Not Kipawa Trip Report : Sept 12-19 Great Sacandaga Lake, New York

Started by Hodgey1, September 23, 2020, 01:42:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hodgey1

Trip Report: Sept 12-19 Great Sacandaga Lake, New York

So, the pandemic continues to affect our shared border and we were scheduled for a week at Alwaki. Needless to say, that ain't happening. I hope the Outfitters can weather this covid storm. My wife and I have been going to Alwaki for three years now in September, this would have been our 4th year :(. We were beyond sad, not being able to go again. We love it there in September, as well as the friends we have made “Hey @Greg L & crew”

I was very unsuccessful trying to come up with a July Kipawa replacement trip and felt equally frustrated for the possibilities of finding something for a September replacement trip.  While discussing our lack of options one day with my wife, she says “what about your uncle’s cabin” I scratch my head and say “what about my uncle’s cabin!”. My Uncle has owned a cabin on the Great Sacandaga lake in the Adirondacks for 20+ years and I’ve never been. It is 30 miles long and 5 miles at its widest point. I immediately got on the phone with him and a few minutes later, we had our dates confirmed. Bam! Replacement vacation secured. Since years of hearing lukewarm fishing reports about this lake, my hopes weren’t that high for fishing, but I knew a week at a lake front cottage would be a battery recharge that my wife and I desperately were needing.

We left our home outside of Erie PA at 7:00 am Saturday and had an easy 6-hour trip across I90 to Edinburg NY. My uncle wanted to get us situated, since this was our first visit, so we were greeted by him and his nephew/my cousin. Needless to say, no fishing that day, due to much visiting, drinking, eating and a fire, oh and more drinking. It was very nice catching up with them both and shooting the S by a camp fire and having some beers. The next morning after breakfast, we were on a mission to get bait, licensees and launch the boat for some fishing. On our way to do that, we are passed by car waving with another cousin. She decide to drop in for a surprise visit. Needless to say …..more visiting, drinking and eating. LOL. A another great night of hanging with family that I love. Everyone cleared out Monday morning after our impromptu family reunion, it was nice to see everyone and catch up since we live so far away from them all.

Video of the lake from the water: https://youtu.be/aJCOJ0tklAk

My wife and I finally were on the water Monday morning to beautiful weather and smooth waters. Unfortunately, we could not buy a walleye all week, even though being told there are some in the lake. The good news was we did catch plenty of fish each outing, with many nice Smallmouths and my fish whispering wife catching 21 rock bass on one outing. It has been many years since I have caught a smallie, that I had forgotten what fun they are to catch. I caught a few 18+ inchers that fought like mad, jumping out of the water and testing my drag, making long runs. Lots of fun, but no eaters, I’ve never thought of a bass as a good eating fish, so we returned all of them back to the water. My best outing, I landed 7 Smallmouth and 4 rock bass.

There is no comparing this lake to Kipawa as far as fishing goes, none. As far a peaceful, scenic beauty and tranquility goes, it was not a bad substitution at all. If Kipawa is a 10, I’d give this an 8. We were both pleasantly surprised by how peaceful and beautiful it was here. There were even times when I felt that certain Canadian Lake feeling I get while at Kipawa and really enjoyed our time on the waters of Sacandaga. It is surrounded by mountains, dense forest and very beautiful. The side note is this: I believe had we been here during the peak season, I think we would have had a totally different experience. This lake is completely surrounded by trees, that hide well the fact that nearly every inch of the shore line is dotted with either a cottage, or a private boat dock with a cottage back in further. I am nearly 100% certain it is a complete zoo of boat traffic and jet skis in the summer here and would make for a very poor place to try and peacefully fish at that time. We hit it at just the right time, a week after the US, Labor Day holiday. We saw minimal boat traffic all week, with most people hauling boats out for the season as well as their docks.

The weather was cool, but nice nearly everyday but one, that was light mist and overcast. Most all of our meals were simple and cooked outside on the grill, unfortunately no fish.  Get this “LOL” we even went out to a local restaurant one night and had a great meal, can’t do that at Alwaki now can you. LOL!

All in all, this was a great trip. Was it Kipawa great, nope! Not much is, within a reasonable driving distance of my house, but this made for a darn good backup. We will be counting the days until my July 2021 trip to Kipawa, with fingers crossed that it will happen.
Walleye Rock!

Ozzy30

Captain Hali

Hodgey1, as the saying goes, a small piece of cake is better then no cake at all. Beautiful pictures. Walley were probably still in hiding from all the summer boat traffic and noise. As for next years Kipawa trip, if all the meatheads out there would just wear masks whenever they go where there are other people and observe social distancing, the border should be open, and you can make those trips to our little piece of Heaven known as Kipawa.

Captain Steve

Thanks Hodgey! This report and your picks were an inspiration to me today! Glad you two had a great time! I am also impressed at the response you got on " where are you from"
Great Job my friend! Hope to share some beers and stories with you in the near future!
Steve

Greg

That's awesome Hodgey!  Glad you got away and it looks like a great place - beautiful water front cabin...life can't get much better.

Congrats on a successful trip.

Greg

Jay Thomas

Thanks for your report. Glad you were able to get away, wet some lines and recharge your batteries. Great pictures too!

Jay

Oarin

SgtCrabby

Thanks for the report @Hodgey1 .

What a great way to "make lemonade from lemons" with an alternate trip.