Deep Cycle Batteries?

Started by GregL, September 14, 2020, 12:16:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GregL

I just spoke with Rocky's Tackle in Orillia. He's been super helpful with our Ulterra (issues have been user error!) until now.

He told me that he has had a lot of people come in with issues this year with bad brand new interstates!! I don't believe either place actually "Load" testing my deep cycles. I think they did the standard auto battery test.

I described my issues to Rocky's and he is pretty darn sure it's the same deal, weak/bad batteries. I can get a good deal on some MagnaCharge 31 series Deep Cycles, I'm going to go this route for now. Maybe by the time they die, lithium batteries will come down in price hehe! I sure would love to get a pair of 36volts for the same weight as 1 - 31 lead acid!

Quote from: Ozzy30 on September 21, 2020, 11:18:32 AM
Very possible to have them test good, I find more on deep cycle than automotive batteries this will happen.  To fail the test you almost have to have an internal issue to the battery for the testers to catch it.  I know our testers at work for automotive they also test the state of health which is lots of time really low but still pass.  I don't know if our work testers would work on deep cycle.  But I do know i'll be charging up my batteries tonight because it is looking like a beautiful week to fish here.

Chumy77

Hi Greg ,if it's the same batteries that Caps sell they are cheap and don't last.I bought one at Caps in Ottawa i had to return it after
11 months it was fry.....wally

GregL

I have these ones.

SRM-31 https://www.interstatebatteries.com/products/srm-31?productLine=marine&subcategoryKey=&ignorecategoryid=true

I have also tried those big Optima blue tops. I read a lot of good about them but they didn't last either and were returned for a full refund THANK GOODNESS!

I got a good deal on 3 Magnacharge 31-205s I will use these until they are dead, hopefully they last!

Quote from: Chumy77 on September 21, 2020, 05:30:39 PM
Hi Greg ,if it's the same batteries that Caps sell they are cheap and don't last.I bought one at Caps in Ottawa i had to return it after
11 months it was fry.....wally

GregL

Got my new batteries installed last night. Even before charging they had great voltage.

Checked the following
1) Soldered crimps still solid no wiggling.
2) Connections all tight.
3) Fuses on charger leads all good

After charging I am reading 39.2, hopefully these guys last!

Fort Wisers

When we had the boat we just ran the Nautilus batteries from CT.
In the off season they came out of the boat and were put on the charger ever couple of weeks.
We also changed all the lighting on the boat to LED so if we were out anchored for a while the drain on the batteries was minimal....
Even still, these batteries only lasted maybe 2-3 years before they started getting weak.

The batteries at camp for the solar system (to run the camp) are Rolls Surrette, 10 year warranty (similar to the Dekas Wayne is running).
This was our third year running them and they are still run like day one, I will admit we beat them pretty hard.
My brother runs a bunch of the same for his camp, I'm sure the oldest ones are 6-7 years old and still in service.
But true deep cycle batteries much heavier built and are designed to handle a fair bit more in terms of discharge depths and discharge cycle capacity when compared to the cheaper deep cycle batteries sold at the box stores.

They do take some maintenance though, I add distilled water to them maybe every 6 months, check the Specific Gravity now and then and EQ charge them every few months.

@GregL  I hope you have good luck with your new batteries!