits!

CaptainCrappie

Gordy, I too like to fish alone at times.  The solitude is perfect for all those memories that are still there, just waiting to be visited again. Not all the memories are happy but those are OK too, because it's your life. It's amazing how many things you can remember if you try.  Remembering past friends and relatives can bring a tear or a smile, it doesn't matter.  How many times have we said to ourselves... "It seems like only yesterday that....."  Before you know it, this gift of life will pass, then it's on to the next but for now, I'm smelling some of those roses on this side if the pearly gates. 

C.C.
You don't get these days back.  Live each day as if it were your last and one day you will be right.

gordy28ca

C.C
I hear you and thanks for sharing
The very first thing I wrote on my blog was my "origin" story re why I like fishing and the outdoors so much
As a kid I spent a huge amount of time with my Maternal Grandfather, my Pop.  He loved to take us fishing, camping, hiking or for a boat ride.  He loved Balsam Lake (Kawarthas Ontario) so much thats where his ashes were spread and I think in many ways thats why I love being on the water so much, it reminds me of him
Cheers
Andrew