South Central Lake Erie Walleye

Started by Hodgey1, August 01, 2020, 11:45:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hodgey1

Here is the view from a friend of mine’s Lowrance this morning. 18 nice keepers in 2.5 hours trolling.

Walleye Rock!

Greg

That's a good morning!!  I went on the Ottawa river for 4 hours and got 1 pike.

smitty55

Quote from: Greg on August 01, 2020, 05:19:11 PM
That's a good morning!!  I went on the Ottawa river for 4 hours and got 1 pike.

Greg I see a lot of posts from guys who fish the Larry a lot and do quite well for Smallies and Walleye too in deep rocky areas with a substantial current, like 30' plus. Obviously they use specific techniques to fish these current runs, a lot of heavy jigs. Not a lot of that East of Ottawa though, even in the 20' range that I can recall offhand.
You may even want to try targeting channel cats on the Ottawa, they are the largest biomass in the whole system so there's tons of them, they're always hungry and they fight like heck. Oh yea, on a big river the like the O they can get well over 10lb too.
Cheers

Greg

I think yesterday was just slow on the river - the extreme heat definitely played a part.  In my usual weekend morning outings, we can get musky, bass, walleye, pike, crappie and even the odd gar-pike.   I need to some spend some time on the St. Lawrence for sure, my buddy matt fishes there every weekend or at least every 2nd weekend.

Tight lines - I am counting the days to Kipawa in September.

GregL

Quote from: Hodgey1 on August 01, 2020, 11:45:30 AM
Here is the view from a friend of mine’s Lowrance this morning. 18 nice keepers in 2.5 hours trolling.

Man! That's a nice view :)

Hodgey1

Saturdays weather forecast for the open waters of Lake Erie called for waves 1' or less. Perfect timing to hit the water with my 16.5' boat. My one son-in-law began expressing interst in fishing so he joined me for his first ever walleye fishing and first ever on a boat in Lake Erie. Up at 3:30 "ugh" at the launch at 4:45 "ugh-ugh" In the water and heading to deep water by 5:15. We had 4 lines in the water by 5:45 and our first fish was on by 6:00. The fishing started out hot and had 6 beautiful walleye before 8:00 and all above 18" with our largest at 27" and 6.5lbs.

I over booked my self Saturday to say the least..... early fishing out on the big lake, then 11:00 am in my local swamp to take grand kids out fishing and lastly host 4 friends for dinner at 6:00p. What was I thinking? So we only fished until 10:00 am. From 8 - 10 we only hooked up with two more fish of which one was a dandy lost removing a snap weight we were using to get our deep divers deeper. Yea, the bite just died after 8:00, we were fishing 70 FOW, I wondered if once the sun came up higher if the fish didn't head even deeper?

Loaded the boat back up and off to Edinboro lake. My wife brought my two grandsons down to the dock and off we went. We hammered the blue gill! Each cast with hook and worm on a bobber resulted in a hook up with the powerful blue gill testing the drag on old snoopy ;).  That action wore out old pop and thankfully the kids had their fill after an hour or two. Off the water  at 1:30 and time to get home and clean walleye. Its now 2:30, the boats unhooked and i'm starring at a cooler full of eyes that need cleaned. Did I mention I over booked my self Saturday?

After cleaning fish and cleaning up the fish cleaning mess I was shot.  I now had to get my entertainment face on... Ugh. I pushed through and had an enjoyable day, but please don't ever let me schedule 3 events in one day again.

Walleye Rock!

Ozzy30

Captain Steve

You are the "man" Grandpa!  Great example for us other Grandpa's!

Hodgey1

Thanks guys, I hope they continue to enjoy fishing with gramps.
Walleye Rock!