News:

Upgraded to SMF 2.1.4
We hope you like the new look and feel!

Main Menu

Open Water Trolling for Walleye

Started by T, January 29, 2021, 07:31:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

T

I was wondering if anyone has ever tried trolling for open water walleye on Kipawa and what was their success.

T-Bone

What's the definition of "open water"? Like out in the middle of the lake in 250'?
Embrace every moment...you only get it once

limacharley

I often troll in the spring along the shoreline in 18-25 fow and get some.

@T-Bone -I went fishing in Lake of the Woods for a week back in July 1998.
I was fishing with a local native guy and we trolled with the largest Shad Rap we had (7 inches). We were nailing them suspended in 180 feet of water.
I imagine the crankbait was maybe 15-20' down.
It does happen.
Everybody is a genius.
But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree,
it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
- Albert Einstein

T

Yes, I mean out away from structure. 80' and above

Gary S

We troll a lot! Through the years fishing Kipawa, Ogascanon, and several lakes east of there, we mostly troll structure but when switching sides or making a huge u turn we have caught fish out in the middle, 100' plus. The fish caught out in the deep include eyes, pike, and lake trout.

puckster_guy

I agree with Gary. I've been experimenting with trolling deep water with deep diving cranks. No dipsy's sometimes a keel weight. I have ok luck with some days better then others. I get some nice walleye and pike doing that. occasional laker in summer. But many more in the sept and on. It does work well. It works on Lake Erie, why not similar techniques here? I need to refine the craft but just experimenting got some nice fish. Chrome with a blue back worked best. Shad and perch work well too. I used the deepest divers I could buy. I trolled at random across McLauglin lakes. Give it a try.
Days spent fishing don't count against life :)

Ozzy30

I've trolled deep water before.  Some open water is better than others, the closer you are to structure the beter obviously but I fish around home in 80ftw with worm harnesses and have tried at kipawa with harnesses and cranks and have caught fish.