Non Kipawa Report

Started by GregL, July 26, 2021, 10:13:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GregL

Well, new console was a success MOSTLY!

I had a bad ground wire which was cutting my voltage to my fuse panel in the console in 1/2! I did not even have time to test everything before we left, so I had my fingers crossed, I didn't make any mistakes!

I'm not sure why it was a bad connection. I crimped and soldered all my battery lugs. I had to run into town and get a couple crimp on rings. The replacement ring terminals did the trick.
I now have the same voltage readings at the battery and fuse panels (Bow and console).

I have read on line that your graphs should be run directly to the battery. I don't by it! I ran everything to the fuse panel. I have zero interference on my graphs.

We both really like this set up, just seems to open up the back of the boat!

The new switch panel is MUCH better than the factory one! Every wire is labeled and terminated with a heat shrunk end. Not the cheap crap Alumacraft uses!
Every device is grounded separately, which will make troubleshooting much easier! I had issues with my livewell pumps last year, I couldn't find the issue
because there was 6 grounds crimped to 1 wire UGH!

I have a few jumpers to add for the auto features on the recirc pump and livewell.

We fished 2 mornings and one afternoon last week, rest of the week was spent training our dogs.

Tina taking our pup for a ride, to pick up the gear after stretching him out on the water. It is just amazing that a 5 month old pup will swim the length of this pond and know exactly where his bird is! Very cool!

We fished a little walleye lake twice. This is from our second time on this lake, we nailed them! 3 man limit in 4 hours! Largest was 19 1/4", we had 8 19 inchers, all off the same location! All fish were between 17" and 19 1/4 inches.
We were allowed to keep 1 over 18.11" and 3 below.

Our second morning on this lake only gave us 3 walleye and 1 good small mouth. We had no wind and clear skies. I think the eyes were just sulking that day.

One afternoon, we tried our hand at the north channel of Lake Huron for some trout and salmon but could not find them. I have no experience fishing salmon other than in a river. We trolled between 50 and 110' depths. I think we needed to be over deeper water because we marked very few fish. Next time we are going to look for 150' and deeper.

Come on september!

Ozzy30

Thanks Greg, glad you caught some.

bucknbull

Hi Greg. Glad to hear your electrical issues are fixed. Thanks for the fishing report too. 👍

smitty55

Looks good Greg. As to your continuity issue the one thing I can think of is that the wire itself under the insulation was oxidized, in which case it wouldn't make the best contact with the crimped lug and also wouldn't accept the solder either. I've seen it before, even on unused wire. What I did then was take sandpaper to clean the outside of the wire strands back to shiny and then tin the wire real good using lot's of flux. Then crimp and solder.

GregL

It had to be that because both lugs were brand new and the wire is the 8 gauge from the factory. I pulled it and replaced it with 6 gauge for the TM.

I'm going to replace these 2 connections with better ring terminals and heat shrink them.. hopefully we'll have no issues on live wells like last year on our holidays this time :)

Hodgey1

Wiring problems aside, you had a nice catch of fish! Great to see Greg.
Walleye Rock!