I would like to be part of the Camp Owners Thread

Started by hinorth, February 14, 2021, 10:25:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hinorth

Hey Guys and Gals, (Not sure if the following is allowed or acceptable, if not please delete) I've been following the site for a short time now in chance of finding an owner considering to sell. I have been actively looking for a cottage / home on the lake or immediate area to purchase immediately... or at least by spring as it is quickly approaching.  Naturally I have checked listings, MLS and Kijiji as well have a good buddy that lives there locally and we haven't quite found the right one yet.  What I am primarily looking for is a "drive to" property so my wife and kids do not have to worry with hauling boats or snowmobiles when they go on their own, and I need them to be able to use it without me.  Child safe / sandy or shallow lakefront for the grandkids.  4 season would be great or the ability to winterize and heat the building, running water in the winter can be long term plan. Otherwise I am open to see what's available from camp/cottage or full time home as I hope to be able to retire there within the next year or two.. Maybe sooner.  We are a hunting, fishing outdoor "rural" family.  Thanks for any leads anyone may have hinorth@vianet.ca .  Kevin

crunchie

hinorth, I don't want to burst your bubble but you won't find anything on Kipawa Lake with what you're describing for at least $250,000 to $350,000 cdn.  Not sure what you're budget is as you didn't mention any price so maybe price is not an issue.  Just thought I'd let you know.  And that's if you can find something.
Keep your stick on the ice and your rod in the water

limacharley

I was going to say the same thing as you Crunchie. I have a boat access only camp and I wouldn’t let it go for less than $170k.

Hinorth- with what you’re looking for, you either need to look close to the town of Kipawa (not the reserve side) but in the south east section of the lake where homes are available or buy a lot at Red Pine and build your dream cottage. But again your “wants” are in the price range crunchie quoted.

Btw- I boat in every weekend and have never been turned away because of the weather. Only one time I was foolish to make the attempt and that will never happen again. I shouldn’t have gone that day but did. I’m wiser now knowing the signs to look for. Boating in is very safe if you have the right boat.
Everybody is a genius.
But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree,
it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
- Albert Einstein

hinorth

Crunchy and limacharley.  Thanks for your input.  That's exactly the info I was hoping for and very true, there is not much available right now and what does come up seems to be selling.  I am finding ads that the sellers cannot get removed from some somewhat suspect websites but I'm turning every rock in search and a bunch of those I found would definitely suit the bill but I have no idea how old they were but have since been sold, just not indicated as such on the website.  The "drive to" is for my wife, kids and grandkids.  Personally water access doesn't bother me.  I've been an outfitter all of my life and have never owned anything but fly-in camps, so being well equipped and prepared isn't a big deal but would rather not have them haul snowmobile trailers or boats up every time they go by themselves.  As well I am getting to an age that I would prefer to put my feet up than be worried when and if people can get there, but that likely will never leave my blood so I will just live with that.  I have looked into Red Pine Chute lots.  What is left is water access, and subdivision style was not my goal, but who knows, they seem to be reasonably priced and are actually available.  Might be what I end up doing, but without knowing that shoreline, I'd be real hesitant to buy waterfront that I can't see unless someone from the bay that fishes it a lot could verify that what I am seeing on satellite is not rocks, lilly pads or structure.  So Limacharley, sounds like you have considered "a price" are you serious?  I understand it's boat in but I am also coming to the realization that is what I might have to go with to be on the lake this spring.  As for budget, I understand what you are saying... and I'm good and could close immediately.  Any additional leads, advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated, even other lakes in the immediate area.  Thanks, Kevin

puckster_guy

Quote from: hinorth on February 21, 2021, 12:13:07 PM
Crunchy and limacharley.  Thanks for your input.  That's exactly the info I was hoping for and very true, there is not much available right now and what does come up seems to be selling.  I am finding ads that the sellers cannot get removed from some somewhat suspect websites but I'm turning every rock in search and a bunch of those I found would definitely suit the bill but I have no idea how old they were but have since been sold, just not indicated as such on the website.  The "drive to" is for my wife, kids and grandkids.  Personally water access doesn't bother me.  I've been an outfitter all of my life and have never owned anything but fly-in camps, so being well equipped and prepared isn't a big deal but would rather not have them haul snowmobile trailers or boats up every time they go by themselves.  As well I am getting to an age that I would prefer to put my feet up than be worried when and if people can get there, but that likely will never leave my blood so I will just live with that.  I have looked into Red Pine Chute lots.  What is left is water access, and subdivision style was not my goal, but who knows, they seem to be reasonably priced and are actually available.  Might be what I end up doing, but without knowing that shoreline, I'd be real hesitant to buy waterfront that I can't see unless someone from the bay that fishes it a lot could verify that what I am seeing on satellite is not rocks, lilly pads or structure.  So Limacharley, sounds like you have considered "a price" are you serious?  I understand it's boat in but I am also coming to the realization that is what I might have to go with to be on the lake this spring.  As for budget, I understand what you are saying... and I'm good and could close immediately.  Any additional leads, advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated, even other lakes in the immediate area.  Thanks, Kevin
I know that area like the back of my hand, Kevin. If I can help you let me know.
Days spent fishing don't count against life :)

hinorth

OK, another question... sorry but I can't find the info which I'm sure someone knows.  Does anyone out of Kipawa offer a "water" taxi service on the lake?  And thanks Puckster for your help.

limacharley

Water Taxi to shuttle people-I don't think there is. Alwaki and Kipawa Lodge use their own water taxi for their guests.

The Home Hardware at the 4 corners has a pontoon barge to shuttle construction supplies purchased through the Home Hardware.

There's a large steel barge also for construction equipment like shovels, dump trucks etc. Can't remember who owns it.

I have a pontoon barge that I rent out. Max capacity is 3000 pounds. I've shuttled my compact tractor across Hunter's lake with it. PM me for details.
Everybody is a genius.
- Albert Einstein

hinorth

Thanks Limacharley but I was thinking that if I do change direction and end up with a camp on the lake with water access only, is there a way to get my wife and kids to the property if I'm not with them....yes I know they should go get their boat licenses but that still doesn't make them safe under all conditions, especially transporting my grand daughters.  Thought maybe the marina might have had a boat jockey "kid" for this? Guess they could go in and buy a sheet of plywood and get on the delivery ship.

limacharley

hinorth-I can't imagine what the insurance would cost for a business like you suggest? Besides, there'd have to be enough people who want this service to make a go of it.

Most camp owners boat in themselves.
Everybody is a genius.
- Albert Einstein

crunchie

limacharley-I can't imagine what the insurance would cost for a business like you suggest? Besides, there'd have to be enough people who want this service to make a go of it.
Most camp owners boat in themselves.

Have to agree with limacharley, no known water taxi that I know of.  Not saying that you couldn't find one if you're in a pinch, for a price, but to rely on one on any given day would be negative.

hinorth

Just surprises me on a lake this size with that many boat in cottages that there is not a full fledged water taxi... even to deliver eggs and a case of beer.  I'm sure they could do it cheaper than to charter the beaver to fly them in.  I would think that most Marinas would have insurance to move boats, to add clients... who knows, but if they were to use your personal boat to take you into camp, again, who knows with insurance companies. I'm just trying to figure options. Thanks

puckster_guy

No marinas or gas stations as well, save for one in Kipawa town. It would be nice to have a place to go for a beer and lunch/dinner on the lake as well.
Days spent fishing don't count against life :)

crunchie

Sure would be nice to have a place to go to.  Couple of restaurants tried it, Miwapanee Lodge and there was another just across from the govt dock.   Miwapanee Lodge was a great place to go to, food was just delicious but I guess the off seasons were just too costly (November, December, March,April.  Still need to pay for liquor license, insurance, etc.  With not much income coming in, must have been really tough, this is just MHO, I may be way out on in left field. 
The other one across from the govt dock operated, if my memory serves me right, maybe 3-5 years.
Then there's The Lucarne in Laniel, although small in size, the food is quite good.

reelpro

Re the water taxi insurance it runs about $2,000 per season.

Plus the operator will need. SVOP certification from Transport Canada. Small vessel operators certificate for commercial marine operations, as well as
Med A3, and a Marine first aid  - about 5 days of training offered at many colleges,

I have run a Fishing Charter water taxi business for 15 yrs in Muskoka

Moving to Kipawa next year and I will  likely open up on Kipawa again in 2022 Covid permitting.

Not exactly a social distancing business, with 6 people in a 20 foot boat.

I will be operating out of the town of Kipawa

5 fisherman or 7 passengers