Quickdraw maps

Started by puckster_guy, February 15, 2020, 10:47:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

puckster_guy

Hi guys. Last year I bought a Garmin with the quick draw and side view. It was a birthday/ retirement present to myself. Well after a lot of trouble getting it working. I finally had to replace the "cradle" It's the quick release holder that attaches it to the pivot mount thar screws into the dash. Kudo's to Radio City for being kind and helpful in testing the unit and helping me to get it up and running. The repair came under the warranty and their service was outstanding, TYVM. I must have made 5 trips there between trips to camp. Anyway I finally got it working in late August. As well as I know the water around my camp I still felt naked and blind with out at least a working depthfinder/GPS, I never consider them "fishfinders" as they record structure and I rarely see fish with them unless I still fish. Even then I get hits with out the fish being seen on the display. I wonder how we managed on the water before these units became available.
The point of this post is I managed to map some of the area around Red Pine and I posted it on the Garmin site here... https://connect.garmin.com/modern/quickdrawDetails  The map is very incomplete and does not go into the same depth of detail that I get from the unit on the boat. It records the data onto a SD chip which you can then load into your computer. This is the part that pisses me off. In order to view the map I have to download it onto this web site for the world to see, Lack of detail and all. I want to be able to read the file on my computer to study the map for fishing spots. If any of you computer geniuses can find a way to read said file with out having to upload the map that would be huge. The file is named "contourslog.svy" I'd like to keep the maps to these pages here without showing the world.
I found structure I didn't know existed including and elusive rock that comes up out of nowhere, surrounded by 30 feet of water. Banged my prop off of it in an area I don't fish much. Now I know how to avoid it lol. I now have a ton of new spots to explore and find fish on that the standard Navionics map doesn't show. Check it out lemme know what you think and have fun I'll add more details (maybe) as I have more time to map. Turns out to be quite tedious to criss cross an area to get an accurate map but well worth the effort to find and map new structure both for boating safety and finding new spots on water I thought I knew well. One more minor beef, it draws maps in one foot increments which in a small area is helpful in knowing but when you zoom out it makes for a busy map as you'll see when you check out the map I drew.
Days spent fishing don't count against life :)

SgtCrabby

I don't know the answer.  If someone knows the answer, I would like to know too.
I also have the quick draw contour capability on my Garmin. 

Jay Thomas

Hi guys,

I've been running Lowrance sonars since 1985. My current Lowrance sonar is an HDS7 that I purchased way back in 2009. Regardless my lack of experience with Garmin sonars, I'm always intrigued with electronics questions - there's always something to learn.

With that said, I Googled "how does Garmin Quickdraw work". After I watched a couple of videos, I came across a web reference to Garmin Quickdraw questions and answers - see https://www.garmin.com/en-US/blog/fish-and-hunt/quickdraw-contours-qa/    For instance

Q: Do I have to upload my sonar logs to Garmin in order to get my map back?

A: Nope! There is no tedious process that requires you to upload sonar logs when you get home. Garmin doesn’t believe in forcing you to share your hard-earned data with us in order to get your map back.

Q: So you’re saying that I own my maps?

Absolutely! You own the maps you create, plain and simple. What you do with them is your decision. Our highly skilled marine cartography teams are on the water surveying 365 days/year to create the best lake maps on the market. It’s not your job to do theirs, which is why we aren’t forcing you to give us your sonar data in exchange for a map that you worked hard to create. That map is created as you drive around or fish, and is available instantly, without sacrificing quality. Quickdraw Contours is just one more added benefit for you, the angler.

So, bottom line Puckster, you don't have to share your map with the world unless you choose to do so.

Jay

puckster_guy

Thanks Jay, I don't mind sharing the maps amongst us as we are of a like mind. and if you wanna come to Red Pine for a days/weekend fishing trip I'm happy to share them with you. I posted the maps so you guys can do just that. However I would like to load the maps in similar detail onto my home PC so I can study them on a larger screen. Garmin hasn't offered me that option. I even talked to a nice lady in their customer service dept. and she said I can only view them if I upload them. I have a very good understanding of how this machine works but not in great detail. So I know there has to be software to read the file or my boat head unit wouldn't work. The unit I have is my first Garmin and I'm duly impressed with it. I Love this mapping feature and when I get to it I wanna chart the Kipawa river/ Sheffield lake region. I've taken a few drives up thru there and got some nice fish there. I'll continue to post maps as I get there so you guys can use them BUT!!! Garmin should let me read the map on my computer without having to"hack" it.

Hodgey1

I have the Quick draw and used it everywhere I fished last year in Kipawa. I will share whatever I have. I think it has to be done on the garmin site? When I figure it out, I will let you know.
Walleye Rock!

puckster_guy

Quote from: Hodgey1 on February 19, 2020, 03:46:11 PM
I have the Quick draw and used it everywhere I fished last year in Kipawa. I will share whatever I have. I think it has to be done on the garmin site? When I figure it out, I will let you know.
Look for Garmin connect on their web site. your gonna have to have an SD card reader to read the chip, then upload it to their mapping site.