Humminbird Helix mapping options

Started by NovarDave, February 10, 2021, 07:32:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NovarDave

I have a new Helix and am looking into mapping options.  Does anyone have preferences, Zero lines card, Navionics or Lakemaster as how they work for Lake Kipawa specifically.  I understand through my research on HB threads that different areas are better served by different options.  My other fishing is generally central Ontario.  Thank you, Dave.

Greg

Hi Dave,

I use Navionics platinum card on a helix 7 while on Kipawa and it works great... no issues.

My boat technology is about 5 years old though... so I am thinking about a serious upgrade in the next couple of years and may try lakemaster if I get an Ipilot link electric motor with an upgraded networkable Helix or Solix.

Cheers,
Greg

Ozzy30

Navionics platinum here also.  If you want to see if the navionics chip is the best for your other lakes in ontario you fish just go to there website.  There you can go to chart viewer and shows all the lakes it covers.

plowjock

I have the Lake Master chip for Ontario. Most of the info is the same as Navionics, but not to same level of quality.
Now, having said that, their map work on the St. Lawrence River is top notch. It goes very high def work, greater detail.
US waters that are on Lake Master chips are a lot better map than Navionics. There was something to do with U.S. Canadian Relations and country security I believe a few years back which limited the high def. info being on these chip. Think this has since changed.

plowjock

Your title mentions H.B. Helix. What number Helix? Reason I ask is that you probably have a unit which is capable of
   Autocharting. With the Autocharting you can go into menu and set your unit up to record the bottom of the area you want to 
   fish. You will get a very clear outline and defined picture of the Lake/River bottom. H.B. gives you up to 8hrs. of recording
   saved within the Drive. Once the 8hrs. are up you can download info to the Zerolines Card. This way you get a more precise
   picture of the "Spot within a Spot," and why you were catching fish there. Just don't forget to shut it off when finished
   recording. Navionics and Lake Master do a decent job overall, but sometimes you just get more valuable info from your own
   little recordings. I used it, and I'll guarantee you, you will find some subtle little things which will explain Why you caught fish
   in a certain area, be it small rockpile, patch of grass, log on bottom.