QUICK TRIP June 18-20

Started by RHYBAK, June 23, 2020, 08:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RHYBAK

As North America fell into a Pandemic and closed all doors, it became eminent that our lives and our lifestyle were going to change drastically.
As this pandemic grew from mid-March to end of April, then into May, it started to look bleak for our June Kipawa Trip.
As time grew closer and closer our group came to an agreement to cancel this tears trip especially with inter-provincial borders being closed.
I had a short Discussion with Reggie of 3Seasonscamp and we came to an agreement that June 2020 would be forwarded to June 2021.

It was really getting frustrating that all social interaction was restricted and all you heard was to stay home.
As ice was melting and fishing opportunities were opening up, rumors hit the internet that vehicles were being pulled over on the highways(pulling boats) and drivers and passengers were being fined 1000 dollars each for driving together and not being from the same household.
That terrified me , so I stayed home.
As Rainbow trout season drew closer( April 25)Our Provincial leader announced that fishing seasons would open as scheduled but to practice social distancing and be safe.
Perfect. I fish Private property with next to no interaction with people.
I told one of my friends that we were good to go but that we would have to drive in separate vehicles.
Again, no problem.
With being out of work at the time, I was able to have a great spring fishing season by hitting this property every third or fourth day.
The rainbow trout were on fire.
As the bite was slowing down, I got called back to work. Perfect timing.
Now with June approaching, my Walleye juices started flowing.
I knew my June trip was cancelled, but I had promised a friend of mine that if by chance the interprovincial borders would open, I would consider going up for a couple of days to see how my body could handle it.
As time progressed, borders opened. Then resorts were allowed to open for family members.
Then they opened for members from three households.
Then the motels and restaurants opened.
O.K. , it's time to keep my promise.
Donny and I made a plan to leave Toronto the morning of June 18. Fish a few days , and come home.
I picked Donny up at 3:45 A.M.
In Tamiscaming at 8:15 A.M.
picked up breakfast, bought our leeches, bought our licences and off to the landing.
In the water by 9:15A.M. and off on our cruise to the fishing grounds.
darn, I get to my location and three boats there.
No worries, I went a bit further to plan B.
Within five minutes we had a small Bass and a three pound pike.
Fished a bit and decided to head back to Plan A  but still two boats there.
No problem, go to Plan C.  No bites but all of a sudden all of the boats vacated Plan A.
Off we went, threw out our floats and no time to rest. Hit, after hit, after hit.
We were catching and/or missing walleye after walleye.
This slowed down around 1 P.M. so we headed back to Plan B.
When we got there, I could see schools of minnows just below the surface and while watching the minnows I could see walleye storming through the schools eating the minnows. What a site.We threw in our baits and had a great time catching missing fish.During this frenzy I caught two nice walleye above the slot size that had to be released.
When this spot dies down, we went back to plan A to finish the day.
We didn't want to stay long because of a few factors.
Hot, had to clean our fish, had to charge up my trolling motor, had to get to town to check into the hotel, had to eat,shower etc and get ready for the next morning.
All refreshed the next morning, we headed back up the highway to the landing at 6:30 A.M.
Fishing was a bit tougher with the lack of wind but during the course of the day, we kept 8 walleye , five Smallmouth Bass and released a whopping 27.5" walleye estimated at 8.5 pounds.
Went to visit Reggie and he graciously let us clean our fish in the cleaning shed, vacuum seal them for travel and rest a bit.
Thank you Reggie.

So, 4 P.M. off the landing to load the boat and call it a successful trip.
I do regret that by not staying in a camp, I could not evening fish but our day fishing was EXCELLENT.
We went home the next morning all refreshed with out 12 walleye and 5 nice Smallmouth.

Upton arrival home, My wife said she has been cooped up to long and to book a room at the motel. We are doing it again on July 2/3/4

FYI
BigChief

I did try Smith Bay where you and I fished next to each other two years ago and sorry to say that the fish are not in Smith Bay yet.

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

Oarin

Nice report, thanks!

Greg

Great report Rhybak!

I am sure by the time you got home and the next day, you must have been a bit tired, I know I would have been!  But well worth it.

Cheers,

Greg

GregL

Nice report! Thanks for sharing!

RHYBAK

Quote from: Greg on June 23, 2020, 09:05:11 AM
Great report Rhybak!

I am sure by the time you got home and the next day, you must have been a bit tired, I know I would have been!  But well worth it.

Cheers,

Greg

Greg
We actually relaxed by renting the room a second night giving us the time to shower, eat and have a good nights sleep.
Early refreshed start and then go home.
I felt fine when I got home.
It worked out well.

Jay Thomas

Thanks for your report John. Even though the temperatures were high, it's obvious that you enjoyed your short get away to Kipawa. Congrats on landing some walleye, especially that 27.5 incher.

I'm going to assume your floats were set at 6 feet - cause the pike bite at 7 feet ;)

Jay

RHYBAK

Quote from: Jay Thomas on June 23, 2020, 11:50:25 AM
Thanks for your report John. Even though the temperatures were high, it's obvious that you enjoyed your short get away to Kipawa. Congrats on landing some walleye, especially that 27.5 incher.

I'm going to assume your floats were set at 6 feet - cause the pike bite at 7 feet ;)

Jay

Jay.
You know it

T-Bone

Thanks for the report Mr. Rhybak...good stuff. Must be nice being only 5-hours away where you can jump and go. Good luck with that early-July excursion...I'm confident you'll do well...

waiTing-Bone....

Embrace every moment...you only get it once

BigChief

Quote from: RHYBAK on June 23, 2020, 08:37:09 AM

FYI
BigChief

I did try Smith Bay where you and I fished next to each other two years ago and sorry to say that the fish are not in Smith Bay yet.

@RHYBAK That is surprising at that time of year. We were supposed to be there 13-20June so probably would have seen you again. Thanks for the trip report but now I am contemplating August or September.

RHYBAK

BigChief

We are booked in for September 5-11/2020

BigChief

@RHYBAK how deep are they at that time? We are used to early/mid June so they are usually shallow.

tbayboy

Sounds like a nice escape Rhybak, thanks for sharing.  36 days and counting here...

SgtCrabby

Thanks for the report. 
Gives me a nice escape reading.

Hodgey1

@RHYBAK  I'm not sure how I missed this report, seeings that I've been starving for Kipawa fishing news.  Nice trip report! I am beyond envious for you Canadians and all of the different fishing opportunities that exists within a reasonable drive of your homes. Where I live, pick-ins are pretty slim/non-existent for remote waters to fish for walleye.

I gather from reading your posts over the years, that you prefer a windy day over a calm day, are they typically better days to fish? I know an overcast or rainy day is better, but uncertain on the wind, other than I do fish point where the wind is blowing into it with the idea that it may push bait/fish towards that point, is that what you are referring to ?
Walleye Rock!