Deep Cycle Batteries?

Started by GregL, September 14, 2020, 12:16:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GregL

So I am totally frustrated. I got 4 - 31-series Interstate brand batteries when we got our boat in 2019. I just had to replace one of them 0 warranty!! That's my fault for not checking .. just assumed it would be over a year like other high end deep cycles.

I am pretty sure my 3 tm batteries are on the way out as well!!! $800 cdn in batteries and they lasted less than 20 trips over a year in a bit!

When I first got them it was easy to go 2-3 days depending on weather, over this past week they were less than 1/2 charged by mid day! I had to charge these things every night..

So I'm looking for suggestions on a good quality battery I can get some life out of .. open to all suggestions!

Ozzy30

I usually just rum the nautilus batteries.  They definitely carry more than 1 year warranty but my batteries only last a couple years usually.  I only have a 12v electric system that is hard on the battery for sure.  I would think the ipilot would work the 24v batteries pretty hard.  You may have to try an agm deep cycle battery, expensive but have heard good things about them

GregL

I may go the agm route, I looked a lithium they are stupid crazy expensive!

puckster_guy

Similar issue here with my solar system. I have 6-6v gel pack batteries and they aren't holding the charge like they used to. They're 3 yrs old. No need to replace anything yet but in a couple of years, probably gonna have to. I've looked at Lithium batteries like the Tesla Powerwall but they are ridiculously expensive. I understand there's new tech coming out like super capacitors and other stuff. I'm in wait and see mode right now. 
Days spent fishing don't count against life :)

RHYBAK

I don't know what brand of batteries I have in my boat but this is the third season for me.
Still going strong.
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

GregL

That's what I was expecting, I used to get 4-5 years out of TM batteries and they were just costco deep cycles... oy!
Quote from: RHYBAK on September 15, 2020, 08:30:39 AM
I don't know what brand of batteries I have in my boat but this is the third season for me.
Still going strong.

limacharley

I have Interstates in my 24v TM and they are 4 years old. You guys have to make sure you're charging them properly.
I pull mine out every fall, place on rubber mats, top up levels etc....and trickle charge all winter long.

Watch...they'll crap out next summer Lol
Everybody is a genius.
But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree,
it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
- Albert Einstein

wayne

Hey Greg
My solar power system is agm batteries. I have 20 265 amp 12 volt. They were installed in 2012 and came  with a 10 year warranty.  I am really impressed as they run the entire camp. So far have performed flawlessly. I do keep them charged to at least 60% either by sun or generator. Hope this helps.

GregL

I think I am.. I have a Guest 2740A Guest On-Board Battery Charger 10 amps per bank managed individually.
They are in a heated garage, plugged in once a month when not used.

Maybe I just got a bad batch.

Quote from: limacharley on September 15, 2020, 02:35:26 PM
I have Interstates in my 24v TM and they are 4 years old. You guys have to make sure you're charging them properly.
I pull mine out every fall, place on rubber mats, top up levels etc....and trickle charge all winter long.

Watch...they'll crap out next summer Lol

GregL

I think I am going agm this time for sure!

Quote from: wayne on September 15, 2020, 05:43:25 PM
Hey Greg
My solar power system is agm batteries. I have 20 265 amp 12 volt. They were installed in 2012 and came  with a 10 year warranty.  I am really impressed as they run the entire camp. So far have performed flawlessly. I do keep them charged to at least 60% either by sun or generator. Hope this helps.

limacharley

Quote from: wayne on September 15, 2020, 05:43:25 PM
Hey Greg

Wow those are some good batteries Wayne. 10 year warranty....!
Where did you get them?
Everybody is a genius.
- Albert Einstein

wayne

They are Decca batteries, specifically designed for solar. I purchased them from the solar company in Toronto, power of the sun. They are no longer in business. Thanks for returning the gas.

GregL

I tested my 3 interstate 31 series at both Canadian Tire and Interstate in Woodbridge where I bought them both places say they are good.

Is is possible for a battery to test good but be "weak"?

On the May 24 weekend last year and our week trip in September. I could go almost 3 days before having to charge. We actually did the May 24 weekend without charging at all. This year they were showing 1/2 dead on my remote in about 4 hours of just spot locking and general light duty use.

limacharley

Quote from: wayne on September 21, 2020, 07:10:52 AM
They are Decca batteries, specifically designed for solar. I purchased them from the solar company in Toronto, power of the sun. They are no longer in business. Thanks for returning the gas.

Thanks for the gas Wayne and the battery tips. Had a nice conversation with Barb while you were out. Face timing the grandkids is just not the same...is it?
Better to hug them. Good luck the rest of the season.
If you see my boat at camp, drop by for a beer. Love to show you and Barb what I've done to the place.
Everybody is a genius.
- Albert Einstein

Ozzy30

Very possible to have them test good, I find more on deep cycle than automotive batteries this will happen.  To fail the test you almost have to have an internal issue to the battery for the testers to catch it.  I know our testers at work for automotive they also test the state of health which is lots of time really low but still pass.  I don't know if our work testers would work on deep cycle.  But I do know i'll be charging up my batteries tonight because it is looking like a beautiful week to fish here.