US Alternatives

Started by NortonJoe, January 23, 2021, 07:43:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NortonJoe

So I'm trying to hedge my bets.  Anyone have any US alternatives that would mirror Kipawa?
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
~Henry David Thoreau

puckster_guy

Jow about Lake of the woods? It straddles the Us Canada border. Or for rhat matter there must be a ton of nice lakes there.
Days spent fishing don't count against life :)

Teach

We are scheduled for 2 weeks the very end of April and the first of May at Pymatuning State Park.  It does not include 75 miles of logging road, being off the grid, being the only ones in camp and on the lake, great fishing, and scenic and auditory bliss.  The fishing should be fair to good.  We can see eagles, shovel goose poop, eat fish and make memories.  Wisconsin last fall was nice.  Not off the grid, but secluded.  I would agree with puckster_guy.  Northern Minnesota is your best bet.

T-Bone

Best bet is BWCA area of northern Minnesota. Lots of choices....many have availability still. Not sure it will compare to Kipawa, but it's about as close as you can get AND still have a good chance at some decent fishing. From where you're located NJ, it's a solid 14-hour drive.

We still haven't pulled the trigger on booking a hedge reservation...guess we're being hopeful this COVID mess will clear-up by summer....at least to the point where we can travel north of the border.

Like anything nowadays...time will tell....

Hope everyone is well....

Embrace every moment...you only get it once

SgtCrabby

The Boundary Waters Canoe Area T-Bone mentioned could be a decent alternative.   I was there many years ago. My memory says the fishing was good.
It straddles the border;  Superior National Forest on US side and Quetico Provincial Park on the Canadian side.

Research it well;  when I was there, much of the area was off limits to powered boats.  But still lots of areas for power boats.

T

Looking for information on fishing the UP of Michigan.  Anyone have a place they like to go?