September 5 -12

Started by GregL, September 14, 2020, 09:32:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GregL

Another trip under our belt! Over all we had a great week at Alwaki! Most days were cloudy, windy and cool which was nice to be in the boat. The wind seemed to be changing direction at least twice every day it was crazy, we would come in for a quick break and we'd go out in the afternoon and it was blowing in the opposite direction! My crew were real troopers, we fish full days most days except for a short afternoon break back at camp.

We really did a lot of running around to find the fish, we never really found them stacked anywhere like previous years.  Our first night and our last day were the best 2 days of the trip. On our first night we caught 2 Lakers and a couple 17-18" walleye for the box and a ton of the typical 15" fish. Mid week we moved around a lot trying to find them and would scratch out 16" to 18" fish but only a few on each spot and the average size was in the 15" inch range. It was kind of strange this year, you'd hit a spot with a small school catch a couple and they would shut down but if you found them they would hit in quick succession.

Tina was the Laker pro this week! I think she caught 4 or 5 with the largest being 24" I think this is her 24"r LOL!

We finally found an area that the fish were piled in and did a pretty good job in catching some larger eaters and some really nice ones. The pics don't do them justice, these guys were quite fat and healthy!
Tina's 24"

Tina's 25"

I got 2 27" eyes but am angry because Tina's looks bigger in the pics HAHA!

Hunters was quite angry one afternoon but the girls were having fun sitting on the bow having the waves crashing into them and screaming when they got wet. The pic doesn't do the waves justice, my 72" tm was coming out of the water! I really wanted to fish this weather as I always seem to hammer them when it's like this but we had a 14 and 10 year old dog onboard this year so I didn't want to beat them up. We enjoyed the waves for 15 mins or so then bailed to give the old dogs a break.

I am still very impressed with our ship! Check out the room! 5 adults and 5 dogs one evening!

Thank you Brian and Tina for the great week!!!

Ozzy30

Great report Greg, some really nice fish.  My fall walleye fishing will start in probably 2 weeks.

GregL

Thanks OZ! I love fall fishing as well but my time is always split between ducks and fish this time year. It's a real struggle! LOL!

I forgot to mention we picked up what I feel is a lot of smallies, at least 10 of them with 3 of them pushing 3 lbs! This was my first time catching smallies on this lake.

Ozzy30

Smallies would be on the bite now that the water temperature is dropping.  They usually get real aggressive.  Lots of fun though.  I'm hauling the 2 atv's and family up to moose camp this weekend.  Hunt some birds, get work done before next months hunt.  Fall is busier than the spring.

Jay Thomas

Enjoyed your report and pictures. Thanks for sharing. While you caught some nice sized walleye, it seems like the majority of walleye you landed were 15 inches or so. I guess the harvest length limit needs more time to help ensure bigger walleye will be landed.

Jay

Oarin

Thanks, Greg. Nice fish, glad some of us are getting to go. Still hoping for next year, if not another Lake Erie trip. We're having walleye tonight. Keep the reports coming!

T-Bone

Great report Greg...and thanks for including pictures; I can actually pic out some of the different parts of the lake you are exploring, and that will have to be good enough for this year. Those are some dandy fish...way to go. Did you get them trolling or jigging? How deep?

And yes...every time I think about traveling on or through Hunters Lake I get a little nervous...big water with big swells. Tough to navigate in a camp boat.

Thanks again...
Embrace every moment...you only get it once

GregL

We really didn't do any exploring. I had plans to go a few new places but never got to them. I was pretty lazy this time and really just spent the time around known areas we are familiar. We got most of the bigger fish trolling, except the Lakers they came jigging! Go figure!

Quote from: T-Bone on September 15, 2020, 09:30:45 AM
Great report Greg...and thanks for including pictures; I can actually pic out some of the different parts of the lake you are exploring, and that will have to be good enough for this year. Those are some dandy fish...way to go. Did you get them trolling or jigging? How deep?

And yes...every time I think about traveling on or through Hunters Lake I get a little nervous...big water with big swells. Tough to navigate in a camp boat.

Thanks again...

limacharley

Hi Greg,

I was at camp on the 4-5 and 6. Did you see a humongous dock with the Cdn flag flying? That's my lil piece of heaven. I was there staining some planks...didn't fish.
Yup those days were very windy. Hunter can whip up pretty good.
There's tons of little humps all around our shoreline. Always see boats fishing.

To anyone else-I'll be in there this weekend staining boards again. Drop by for a beer and a paintbrush Lol.
Bring your trunks to have a sauna and dip.

Lucas
Everybody is a genius.
But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree,
it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
- Albert Einstein

Hodgey1

Greg, great trip report and as others noted, really nice pictures. This would have made our third September together at Alwaki with you guys, we missed it greatly.

Looks like you got into some real nice walleye and some nice Lakers. Hope you all had fun and hopefully we can see you next September.
Walleye Rock!

GregL

limacharley MAN, I was saying we should really pop by for sure this time, have a pop and say hello! The time fly by so quickly before I knew it we were fishing our last afternoon UGH!

I will look for that big dock and flag next spring! Tina and I are planning on staying until Wednesday or Thursday after the May 24 weekend.. So if it's anything like last year we'll be
running past your place every day hehe!

Quote from: limacharley on September 15, 2020, 02:30:47 PM
Hi Greg,

I was at camp on the 4-5 and 6. Did you see a humongous dock with the Cdn flag flying? That's my lil piece of heaven. I was there staining some planks...didn't fish.
There's tons of little humps all around our shoreline. Always see boats fishing.

To anyone else-I'll be in there this weekend staining boards again. Drop by for a beer and a paintbrush Lol.

Lucas

GregL

Hodgey1, Everybody says HI!! and sorry you couldn't come.. Really missed the banter and laughs from last year! Next Year bud!!

Can we do the full month next year HAHA! I know I could have used it this year to nail down those eyes! HAHA!

Quote from: Hodgey1 on September 15, 2020, 08:01:14 PM
Greg, great trip report and as others noted, really nice pictures. This would have made our third September together at Alwaki with you guys, we missed it greatly.

Looks like you got into some real nice walleye and some nice Lakers. Hope you all had fun and hopefully we can see you next September.

limacharley

Quote from: GregL on September 16, 2020, 08:17:38 AM
limacharley MAN, I was saying we should really pop by for sure this time, have a pop and say hello! The time fly by so quickly before I knew it we were fishing our last afternoon UGH!

I will look for that big dock and flag next spring! Tina and I are planning on staying until Wednesday or Thursday after the May 24 weekend.. So if it's anything like last year we'll be

Hi Greg,

Lucas

There's miles of logging roads behind my camp to let the dogs run.
You're more than welcome. I have no neighbors so no complaints.
We'll meet up on your next trip.
I've only skipped 3 weekends this whole summer....pretty much always at camp.
Everybody is a genius.
But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree,
it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
- Albert Einstein

GregL

That's AWESOME!! Ok for sure on the May 24!!

mmm..logging roads == grouse LOL!

Quote from: limacharley on September 16, 2020, 09:03:49 AM

Hi Greg,

Lucas

RHYBAK

Quote from: GregL on September 16, 2020, 11:15:16 AM
That's AWESOME!! Ok for sure on the May 24!!

mmm..logging roads == grouse LOL!

Quote from: limacharley on September 16, 2020, 09:03:49 AM

Hi Greg,

Lucas

And Moose
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle