Vaccine thoughts

Started by Hodgey1, February 18, 2021, 09:54:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hodgey1

I was able to get my 82 year old father and myself vaccinated the other day. I am hoping that between vaccinations and warmer weather on the way that cases continue to fall as they have around me. My county "pop. 270k" which is pretty rural for the most part, is dropping nearly everyday from a daily high approaching 300 and now hovering around 55 per day.

My question to you all is your thought and or intentions regarding the vaccine. My second shot is scheduled for the beginning of March. Also, what are the prospects of the border opening this summer? I know it is a slippery question, but just a general feel is all I'm interested in, I know, no one knows the answer. I am very selfishly, curious about the end of July! LOL!
Walleye Rock!

RHYBAK

No Sense speculating just to get your hopes crushed..

One day at a time.
Baby steps
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

T

From everything I have read, I do not see the border opening up this summer. I am making alternate plans

RHYBAK

Quote from: T on February 18, 2021, 11:27:29 AM
From everything I have read, I do not see the border opening up this summer. I am making alternate plans

Chris
Do you want me to pick you up in the Middle of Lake Erie  and I'll bring you home with me.
Then we'll drive up to Kipawa for a few days

Hodgey1

;D I'm In!

In all seriousness, the economics of the border closure has to have become a real issue for Canadian border towns and tourist destinations all over Canada. I have no Ideas the dollars, but it has to be catastrophic to small businesses.  I know economics should not be a primary driver in pandemic related decisions, My only thought is, that once both Countries have the majority of their people vaccinated and number falling, the boarder should open. I can only hope right now and since my engine is only running on hope, I have to continue to.

The jokes about about Covid 19 being about the 19 pound you gain in quarantine are true, with the exception that it maybe time to rename it the Covid 20  ;D
Walleye Rock!

Oarin

Hodgey, I'm with you. My wife and I get our first shot in mid March. I am still living in hope that it opens this Summer. I'm sure you're right about the economic strain the closure has put on businesses. I hope they can survive.

RHYBAK

Economic strains has no priority over the health and safety of mankind.

businesses will close and when this is over, businesses will open.
one vicious economic circle.

As for the borders and vaccines...... the way people are getting vaccinated, I would figure more on 2022 and not 2021 BUT you never know with our politicians and their decisions.

I'm not really trying to be a Debbie Downer but really????
What's more important here.
A fishing trip into another country or the well being of Humanity.

And lets not answer out of selfishness but out of reality.

Oh and by the way.
Businesses are not hurting because of the lack of cross border shoppers.
They are hurting because the politicians are shutting down any public gathering places which includes in store shopping.
COVID is affecting the businesses.

Jay Thomas

Quote from: Hodgey1 on February 18, 2021, 09:54:28 AMMy question to you all is your thought and or intentions regarding the vaccine. My second shot is scheduled for the beginning of March. Also, what are the prospects of the border opening this summer? I know it is a slippery question, but just a general feel is all I'm interested in, I know, no one knows the answer. I am very selfishly, curious about the end of July! LOL!

So far, the available Covid-19 vaccines have not been judged primarily on their ability to prevent transmission â€" though this is now being evaluated as a secondary endpoint for many of them. Instead, their efficacy was assessed by whether they could prevent symptoms from developing. "This means that we set our targets kind of pragmatically," says Danny Altmann, professor of immunology at Imperial College London.

Consequently, far too many questions without answers yet. Chances are that most Ontario residents will not be vaccinated before Sep 21. Accordingly, I doubt the border will open this year.

Jay

Gary S

Nothing wrong with having hope, we need hope to keep functioning, however we also need to keep in mind that this virus situation could get better or worse at any time. I got my first dose Feb 11th and the second dose should happen on Mar 4th. I certainly hope it works for me and others.

Hodgey1

Quote from: Gary S on February 18, 2021, 06:00:25 PM
  Nothing wrong with having hope, we need hope to keep functioning

Amen Gary. Like I said earlier, my engine runs on it.
Walleye Rock!

fishtildark

Hodgey, like you I have been living with the hope that the vaccination may at least be used for an entry requirement but with what I am reading, not very confident. Scheduled for my second shot March 2 unless the state screws up the supply chain. I also am trying to play by the rules , even paying for a test a few days ago as " required by Pa " if returning from out of state travels. The numbers are dropping but after being in Florida , I dont know how. Saw several restaurants in one section simply packed with maskless people to the point where I refused to go in. Im not a germaphobe but this close to the second shot really trying to avoid the thing. If there is a continued reduction of cases in florida with what i saw then there is something else going on that the conspiracy theorists can start .
I will continue to hope the border will open but have an alternate reservation that will require me to make a cancellation by early April or lose the deposit....... my guess is we wont cancel and if the border miraculously opens, address the question of the deposit.
Last comment about the test after travelling...How does it make sense for Pennsylvania to require a negative test within 3 days before re entry and then you get on a plane ?
So many lures and so little time.

Hodgey1

Glad you opted for and got your first shot FTD. Fingers are crossed for a better 2021
Walleye Rock!

T-Bone

Well...I don't know. One part of me is hopeful for our late-July trip...another part is a realist and think we may be hopeful to see Kipawa in September. I guess we just have to be positive, do what we can to stay healthy, and hope for the borders to open. Haven't heard much about the 'vaccination passport' of late, though I did hear a bit about it a few weeks ago. I'll be getting the vacc when it's my turn...that's for sure.

As for financial impact...I don't think Canada is willing to let the tail wag the dog...just not a priority. If they're still not having in-restaurant seating or other 'common' in-person activities are wholly impermissible, it's clear keeping businesses financially healthy is not a top consideration, but rather the health of the general public.

There's a part of me that's starting to believe your genetic "make-up" is the biggest determinant of whether you get this thing or not....meaning you're either disposed to getting it, or you simply will not. My neighbor's daughter had it...slight symptoms...and all four of them quarantined together for 2-weeks. After she was symptom free for 2-weeks, they all got tested and she was the only one with antibodies. Other neighbor...6 people in household...once their son got it, they all had it within a day or two. Who knows...I'm not a scientist.

Hoping beyond hope for a 2021 Kipawa trip...
Embrace every moment...you only get it once

SgtCrabby

My group had already decided that we'll be staying stateside again in 2021.
Would we have liked to return this year; heck yes.
But the border closed situation is what it is. I personally doubt it will reopen for this year's season. 

Maybe 2022 will look better.

May everyone, on both sides of the border, have a good and safe year.

RHYBAK

Sorry for my blunt answer.
I guess it's because I'm already on the right side of the border and my dreams aren't being shattered.
Sorry Guys.

I have my trips booked and they are not in jeopardy unless something really bad takes off in Quebec.