Some advise on fishing locations for Newbies

Started by Gordo2270, February 19, 2020, 07:35:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gordo2270

Good day Kipawa fisherman, fisherwoman and friends of Kipawa, I’m trying to comply fishing areas from trip reports. Looking for some advice on fishing areas that I have discovered for our trip. Not looking for your honey holes unless you want to share over pm, just if we are in the ball park. Would love to get some spots in Lac Green if the eye’s are down there at this time of year.
Date: June 13, 2020 to June 20, 2020….right in bug season
Lodge: Miwapannee, new old lodge
Boats: 18 foot Lund fisherman and 19 foot with 115 evinrudes, fishfinderrs and gps.
6 guys with average plus fishing skills.

Areas of interest of Walleyes
1.   Trolling around the little island closest to Alwaki when heading up to Corbeau.
2.   Sand Banks
3.   Sunnyside
4.   Shorelines in Dead Bear Bay, the channel down to Sunnyside and Sunnyside itself
5.   The point toward the main lake just west of Lindros' camp has produced too...big structure there.
6.   Grindstone is a good sized with the following spots: bit of a hike from Miwapannee

- right hand side behind the island (right after you go through Butneys) is a good shoal
- there is a hump out in the middle for jigging where the lake trout like to hang out
- whole left side is cottages (all the tips of the island if the wind is going into them are good)
- island at the end of Grindstone on the right is a popular jigging spot

7. Fox Island area

Lake Trout Areas

From Smitty55 on fish-hawk

https://i.postimg.cc/MTGx7b7k/0B6iclP.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/L4Y5G21c/0EYm8QX.jpg

2. Centre of Dead Bear Bay

MORE TO COME AS I DIG DEEPER INTO MESSAGES AND LAKE TROUT AREAS ALSO

T-Bone

Yep... some decent areas there. Each about the size of 10 football fields...some monumentally larger...like a 1,000+ football fields...and the fish are grouped around an area on each about the size of your family room. Coming from that area is a good haul...and a lot of water between many of them. Given ur time frame I’d work one really hard each day. You’ll probably find some fish.

I’m confident there is proper structure closer to your camp holding fish that week. Good luck.
Embrace every moment...you only get it once

Gordo2270

Thanks T-Bone

hopefully James at the lodge can set us up...or there is always follow the other boats... and hope they know their stuff ....if not it's fifty creek and  brewski's

Gordo

Lets not forget mother nature.

Quote from: T-Bone on February 19, 2020, 08:22:07 PM
Yep... some decent areas there. Each about the size of 10 football fields...some monumentally larger...like a 1,000+ football fields...and the fish are grouped around an area on each about the size of your family room. Coming from that area is a good haul...and a lot of water between many of them. Given ur time frame I’d work one really hard each day. You’ll probably find some fish.

I’m confident there is proper structure closer to your camp holding fish that week. Good luck.

T-Bone

Hey Gordo...I re-read my reply and it may have come off wrong, and I certainly don't want to discourage you. It's clear you've done your homework sifting through information posted out here, and as stated none of it is technically incorrect. Then again, it's not necessarily telling or instructional either. As for shorelines, I'd say any location on the 1,100+ miles or shoreline is as good as the next, but they're not. Which one is better? What 100-yard stretch of this 5,000 yard shoreline has a higher percentage of hooking up? The answer is in the maps, then the wind, then the current, then the sky, then the water temperature, then the time of day, and even then the moon. That'll get you started.

More than anything, it's continuous fine tuning. And the spot that's producing at 6AM this day will not likely be producing at 6AM on the next day. That's why I stated "this" location or "that" location is just a name to try as a starting point...not necessarily THE spot for fishing success. What I was saying in the other post....if a "go to spot" is the size of a football field, the area of it holding fish is about as big as your living room. And on any given day....changes in wind speed and direction, sun, clouds, lake current, baitfish, weather fronts, etc. will move that little area by 100-feet or 1,000 feet. It can be frustrating. Over my 20 trips to Kipawa I've learned that reading the wind and the lake, more than anything, will tell you where the fish should be at any given time. By reading those correctly, that tells you what side of the field, what yard marker, what hash mark, and which end zone to begin looking for that spot on the spot. 

I've been up to the central area of the lake in mid-June, and I recall a lot of boats coming in "from town" to fish the Sunnyside area as (per the people on those boats) the post-spawn walleyes hadn't made it down that far south on the lake yet. Well, hmm...I'm not sure about that. Could be true, I suppose. But there are plenty of good structure locations around there that should hold as many fish as the central area of the lake. Just need to know what to look for.
Embrace every moment...you only get it once

smitty55

So I was trying to think of the best no fail spot for Pickeral in the hub area if size is no concern. Hmmm, then it came to me. :) Without a doubt the easiest, most relaxing laid back and productive spot is after dark fishing off the main Alwaki dock when the main lights are on. Wait till the skitters have died off. Pull up a lawnchair, maybe a small cooler, some worms or whatever along with some lighter jigs and some plastics, maybe some slip floats. Karl used to keep things there open fairly late for gas sales, specially on weekends. If the lights were on the big diesel genny was running and they were open.

Cheers

Gordo2270

Smitty55

I here you man, will bring our lawn chairs and the rye....lol

Gordo

Quote from: smitty55 on February 21, 2020, 12:29:26 AM
So I was trying to think of the best no fail spot for Pickeral in the hub area if size is no concern. Hmmm, then it came to me. :) Without a doubt the easiest, most relaxing laid back and productive spot is after dark fishing off the main Alwaki dock when the main lights are on. Wait till the skitters have died off. Pull up a lawnchair, maybe a small cooler, some worms or whatever along with some lighter jigs and some plastics, maybe some slip floats. Karl used to keep things there open fairly late for gas sales, specially on weekends. If the lights were on the big diesel genny was running and they were open.

Cheers

Gordo2270

Thanks T-Bonec

No problem, we are use too the hunt, some good and some bad, but its all about the experience. I think we should do okay as long as the weather co-operates. We are looking forward to do some exploring and getting the drone up for some videos and pictures.

Gordo

Quote from: T-Bone on February 20, 2020, 02:28:48 PM
Hey Gordo...I re-read my reply and it may have come off wrong, and I certainly don't want to discourage you. It's clear you've done your homework sifting through information posted out here, and as stated none of it is technically incorrect. Then again, it's not necessarily telling or instructional either. As for shorelines, I'd say any location on the 1,100+ miles or shoreline is as good as the next, but they're not. Which one is better? What 100-yard stretch of this 5,000 yard shoreline has a higher percentage of hooking up? The answer is in the maps, then the wind, then the current, then the sky, then the water temperature, then the time of day, and even then the moon. That'll get you started.

More than anything, it's continuous fine tuning. And the spot that's producing at 6AM this day will not likely be producing at 6AM on the next day. That's why I stated "this" location or "that" location is just a name to try as a starting point...not necessarily THE spot for fishing success. What I was saying in the other post....if a "go to spot" is the size of a football field, the area of it holding fish is about as big as your living room. And on any given day....changes in wind speed and direction, sun, clouds, lake current, baitfish, weather fronts, etc. will move that little area by 100-feet or 1,000 feet. It can be frustrating. Over my 20 trips to Kipawa I've learned that reading the wind and the lake, more than anything, will tell you where the fish should be at any given time. By reading those correctly, that tells you what side of the field, what yard marker, what hash mark, and which end zone to begin looking for that spot on the spot. 

I've been up to the central area of the lake in mid-June, and I recall a lot of boats coming in "from town" to fish the Sunnyside area as (per the people on those boats) the post-spawn walleyes hadn't made it down that far south on the lake yet. Well, hmm...I'm not sure about that. Could be true, I suppose. But there are plenty of good structure locations around there that should hold as many fish as the central area of the lake. Just need to know what to look for.

Rico

Quote from: Gordo2270 on February 21, 2020, 10:06:30 PM
Thanks T-Bonec

No problem, we are use too the hunt, some good and some bad, but its all about the experience. I think we should do okay as long as the weather co-operates. We are looking forward to do some exploring and getting the drone up for some videos and pictures.

Gordo
Drone Laws in Canada
https://uavcoach.com/drone-laws-in-canada/

Quote from: T-Bone on February 20, 2020, 02:28:48 PM