Vaccine thoughts

Started by Hodgey1, February 18, 2021, 09:54:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hodgey1

Quote from: BigChief on May 05, 2021, 08:22:08 AM
I heard the walleye are hitting up there right now!

I heard the same thing @BigChief , I don't have a 9.9 to go to Pymatuning though. I am hoping to get out soon to small mouth bass fish lake erie.

On the vaccine front. PA announced removal of indoor capacity limitations today by the end of this month. NJ & Delaware as well, the middle of this month. Case loads here keep falling as vaccine rates increase.
Walleye Rock!

Jay Thomas

Quote from: RHYBAK on May 04, 2021, 03:47:22 PMWhat I do wish is the Ministry would lighten up on the regulations and let us keep one over the slot

Not sure I understand any rationale for harvesting bigger walleye - they sure don't taste as good as the 2 to 3 pounders.

Jay

RHYBAK

Quote from: Jay Thomas on May 05, 2021, 01:16:08 PM
Quote from: RHYBAK on May 04, 2021, 03:47:22 PMWhat I do wish is the Ministry would lighten up on the regulations and let us keep one over the slot

Not sure I understand any rationale for harvesting bigger walleye - they sure don't taste as good as the 2 to 3 pounders.

Jay

I'm thinking a few more inches only.
Not a monster.
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

Hodgey1

Quote from: Jay Thomas on May 05, 2021, 01:16:08 PM

I’ve not met a walleye that i didn’t like eating, including the 7.5 lb’er i caught in Lake Erie a couple of years back.
Walleye Rock!

Jay Thomas

Quote from: Hodgey1 on May 05, 2021, 04:08:57 PMI’ve not met a walleye that i didn’t like eating, including the 7.5 lb’er i caught in Lake Erie a couple of years back.

I guess I got spoiled. Back in the 50s and early 60s, my Dad and I fished the western basin of Lake Erie out of Colchester harbour. While we caught lots of bigger walleye, my Dad would not bring home any walleye over 17 inches. He referred to these sweet tasting walleye as "spikes". And his rationale for harvesting these spikes was flavour.

Jay

plowjock

Let's put it another way. Would you want to eat meat off of an 8 year old Holstein cow as compared to eating meat off of a 2 years old
heifer. The younger animal is much more tender and muscle tissue easier to digest. Probably wouldn't have been a breeder anyway. As Jay has stated the smaller fish are a lot more flavourful and meat is flaky. You get the old fish, and I know particularly Lake trout, because of the ciscos and smelt which they feed off of the meat is very oily and tastes terrible. Muskrat Lake anything over 4 lbs. goes back. Nothing but grease balls. Then you have the reproductive side of things where the older females are able to spawn out a lot more viable eggs as compared to the younger females. Also a lot smarter fish as I see it that they didn't ingest every bait thrown at them. Better genetics come from the younger sound females which mature much slowly. Once they big girls do hit the giant size, I know research shows some slow down in egg production, but I'd enjoy a good fight with one of them and then surrender her back to the depths for another angler to catch. I know a young lady who pulled an 18 lb walleye out of the Bay of Quinte through the ice, she was devastated with the size and she got measurements and photos and released to let somebody else catch. This lady also guides "She Loves To F.ish is her YT handle.

chiaro

For our American friends here is an update. Hospitalizations, incubation, ICU admissions are all trending down, as are deaths and infections. Vaccinations are now pouring into our country and will soon get to a peak vaccination rate. Better yet here in Ontario they are now targeting hotspots and essential works. Also in general Ontarioians do the right thing over individual rights which means we should have a good total of the population vaccinated.

It's not if Ontario will open this summer, it's when.

BigChief

Quote from: chiaro on May 06, 2021, 01:41:51 PM
For our American friends here is an update. Hospitalizations, incubation, ICU admissions are all trending down, as are deaths and infections. Vaccinations are now pouring into our country and will soon get to a peak vaccination rate. Better yet here in Ontario they are now targeting hotspots and essential works. Also in general Ontarioians do the right thing over individual rights which means we should have a good total of the population vaccinated.

It's not if Ontario will open this summer, it's when.
@chiaro thanks for the update, so there is still hope!

RHYBAK

8)
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

Oarin

All good.

michelle

So sorry to hear Oarin :(...fingers crossed that you get to Kipawa soon with your son, it's been a long year

Oarin

Thanks Michelle, at this point the cancer is gone, but the Doc. still wants regular check ups to see if it returns. Guys, if you haven't had your PSA test for your prostate you should. I waited too long and it was a 9 on a scale of 2 to 10. Not good. Moderators if this isn't allowed delete it.

T-Bone

Quote from: Oarin on May 10, 2021, 01:05:12 PM
RHYBAK, what's with the smiling faces on your post! Do you think it's funny that the American members of this site can't go again this year?

I remember a line from one of the Batman movies where Michael Caine tells a story that concludes with, "Some people just like to watch the world burn." I don't think Mr. Rhybak feels like that way though...he just likes to pull strings...

Sorry to hear about your diagnosis Oarin...hopefully you stay in front of it and continue to see many more Kipawa trips.

I read an article from a couple of days ago that said late-summer to fall at soonest before the border will be open...and they said the 'red tape' to get that process created may take quite some time. Discouraging, but it is what it is.

Cases continue to dive here...vaccines still going into arms. I would assess the "fear" level in Canada is 10x that of the states right now...and with the exception of wearing masks when in public indoors life is almost back to normal. Not sure what's going on up there...it seems clear the govt has little idea what works and what doesn't so they're just flinging noodles against the wall to see what sticks. Like closing boat launches...that's just ridiculous to believe that would have any meaningful effect on mitigating the virus spread.

Hopeful to return soon...but not counting on it...

Embrace every moment...you only get it once

Hodgey1

Quote from: Oarin on May 10, 2021, 03:22:46 PM
Thanks Michelle, at this point the cancer is gone, but the Doc. still wants regular check ups to see if it returns. Guys, if you haven't had your PSA test for your prostate you should. I waited too long and it was a 9 on a scale of 2 to 10. Not good.

Good advise @Oarin . I’m glad things are looking better for you!
Walleye Rock!

chiaro

I think we will move from a stay at home order to the "freer" lockdown soon. Everything is positive on the pandemic side of things here. Ditto in the US. Vaccines WORK!!!

That border will be open no later then August, likely July...or may be JUNE? I'd put money on the end of August knowing it very likely.

They are putting about 3 million vaccinations in new arms a week right now in Canada. We've already vaccinated 15 million out of 38 million. 4 more weeks should put us at the bottom end of the herd immunity threshold. Right now we are vaccinating a significantly higher rate then the US and there is not as much vaccine hesitancy here as in the US.