News:

Upgraded to SMF 2.1.4
We hope you like the new look and feel!

Main Menu

Bass made it down south yet?

Started by s515_15, December 28, 2020, 06:24:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

s515_15

Heard they are pretty much everywhere now...just wondering if the guys at the south end of the lake are pulling some into the boat now.

Also, any areas on the lake, lets say bottom half(maybe mckenzie island on down), that have a lot of vegetation mid summer like lily pads etc.

Greg

Hi S515_15... have to ask... what does s515_15 mean as a username?

As for your question, yes, each year, more and more bass have been migrating south - plenty of discussion on this in previous posts.  I always stay at Alwaki lodge and fish usually within 15 minute boat ride around that area... and over the last 5 years, we have gone from catching no bass each trip, to catching 1, then 1 or 2, then last year, our count for 2 boats was around 7 bass I believe.

Definitely, the bass population has been increasing and migrating south.

Happy new year and stay safe.

Cheers,
Greg

s515_15

s515_15 was my username on the original forum. Haven't been up to Kipawa since 2009 unfortunately

Kyle Skelding

Fished the third week of September, out of the dead bear outpost. Dead bear and sunny side had enough bass to make them a nuisance. Some outings we caught more bass than walleye. Love catching bass, just not when I want walleye.  More and more every year for sure.

Mattie

I experimented 2 summers ago on the dock from our cabin at Alwaki with a slip bobber less then an hour. 2 bass (Not huge) and one surprise walleye. Before that all I have caught from the dock were pike. I just randomly walk down on the afternoon for a bit with a beer and will cast spoons usually but specifically tried to see if I could get Bass that time on a leech and did. We caught many bass that week on the boat in the surrounding areas jigging for walleye.

limacharley

They are definitely in Hunter's Lake. I see them on their nests in the sand on our shoreline.
They are known to co-exist with pike and walleye in many lakes.

When they start eating all my leeches....then we'll have a problem.
Everybody is a genius.
But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree,
it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
- Albert Einstein

wayne

Yes, the bass are in Hunters Lake, also Lac Bedout around North River. Not sure about Grindstone. They are great eating. My favorite recipe is blacken bass on the barbeque. Yum!

Ozmo

Here is a thought that I had. I remember years ago some outfitters would have a fish fry mid week for all those in camp. Obviously the primary species were walleye and maybe a couple pike. Why not start up the old tradition and make it smallies only. It would probably help out the walleye population and help control the small mouth population. Of course that's all up to the outfitter because I would imagine that can be a lot of work. It's a good way for all in camp to mingle though. Just thinking out loud.

RHYBAK

What is everybodies problem with Smallmouth.
They have co-existed with Walleye for hundreds of years.

Start to worry about the Walleye population if Crappie show up.
That is the species that eats young walleye fry.

I don't know where you get the notion that you're going to thin out the Bass population.
They are here to stay.
Just enjoy the variety in the fish species.
I never hear anybody complaining about the Pike.
Those are Walleye eaters.

Walleye in the water/ Pickeral in the frypan
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

T-Bone

Quote from: RHYBAK on January 25, 2021, 03:55:23 PM

I never hear anybody complaining about the Pipe.

You won’t hear me or Mattie complaining about the pipe. Oh, maybe you had a typo.  ::)
Embrace every moment...you only get it once

hinorth

I saw a huge school of Bass from our dock behind Bronson Island last weekend. All nice big, fat ones.  Also saw a school of suckers in the narrows... I think that might be referred to as the snye???