Vaccine thoughts

Started by Hodgey1, February 18, 2021, 09:54:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dieselgirl

Hoping for at least one of the two trips that were rescheduled to 2021 will happen.  My husband has already been fully vaccinated and I await my second shot next week.  We sure have missed our Canadian trips.

Stay healthy!   :)

Hodgey1

Quote from: Dieselgirl on February 26, 2021, 01:25:01 PM
Hoping for at least one of the two trips that were rescheduled to 2021 will happen. We sure have missed our Canadian trips.

Agree @Dieselgirl , I am in the same boat. My fingers and legs are crossed.

Numbers continue to plummet here in NW PA. Today they reported 35 new cases county wide "270,000 people", when we were over 200 a day just recently. Vaccines coupled with heard immunity and a twist of people taking it seriously have things improving greatly. I am guessing, once the weather improves, numbers will drop even more, I hope  ???
Walleye Rock!

knuckles

Don't want to burst anyones bubbles yet..
Yesterday i heard on my local radio station in Ontaio...that my area has only vaccinated 2% of the population. Still working on first level, retirement homes etc.

They said that they were scheduled to do people in 50's in september. Thats scheduled.....with the delays we are seeing globally...i would be shocked if i was vaccinated by Sept.

But we can keep dreaming and hoping for a more normal life soon.

My thinking is this year will likely be mostly the same restrictions as last year.

reelpro

I’m thinking border openings in Late fall 2021 IF numbers plummet to near zero.

In central Ontario here we are going back into full lockdown tomorrow, as new variant cases are out breaking and local health dept is predicting we are in for the 3rd Wave over the next 60 -90 days .

Predictions are 3rd wave will be the worst yet as the new variants spreading are way more contagious.

Vaccines will slow it down if enough people get the jab, but it’s looking like wave 3 will have come and gone by the time we have enough vaccinated to make a difference.

Hope here right now is for no wave 4

T-Bone

I read in the Canadian media outlets "more lockdowns", "COVID breakouts", "extended lockdowns"...etc. I have no idea, but it seems the more you lock it down, the cases seem to 'fester' and grow. You would think the way Ontario has been locked down like a police state the virus would be all-but vanished by now...which leads me to believe the 'rules' are not likely being followed, or the 'rules' are just misguided and they have no idea what works and what doesn't. Which I think is truly the case...no matter where you live...US or Canada.

With the exception of going to Canada, life has almost returned to 'normal' around here. Ohio business and available entertainment options started opening up more and more lately...and cases are consistently going down almost every day for the past few weeks...daily only 20% of what they were a month ago. The annual Home & Garden Show in-person exhibition is ON here in Columbus for a full-week in starting next week. Like I've said before, I think you're disposed to getting it, or you won't...it's really that simple.

To be honest, I hope they open the border so we have the option of going up to Kipawa this year, but I've stopped obsessing about it. There are plenty of options to keep me happy on holiday down here. It's way out of our hands anyway...
Embrace every moment...you only get it once

RHYBAK

Quote from: T-Bone on March 01, 2021, 08:28:48 AM
I read in the Canadian media outlets "more lockdowns", "COVID breakouts", "extended lockdowns"...etc. I have no idea, but it seems the more you lock it down, the cases seem to 'fester' and grow. You would think the way Ontario has been locked down like a police state the virus would be all-but vanished by now...which leads me to believe the 'rules' are not likely being followed, or the 'rules' are just misguided and they have no idea what works and what doesn't. Which I think is truly the case...no matter where you live...US or Canada.

With the exception of going to Canada, life has almost returned to 'normal' around here. Ohio business and available entertainment options started opening up more and more lately...and cases are consistently going down almost every day for the past few weeks...daily only 20% of what they were a month ago. The annual Home & Garden Show in-person exhibition is ON here in Columbus for a full-week in starting next week. Like I've said before, I think you're disposed to getting it, or you won't...it's really that simple.

To be honest, I hope they open the border so we have the option of going up to Kipawa this year, but I've stopped obsessing about it. There are plenty of options to keep me happy on holiday down here. It's way out of our hands anyway...

That is good news for your area T-Bone "BUT"  lets see what happens in 14 days?
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

T-Bone

It's been like this for several weeks now...well beyond the 14-day "boogie man" period.

So, in Ontario, what does "lockdown" mean? I see "this area" and "that area" are "going on lockdown" again for so many days...more of this type of news over the past several days. Does that mean no restaurants, haircuts, no bars, etc.??? Clearly people are ice fishing, but I saw where two guys got $800 tickets each as they were sharing the same hut but not from the same household...if that's even true.

Bern

QuoteI read in the Canadian media outlets "more lockdowns", "COVID breakouts", "extended lockdowns"...etc. I have no idea, but it seems the more you lock it down, the cases seem to 'fester' and grow. You would think the way Ontario has been locked down like a police state the virus would be all-but vanished by now...which leads me to believe the 'rules' are not likely being followed, or the 'rules' are just misguided and they have no idea what works and what doesn't. Which I think is truly the case...no matter where you live...US or Canada.

Ohio probably as herd immunity.  Ontario doesn't yet, probably, because of mask wearing, social distancing and lockdowns.  Herd immunity as cost Ohio 17348 lives for a death rate of 148 per 100k.  Compare that with Ontario with 6980 death for a death rate of 47 per 100k.  I prefer minor inconveniences to save lives. 

I look forward to the day the border is reopened also, I miss walleye fishing in NY.

Stay safe.

RHYBAK

Quote from: T-Bone on March 01, 2021, 04:06:55 PM
It's been like this for several weeks now...well beyond the 14-day "boogie man" period.

So, in Ontario, what does "lockdown" mean? I see "this area" and "that area" are "going on lockdown" again for so many days...more of this type of news over the past several days. Does that mean no restaurants, haircuts, no bars, etc.??? Clearly people are ice fishing, but I saw where two guys got $800 tickets each as they were sharing the same hut but not from the same household...if that's even true.

No restaurants ( take out only)
No Bars
No Haircuts
No Retail ( unless essential)
Masks on

Yes people are ice fishing.
I have hear of fines being handed out on snowmobile trails to people that live in different zones.
Ice fisherman are still travelling in groups out of household

Fishermen are ignorant and for the sake of fishing, think it's O.K. to travel together.
I for one, still drive alone and will hook up with my buddies on location
We do not fish in huts.
We are open air Nomads.

T-Bone

Well...I'm all for people doing what they have to do to get this thing to go away. I wouldn't say Ohio is anywhere near herd immunity...less than 8% of the population here has had a confirmed case. And I've said it before...this whole change in lifestyle hasn't really affected me that much. I'm not one to go to restaurants very often, prefer to hang out with a relatively small group of friends, and spend as much time outdoors as possible. Someone showed me a comic early-on in this that said, "You never realize how pedestrian your life is until a pandemic hits and you hardly notice any change at all." Fit me perfectly. HA HA HA!!!

And those examples of lockdown rules, Mr. Rhybak, have been long-buried around here. Restaurants have had in-service dining for several months (wide spacing), haircuts open (wide spacing), all retail is open, etc. They are sticklers about wearing a mask, keeping your distance, etc. I've seen people booted from stores for not wearing a mask. In the end, it comes down to money (like most things). When businesses are closed and money movement slows down, that's bad. The only value money really has is if it's moving from one hand and in to another. Without that, we're all screwed.

fishtildark

I am scheduled to get the second dose of vaccine today and have to admit I was having second thoughts . in the end getting the vaccine is the right thing and hopefully will speed up the recovery . There is some credibility in T-Bones comment that you will get it or you wont  but trouble is not knowing which group you are in. Both Ohio and Pennsylvania are loosening the restrictions and it has been much looser than Rhybak describes for some time. Yet we have seen a decrease in cases even in the face of the concerns about the expected post holiday spike..just so many variables that you cant point to any one thing causing it.With what I am reading about the lockdowns and slow vaccination progress I have pretty much given up hope on traveling to Canada this year. I am wondering if it is a supply issue or scheduling issues such as Pennsylvania had. In any event , the progress in the vaccinations has to be a welcome item but then I read that 60 %of the population isnt sure they will get it. Stay safe all.
So many lures and so little time.

RHYBAK

Quote from: T-Bone on March 02, 2021, 08:46:11 AM
Well...I'm all for people doing what they have to do to get this thing to go away. I wouldn't say Ohio is anywhere near herd immunity...less than 8% of the population here has had a confirmed case. And I've said it before...this whole change in lifestyle hasn't really affected me that much. I'm not one to go to restaurants very often, prefer to hang out with a relatively small group of friends, and spend as much time outdoors as possible. Someone showed me a comic early-on in this that said, "You never realize how pedestrian your life is until a pandemic hits and you hardly notice any change at all." Fit me perfectly. HA HA HA!!!

And those examples of lockdown rules, Mr. Rhybak, have been long-buried around here. Restaurants have had in-service dining for several months (wide spacing), haircuts open (wide spacing), all retail is open, etc. They are sticklers about wearing a mask, keeping your distance, etc. I've seen people booted from stores for not wearing a mask. In the end, it comes down to money (like most things). When businesses are closed and money movement slows down, that's bad. The only value money really has is if it's moving from one hand and in to another. Without that, we're all screwed.

We were at that same point a few months ago.
Restaurants were open with spaced seating, salons were open, limited shoppers were allowed in stores... THEN, the numbers started to sky rockets again.
That is when the province shut down again  ( around February 2)
Now we are patiently waiting again for things to open up slowly.
Some of the parts of the province started to open slowly but as of yesterday some municipalities shut their doors down again because of numbers.
Provincially we are averaging 1000 new case per day

Greg

Here in Ottawa, just 4.5 hours from RHYBAK's greater Toronto area, our numbers have been lower, so Ontario has broken down the geography into regions... we can eat in a restaurants (spaced out), get hair cuts, and go in retail stores (25% capacity only).

Numbers in our region still seem to be climbing, and I suspect wave 3 will be coming (especially with the Variants).  Our vaccine distribution has gotten off to a slow start - like 3% of population has been vaccinated... and they are starting next week for people over 80 years of age.  I am hoping the next 4 months, the rate of vaccinations dramatically increases... unless the Quebec border shuts down, i am going for my 2 different weeks, no matter what!!

Stay safe.
   Greg

Oarin

My wife and I got our first shots today. CVS runs a very smooth operation. Very pleased. Why is Canada so far behind the U.s. in vaccines?

Greg

Hey Oarin,

Regarding Canada's slow vaccine roll-out... I am sure there is a true story which will never see the light of day, but ultimately, I believe if comes down to how many vaccines got shipped to Canada from the manufacturing points (none of which are within Canadian boarders).  I happen to work in health care and I heard the Ontario government was expecting 1 million shipments one week, but only got 200k.  Lots of people blaming our prime minister and incompetence at Federal government level... and I'm not standing up for him here what-so-ever, but what can anyone do about a company from another country not delivering on their commitments. 

Everyone in Canada is hoping we can see accelerated vaccination schedules in the coming 4 to 6 months....but that will depend on supply from manufacturers delivered to Canada.

Greg