Records of Largest Fish of each Species caught in Lake Kipawa

Started by plowjock, April 22, 2021, 07:33:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

plowjock

I figure the vastness of this lake and the amount of baitfish that are in it, it has to rival some of the great Northwestern Canada lakes. There is so much variation in depths, creating spawning areas galore. From what I have read in previous trip reports there has to be one fantastic walleye group with some numbers up to 100 fish a day being caught. Haven't done it with walleyes, yet, but have had a few days of over 100 bass and crappies, all on jerkbaits. This was on another lake on the Rideau system. Keep the thinking caps on, we'll soon have a pretty decent idea of what GIANTS to exist in Lake Kipawa.

Graphite

I have had the pleasure over the years of catching a few ten LB plus walleye. My boy blew away any sort of personal best when he caught a hog of a fish 2013!!!  14Lb 5OZ walleye. I've tried to upload a pic but it's too large.  We released her. I remember up until a few years ago when we would troll for trout back in Dead Bear Bay the huge marks we would see on the fish finder. We always wondered what they were.

smitty55

Quote from: Graphite on April 26, 2021, 09:57:20 AM
I have had the pleasure over the years of catching a few ten LB plus walleye. My boy blew away any sort of personal best when he caught a hog of a fish 2013!!!  14Lb 5OZ walleye. I've tried to upload a pic but it's too large.  We released her. I remember up until a few years ago when we would troll for trout back in Dead Bear Bay the huge marks we would see on the fish finder. We always wondered what they were.

It wouldn't surprise me if those marks were big Pike. On one trip a buddy of mine had the leader on his gang troll cut clean 3 times in two days in DBB after a massive strike. No way it was a Laker.

Graphite

That makes sense.  Wasn't sure if lake sturgeon were that far north.  We also have had marks like that on Hunter.  Close to Gull island and the point off of Kipawa lodge.

Captain Hali

Graphite

chiaro

Quote from: Graphite on April 26, 2021, 05:01:09 PM
That makes sense.  Wasn't sure if lake sturgeon were that far north.  We also have had marks like that on Hunter.  Close to Gull island and the point off of Kipawa lodge.
You will find them in some lakes all the way to Jame's bay.

https://www.natureconservancy.ca/assets/images/graphics/nat/maps/lake_sturgeon_map_NCC-1000px-custom.jpg

Calicofishing

I was at Bush Country on Sasaganaga in 2008 and Art had a walleye mounted that he claimed was 20 pounds hanging on the wall.