Bass parasites

Started by Oarin, July 04, 2014, 11:14:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oarin

Has anyone heard of a bass parasite infection in Quebec lakes? I guess eating them can cause stomach problems. I can't remember where I read it. Oarin.

Rik

Just got back from a two week stint at TBL. Tom said in his seminar biologist sampled smallmouth in Kipawa and confirmed they have a parasite. The parasite is not visible and they are recommending not to eat the fish. Parasite is not affecting growth...their big, fat and sassy. Hope this helps.

Oarin

Thanks Rik, how you do????

Rik

Everybody in camp caught plenty of fish, walleye probably averaged around 19 to 20 inches. Bass we caught were 17 to 18 inches. Biggest bass in camp was 20 1/2 inches and biggest walleye was 29. We got leeches at Billie Bobs, they were nice, $50.00 pound. Good luck.

Oarin

T-Bone

Why in the wide, wide world of sports would anyone ever eat bass unless it was a dire survival situation or something like that?

But then again, I'm probably not the best baseline for harvesting and eating fish; I rarely harvest a single fish when we're in Kipawa and only will if the boys in the group want a fish dinner or something.

And while the subject is presented, what's the story on the smallmouth bass in the NE arm? It seems their numbers are exploding? Is this a concern for the 'balance' of species in the lake? I love to catch them, but I don't necessarily want to see walleye fishing take a hit for the gain of smallie fishing.   

Embrace every moment...you only get it once

Oarin

I agree, so far so good, but who knows what the future will be for the walleye. Not catching a single bass would be fine with me. 12 more days!!!  Oarin.

RHYBAK

When we first went up 12 years ago, we were in the understanding that there were no Bass in the lake.
Now,they're getting them in the 7 pound range.
What gives ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

CaptainCrappie

1997, My first year at 3 Seasons, Gerry told us, "No bass in Kipawa.  I believed him, no reason not to. He grew up on that lake! A few years went by and stories emerged that smallmouth bass were being introduced in Deep bay (around Taggert Bay camp). Asking Gerry about it, he appeared to be really pissed off! There's gotta be more to that story!  Lo and behold, smallmouth bass began to turn up in a few trip reports. It wasn't until 2010 till I caught my first smallmouth bass, slip floating a leech.  In 2011 during a slow period, fishing in Loon Bay, I decided to scout out some new territory and watching my locator, some marks were showing near bottom in about 20 ft. of water. I assumed that they were walleyes.  I lowered my Aqua-Vu camera to check em out, and was shocked to see a big school of smallmouth!  Had to be 15-20 of them, but I could not get them to bite.

Common sense says that if the the bass weren't there before, and most everywhere now,  at least in the north east arm, it's going to effect the walleyes in some way.  It's probably way to early to tell but in time, it will be interesting to find out. I wonder what that bass parasite is all about? Eating bass may make you sick? Something in the water? From another source?  Could it spread to the walleyes?  God I hope not!

C.C.
You don't get these days back.  Live each day as if it were your last and one day you will be right.

NortonJoe

If the bass were artificially introduced, this would be the perfect example of why man shouldn't screw around with nature...
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
~Henry David Thoreau

SgtCrabby

Who would be unintellegent enough to introduce a fish where nature didn't put it?   

Has anyone heard what type of parisites (one of those long latin/greek names)?

T-Bone: down here bass is a major targetted fish to catch & eat. But in all truth, I'm not that fond of eating it, crappie is mucho better tasting.

Rik

Hi All, Tom at TBL told me the biologist said this is common with smallmouth everywhere. Here in Pa the Juniata and Susquehanna rivers have infected smallmouth but they have visible lesions caused by a bacterial infection. The smallmouth on Kip have a parasite that is not visible to the naked eye. Not sure about invasive species but I caught a catfish in the lake there last week....anybody else catch a cat? My first in 10 trips there, caught on a leech and bobber. Rik

600 miles north

@Rik we have caught catfish before on Kipawa occasionally, especially on the sandbar at sandy portage. I can remember being about 12 years old and pushing out on an inflatable raft at our cabin and catching a catfish. I believe they have been there in the lake for a long time.

Bass are a different story. I have also heard the rumors that they were introduced to the lake. So far I don't see any signs by trip reports, and my experience on the lake, that they are harming the walleye populations in general. Lets hope it stays that way. I have to admit that the kids and I had a blast a couple times fishing for them last year.

Brad
600 miles north is where I'd rather be!

NortonJoe

Fishing for bass can be a lot of fun but I've never been a fan of eating them...apparantly wouldn't want to eat them out of Kipawa anyway!
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
~Henry David Thoreau

600 miles north

Here is another question... If the bass are not native to the lake, are known to have a parasite on Kipawa the effects humans, and possibly could be hurting other fish populations, are those of you catching them releasing them? What is the consensus on not releasing them back to the lake. I am not even sure if there are or aren't regulations on possession limits of smallmouth bass on Kipawa? Just curious all your thoughts out there about this...

Brad
600 miles north is where I'd rather be!