News:

Upgraded to SMF 2.1.4
We hope you like the new look and feel!

Main Menu

Best 2 weeks to fish Kipawa

Started by Captain Hali, September 19, 2020, 07:53:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Hali

Every body please jump in. If you had carte blanche to pick any two weeks to fish out of Alwaki when would you go?

smitty55

That's easy for me overall. Out of all the years camping at first, at Corbeau for at least 4 years, then all the rest with Carl and Mary, once we started going in the first two weeks of Aug we never looked back at any other times. They were always good times of course but the overall quality and satisfaction of that special week of my life each year was best that part of summer. Temps and weather are consistently good for the most part, black flies and mosquitoes are non existent by then which is a huge bonus, just have to outrace the deer flies when leaving the dock hehe. Blueberries are ripe too, my trips from cabins 4,5, or 6 to the lodge or shower always was delayed by stopping to do some picking on the way, sometimes it's just the little things eh... Another big plus for me was to actually be able to swim in the finally warm enough water and even be able to stay in for a while.
As for the fishing, it's a nice stable period. Walleye are well settled in their summer haunts, not in transition like earlier in the summer. It's also a great time for those special evenings sitting on a shoal or point as the sun goes down working jigs or casting slip float rigs and enjoying the times with friends.
For me though, Pickerel fishing was always just a secondary bonus, my reason for going to Kipawa was always for the Lake Trout fishing. Come August the thermocline is nicely set up, which provides an oxygen rich layer right around that 50° range preferred by Greys to target for trolling. Baitfish schools are well established too as the fry grow over the summer and thus offer other options to explore sometimes in open water or where they intersect structure.

All this being said, there's never a bad time for mind body and soul to visit Kipawa, I know we all agree on that :)

puckster_guy

Similar to Smitty as for the why's. However I'll take the middle two weeks of September. It's a tad cooler and I find the fish a bit more active as things cool down. Besides by that time of year many have shut down their camps or stopped coming, like in summer. I get most of the lake to myself every fall. Everybody else is in the bush for the hunt. Fall is definitely my favorite time of the year.
Days spent fishing don't count against life :)

T-Bone

Embrace every moment...you only get it once

limacharley

Quote from: T-Bone on September 20, 2020, 07:56:26 PM
Every two weeks.

Haha yup!

I spend almost every weekend on Hunter's Lake and I personally love the last week of July and the first week of August.
The temps are ideal for fishing. There's no bugs. On clear calm days, the water is warm for snorkeling, tubing etc.
And the days are longer so the campfire and scotch start later ;-)
Everybody is a genius.
But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree,
it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
- Albert Einstein

T-Bone

Quote from: limacharley on September 21, 2020, 11:09:03 AM
Quote from: T-Bone on September 20, 2020, 07:56:26 PM
Every two weeks.

Haha yup!

I spend almost every weekend on Hunter's Lake and I personally love the last week of July and the first week of August.
The temps are ideal for fishing. There's no bugs. On clear calm days, the water is warm for snorkeling, tubing etc.
And the days are longer so the campfire and scotch start later ;-)

Yep...agreed on those dates...and I've tried everything from late-May thru September.
Embrace every moment...you only get it once

NortonJoe

I'd say anywhere from the last two weeks of July to the first two weeks of August are definitely the best for me. The day temps are warm, night temps are cooler.  Black flies are pretty non-existent and the mosquitos have really died down.  I have generally felt that the fishing is still pretty good as well.  And yea, the ability to swim, play horseshoes, or just sit out in your shorts with a beer and cigar can't be beat.
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
~Henry David Thoreau

Hodgey1

Walleye Rock!

Hodgey1

@Captain Hali, When I first made the decision to come to Kipawa, @T-Bone and others steered me towards the end of July. After being there 3 years at that time, they couldn’t have been more right. I would highly recommend that time and even a little later for the same reasons mentioned by others, fishing, lack of bugs, water temp and long days.
Walleye Rock!

Gary S

I think it's usually the week before and the week after I'm there. ;D

johnny walleye

Last week of July first week of August . fishing is best in August just Imo

plowjock

Anytime you can be on the water, catching fish is a good time.
  Just knowing how to figure them out after the spawn, mid summer in the heat and then fall rolling in with the fish putting on
  the feed bag for the upcoming stiff water season.
  I'll try and figure them out for my first effort on this body of water.
  I'll certainly let everyone on the board know how we do.