Dream Boat LOL

Started by Hodgey1, August 01, 2020, 05:12:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hodgey1

It’s raining here all day, has me day dreaming of something a little bigger in my boating life. I feel somewhat like a rat floating around on a cork, in an ocean, when I take my Lund 1650 Sport out on Lake Erie. When I’m in Canada “my preferred place to fish” my boat is perfect for Kipawa and I love it. Plenty of room for 2-3 people to fish in comfort.

I like to fish Lake Erie in between time, mostly to fill freezer with tasty walleye , but I feel like the forecast has to be perfect for me to attempt it and perfect is a rarity on Lake Erie. I now have two grandsons that are showing great interest in fishing as well as their fathers.

My question and I know it’s loaded with variables, but what would be a good boat to serve both purposes and what if anything is wrong with fiberglass? I see most fishing boats seem to be aluminum.  I know you would need a 30’ to be comfortable in 3-5 footers probably, but I just want safety and comfort in 2-3’ while my grand kids were on board.

The little looking I’ve done has me thinking 19’-21’ long and higher sides.

What would the best of both worlds boat look like? Oh and still be a descent boat to tow 475 miles.
Walleye Rock!

Jay Thomas

Hi Chris,

My Dad ran a 24 foot Limestone Cuddy Cabin for a dozen years or so in the western basin of Lake Erie. I enjoyed fishing with him on the boat 20 times or more. Very stable boat and very dry. Easy to recommend the boat for great lakes fishing - maybe too big a boat to tow up to Kipawa.

Jay

Hodgey1

Thanks Jay, easy of trailering is one of the main issues I’m guessing. I should have noted, I have a newer Chevy 1500 pick up with a V8 that I tow with.
Walleye Rock!

T-Bone

I think a good target would be something exactly like Rhybak's yacht...uh...boat.  ;)
Embrace every moment...you only get it once

reelpro

Hodgey1

Quote from: reelpro on August 02, 2020, 08:00:19 PM
Lund 2075 tyee
👌

That is one sweet boat with a equally stunning price.  ??? I will need to find a rich dying uncle  ;)

That does seem to be the size and type of boat that I would need, I just need to find something used and or similar style in a different brand.
Walleye Rock!

Gary S

I'm thinking of selling my Key West 244CC with twin Yamaha 150s, great for Erie but might seem overkill for Kipawa.

Captain Hali

Hodgey, have you ever looked at " Kingfisher " boats. Made in British Columbia many used in inter-coastal waterways.https://www.marshsmarina.com/search/inventory/availability/In%20Stock/brand/Kingfisher%20Boats
I have seen many of the larger ( 24' / 32' ) in Ketchikan , Alaska.
The one shown Falcon 2025 would certainly handle Kip & Eerie. Price shown is Can. $. too.

limacharley

Quote from: reelpro on August 02, 2020, 08:00:19 PM
Lund 2075 tyee
👌

I've got the 1950 Tyee with an inboard 5.0 liter Mercruiser.
Just right for travelling 29 km to camp.
Everybody is a genius.
But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree,
it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
- Albert Einstein

limacharley

Quote from: Captain Hali on August 03, 2020, 10:35:27 PM
Hodgey, have you ever looked at " Kingfisher " boats. Made in British Columbia many used in inter-coastal waterways.https://www.marshsmarina.com/search/inventory/availability/In%20Stock/brand/Kingfisher%20Boats
I have seen many of the larger ( 24' / 32' ) in Ketchikan , Alaska.
The one shown Falcon 2025 would certainly handle Kip & Eerie. Price shown is Can. $. too.

My Father in Law had a 19 foot KingFisher bass boat with a jack plate for bass tournament fishing.
Ever gone 70 MPH on the water? Effing fast....!
Everybody is a genius.
But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree,
it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
- Albert Einstein

Ozzy30

I agree with T-Bone, Rybaks setup is exactly what I'm looking at as well.  It's the 1875 impact which is almost 19' Aluminum.  More than enough room inside with the high side and same rail system as your 1650 rebel.  The biggest issue I have with fibreglass is trailering with the boat, you ever get a bad road stones or rocks can make some marks and weight of the boat.  All though I am a Lund guy there are other boats out there that are comparable to the lunds but some that aren't even close to the finer details that the top boats have going for them.

Hodgey1

Thanks everyone for your input.

I earlier today had a nice chat via text with a forum member here about this topic which has given me some new prospective/angle to my boat situation. My real "number one" issue is needing higher sides and more length than I currently have with my Lund 1650 sport. Like I said earlier in this thread, at Kipawa, this is truly the perfect boat to fish out of comfortably with 2-3 people, even 4 with some occasional jockeying. It sips fuel and will do 32-34 mph on smooth water. The issue is wanting to be able to fish more comfortably/safely here on Lake Erie. I have two grandsons that I am introducing to fishing and hope to eventually get them "safely" out on the big lake for some walleye fishing. I am never going to decide to fish 3-4' waves, but want to be able to have 3-4' kick up and be able to make the 2-4 mile trip back to the dock safely.

My issue: I ain't made of money....... Dang it. So after my chat with the KFF member, I think a good decision has hit me. Sell all of my individual hobby devices and my current boat and put all of that money towards a bigger boat. I honestly would have to, to swing the prices I am seeing for even good used boats. I have snowmobiled for years and ready to hang up my helmet as well as my motorcycle helmet. I had my first crash last fall and I think its time. What really came to me is the individuality of both of those sports and how they are a bit on the selfish side. When I have the kids on the boat, we are all together enjoying the great outdoors and each others company and that makes me happy and I think more so than any of the other things I do. The days out with the boys, swilling sodas and racing across the snow like mad men needs to be over as well.... I am truly getting O L D, especially now as I am a few short years from retiring.

So the tentative plan: Sell all my Shirt this fall-winter- spring and hopefully find the right boat this fall and be ready for spring with a bigger boat I think 19' to 21' aluminum, higher sides and with 115hp would rock. I know the Lund is a premium boat, but I am willing to sacrifice some quality/reputation to be able to make this dream happen. We will see  ???
Walleye Rock!

puckster_guy

this is what I'd buy. What I have now. I got it in 1999 and it withstood heck on Georgian Bay and got me back every time. Always a comfortable dry ride.
https://www.crestliner.com/super-hawk/1750-super-hawk/
Days spent fishing don't count against life :)

Ozzy30

The only thing that I would recommend if going to a 19-21 foot boat don't under power the motor.  My boat was perfect 2 years ago and now put my 2 kids in back and my 90 struggles to get me up on plane.  I know the biggest cost when buying a boat is the motor but if you are looking at fishing Erie and weather sneaks up on you.  1 it's nice to make it back to shore quicker, 2. you want to be able to get front of boat out of water to get up on top of the waves.  Just my opinion.

Hodgey1

Good tip @Ozzy30

When I begin looking at higher sided boats, is there a general term that automatically dictates that feature or does it differ from MFG to MFG ?
Walleye Rock!