Almost got my SI & DI dialed in!

Started by GregL, August 24, 2020, 09:50:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GregL

I really didn't think I would utilize my side imaging much, but after watching all these videos on SI during the shut down. I decided to try to use this tech effectively. I was getting ok readings last year on kip but nothing like those great youtube videos. I did some adjusting of my transducers and I think I almost got it! I still need to tweak my high speed ducer but I think the SI ones are pretty good now! I still don't get great readings much past 25' depths I think you need the G3N version of the Helix to get those very clear images.

These screen shots are from a lake we visited this summer. Was our first time on the lake. I am sold on this tech, it really helped us to eliminate areas. We were into fish in less than first 2 hours!

Here some cool screens shots!

Pod of walleye! We actually pulled 4 off this pod the largest was a 22" and a 19" on rippn raps. Love this lure now! It's fun to fish.

Some Smallies, I know this because we got 2 of them :)

I think this one maybe is a Pike, we caught a few small ones.

This is a cool DI image. Not sure what they are we couldn't get them to go. I suspect they are eyes... we saw a few these pods in that depth range on this flat but couldn't get them to bite. We trolled the flat with cranks, worm harnesses, tried jigging them but no luck.

This was from a different lake but thought I would share the go to image for side imaging.. a sunken boat HAHAHA!

puckster_guy

Looks good. I have SI on my Garmin unit, but could never make heads nor tails out of the image. So I never use it. I think I need to play around with it more.
Days spent fishing don't count against life :)

Jay Thomas

Quote from: GregL on August 24, 2020, 09:50:54 AM

This is a cool DI image. Not sure what they are we couldn't get them to go. I suspect they are eyes... we saw a few these pods in that depth range on this flat but couldn't get them to bite. We trolled the flat with cranks, worm harnesses, tried jigging them but no luck.

Hi Greg,

Four of us fished 13-20 Aug in the Abitibi/Témiscaming area. During the day, we couldn't buy a bite even though we knew we were on the fish. Early morning (6 to 8 AM) and evening (8 to 9:30 PM), there was lots of action.

Jay

GregL

The hardest part of this tech is trusting it!! I find I am more confident scanning structure with regular 2d sonar and not stopping until I marking fish but you miss so much with 2d! I am still trying to get used to not just fishing spots but scanning first and looking for game. This is especially hard when you have less experienced fisher "people" in the boat that just want to fish. Explaining to them, we need to find them first seems to be a hard concept from some to grasp LOL!

Picking fish out on SI can be tricky especially when they are tight to the bottom and not leaving shadows they can just be white spots.

Quote from: puckster_guy on August 24, 2020, 10:20:32 AM
Looks good. I have SI on my Garmin unit, but could never make heads nor tails out of the image. So I never use it. I think I need to play around with it more.

GregL

Quote from: Jay Thomas on August 24, 2020, 10:39:08 AM
Quote from: GregL on August 24, 2020, 09:50:54 AM

Hi Greg,

Four of us fished 13-20 Aug in the Abitibi/Témiscaming area. During the day, we couldn't buy a bite even though we knew we were on the fish. Early morning (6 to 8 AM) and evening (8 to 9:30 PM), there was lots of action.

Jay

This was a small lake not even 2 miles wide and under 5 miles long. I was quite impressed with the walleye count for small lake dotted with cottages! I definitely think we needed to slip bobber those fish on the flats.. Jigs and lindy rigs were under them and they were not active enough to hit cranks or ripp'n raps.

NovarDave

Where do I look to view these images?
Thank you

GregL

Quote from: NovarDave on August 24, 2020, 11:20:11 AM
Where do I look to view these images?
Thank you

You can not see the pics in the post?

NovarDave

No GregL, must be the firewall where I work.  I can see them on my phone.  They look great, thank you for sharing.

RHYBAK

If your viewing as a guest, you will not see the pictures.
You must be logged in.

I'm thinking
That's how some other sites work
'
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

RHYBAK

I have to use mine more often.
Those are great images.

Is that a GARMIN or a Hummingbird?

Do you have the option to change colors?

Greg

great pics - you have got that dialed in!

GregL

Quote from: RHYBAK on November 20, 2020, 09:34:09 AM
I have to use mine more often.
Those are great images.

Is that a GARMIN or a Hummingbird?

Do you have the option to change colors?

My 2 units are  10" Hummingbird Helix g2n's. They are pretty awesome! We call it fish tv LOL!

Yup, I think there is like 6 different color options

RHYBAK

Great Thanks
Now I have to wait four months to check it out >:( >:( >:(

plowjock

A lot depends on water clarity, also your Sensitivity and contrast settings. Also depth can be part of equation. This passed weekend on FB. there was some good information from Dr. Sonar, Bruce Sampson. Some very clear cut info passed on. Have been following another lad, Tom Boley on FB. Young guy and is he getting the job done in dissemination of information on different set-ups, and using your sonars to the fullest of their capabilities. Does some great explaining on SI and DI along with 2D. Good Luck and Tightlines this season.

plowjock

My mistake last evening, Tom Boley is on YouTube. Some great videos. Sorry for leading anybody down the wrong path.