Dream Boat LOL

Started by Hodgey1, August 01, 2020, 05:12:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

limacharley

Have you considered a really large pontoon boat?
Say...a 25 footer with twin screws. Equipped with downriggers, plenty of room to jig for 4-5 people.
Unsinkable....can take the waves. Lots of storage. Has a bathroom for the misses...
Better priced??
Everybody is a genius.
But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree,
it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
- Albert Einstein

Hodgey1

LC, I had someone else suggest the same thing. Two things come to mind when I thought about it. One is towing such a monstrosity 480 miles one way to Canada and also, when think lake Erie, is that a safe boat for rougher weather conditions? I have been out on lake Erie on and off for the last 40 years and never seen one out in the Lake fishing and or trolling. Are they a viable option, knowing my needs? Would I maybe become a trend setter on the big lake  8)

Interesting to think about though  ???
Walleye Rock!

Gary S

It sounds like you need at least 2 boats maybe 3. Do you play the lottery?

Hodgey1

Quote from: Gary S on September 02, 2020, 09:35:08 AM
  It sounds like you need at least 2 boats maybe 3. Do you play the lottery?

Very true  ;D

I am extremely pleased with my current boat while at Kipawa and am getting by on my home waters when conditions allow, so I just need to be patient for a a cream puff 19'-21' used boat to come available. I read in the paper this morning that boat sales where up 30% over the same period last year. Not good for a guy looking for a boat.
Walleye Rock!

limacharley

Do you plan on being on Erie or Kipawa when it's rough?
Everybody is a genius.
But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree,
it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
- Albert Einstein

Hodgey1

Quote from: limacharley on September 02, 2020, 10:24:40 AM
Do you plan on being on Erie or Kipawa when it's rough?

No, but like last September at Kipawa we motored in to Alwaki in a 2' windy chop and were soaked upon arrival, would have loved a full windshield. As stated before, I want to get my grand kids and son-in law's on the lake fishing. The 16.5 Rebel ain't cutting it for that, particularly if the seas where to pick up while a few miles from shore in Lake Erie. I want higher sides, transom, wider beam and full windshield. I am deffenetly going to be patient and wait for the right boat at the right price. The 1950 Crestliner I saw the first time I started looking, met that, so they are out there.
Walleye Rock!

plowjock

Hodgey, I'm new to this board, but have been in your shoes re: thoughts on new boat, safety, etc. plus costs.
You have a pretty decent boat in your Lund. How many trips out on Erie for Eyes are you looking at each year.
Play it safe, go out with a guide. Surely you have a few guides close by on Erie with the proper boats. Pay the guides for a couple days of fishing with your Grandchildren each year. Cheaper than huge investment in safer boat. For safer times on Erie go out in your Lund but I know Fall fishing on Erie can change very quickly. Over the years you'll be money ahead in gas saved, trip time hauling larger boat. You're like me a little older, enjoy life without major debt. Hoping to make my first trip to Kipawa this summer. I'll be in my Lund Fury1625XL. The guys I'm heading there with are a couple of seasoned Kipawanians.

smitty55

Welcome to the forum Plowjock. Prepare to find yourself totally hooked by the magic of Kipawa on your first trip.
Are you the same plowjock as on the Fish Hawk forum? I've posted there numerous times about Kipawa.
Btw, are the guys you're going with members here?

Cheers

plowjock

I think 3 of the group are members here. The one lad has been going up to Kipawa since 2005. He was never a great fisherman, but did catch a few. He enjoys the peace and quiet of the lake, loons etc.
Yes, I am that dude from the Fish hawk forum. I think I know of you also. Did you used to go to the Guoin Reservoir with Bill McQ.

Hodgey1

Hey Plowjock, I kind of settled in on the points that you have made, particularly the money and as you mentioned, I can see the finish line with work.

I spent the entire summer & fall searching for the right boat at the right price and it did not happen. When I look at what I like doing most “fishing at Kipawa” i already have the perfect boat for there in the 1650 rebel. As for paying for a charter with the kids, I even have a Freind who would take us for free. The only problem I see with that and charters is the having to commit to go and having to go even if seas aren't my cup of tea.

I really think my boat search is about over and settled into the thought of keeping the boat I love. Especially since looking at the prices. I think I would need to be willing to lay down $45-$60k USD to get into a reliable/newer boat. I now have scheduled to take the kids and their dads to Kipawa this year, i cant wait! “Border opening dependent of course”

This will be your first trip to Kipawa? Where are you staying? As Smitty said, be prepared to fall in love with Kipawa, it is a drug I cant do without since finding it. It has a way of getting into your blood and calling you back for some more.
Walleye Rock!

plowjock

Hodgey1, our small group will be staying up north end at Smith Outfitters. My buddy has been going to Kipawa for last 16 years and one of his original group passed away and they spread his ashes up in area. I used to fish Bass Tournaments, but got too soon old too late smart. I now enjoy going after crappies and pan fish, lakers and those toothy critters, pike and eyes. I have fished Lake Temagami, Lake Temiskaming. I still enjoy the fall Smallmouth fishing. I have a 2015 Lund Fury XL pretty well equipped. Prior to that I had a 2007 BassCat Puma with a 250 HO and before that I ran a Crestliner Fishhawk 1650SC. I know what these back lakes can do to you.  We should be there sometime early July from what I understand. By the time we get there I will pass the 3/4 of a Century mark.

LanielKid

Quote from: Hodgey1 on January 30, 2021, 10:41:41 AM
Hey Plowjock, I kind of settled in on the points that you have made, particularly the money and as you mentioned, I can see the finish line with work.

I spent the entire summer & fall searching for the right boat at the right price and it did not happen. When I look at what I like doing most “fishing at Kipawa” i already have the perfect boat for there in the 1650 rebel. As for paying for a charter with the kids, I even have a Freind who would take us for free. The only problem I see with that and charters is the having to commit to go and having to go even if seas aren't my cup of tea.

I really think my boat search is about over and settled into the thought of keeping the boat I love. Especially since looking at the prices. I think I would need to be willing to lay down $45-$60k USD to get into a reliable/newer boat. I now have scheduled to take the kids and their dads to Kipawa this year, i cant wait! “Border opening dependent of course”

This will be your first trip to Kipawa? Where are you staying? As Smitty said, be prepared to fall in love with Kipawa, it is a drug I cant do without since finding it. It has a way of getting into your blood and calling you back for some more.

Just commenting on your Lund situation. I fished all of last summer on Kipawa with a friend on his Lund Pro-V 1975. Incredible boat, but they are very expensive brand new.

Good thing is, the hull on it hasn't changed since the late 90s. A older Pro-V (anywhere from 1998 to now) would work well for the stuff you want to do. We've taking his grandkids on it, gone tubing behind it and done a lot of fishing on it. Great for big water too, caught plenty of salmon on Georgian Bay (part of Lake Huron) with it.

Tows nice too.

If you could find one at a good price, it would probably be perfect for you.

Happy fishing!

Hodgey1

Quote from: LanielKid on April 20, 2021, 12:59:21 PMLund Pro-V 1975. Incredible boat

I can't agree more, that would be a perfect boat for me if the right one came around.
Walleye Rock!

Hodgey1

I'm Still looking...... boats have been few and far between/non existent.

I just came across this old, yet gently used "Supposedly"

https://buffalo.craigslist.org/boa/d/lockport-2005-lund-pro-1900-ips-hull/7382987067.html

The owner says only used in inland waters. If thats true, it hasn't been pounded in Lake Erie the last 15 years. 15 years is old, but this looks like a cream puff. As long as the hours are right and the hull isnt beat to piss, buy it and upgrade the electronic, add a trolling motor and I have a sweet ride..... Maybe?
Walleye Rock!

Greg

Wow, that boat does look in great shape.  Wonder why it is selling.

However, I am still amazed a 16 year old boat can still fetch that kind of money.

Yes... add a kicker $5k, then a trolling motor (good one now a days is probably $3k) and then some decent front/back fish finders for another $2500 each - plus install, you are up to an additional $13 to 14k pretty quickly.

You only live once!