Leeches

Started by Oarin, August 18, 2021, 07:57:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oarin

Has anyone heard if Pronature still has leeches? I've tried calling back they haven't returned my call.

T-Bone

Talked to them today and they do not expect to have any this time next week. When u leave?
Embrace every moment...you only get it once

GregL

Slim pickings this year!

Trout Lake has leeches but will only sell 5 doz per user, other places I called don't have any at all.

Balsams

Oarin, so pleased to see your planning. The planning and lead up is half the fun as I’m sure you know. We’ve stopped at Billy Bob’s in North Bay on Lakeshore I believe in the past. It’s been years so not sure if they’re operating still. Hope you find your leeches, and I hope you and John make it safely to your cabin. All will be all right with the world when you can settle down and share a drink with a view…..
Look forward to hearing your report.

TBIRD

Oarin: the last Cell # I have for Bob @ Trout Lake is 705-493-1781 - # at the store 705-495-4227 - I've got leeches from him in September before - Good Luck!

Oarin

Thanks everyone. We leave Saturday the 28th at about 4:30 AM. Can't wait to get to the Outpost!

GregL

I called Billy Bob’s this week and they are out for the season.. but I would try again.. who knows maybe they got some..

Kill Switch

Just called Trapper Joe's on Trout Lake, they are down to the last two dozen. I leave Saturday. not looking good.

ziggy6

We're heading up Sept 12 ..if anyone gets some info on who might still have leeches we would greatly appreciate it..thanks

Hodgey1

Quote from: Oarin on August 19, 2021, 12:01:52 PM
Thanks everyone. We leave Saturday the 28th at about 4:30 AM. Can't wait to get to the Outpost!

Very glad to hear your trip is on @Oarin .
Walleye Rock!

T-Bone

Glad to hear you're going to make it up Oarin. I'll warn you though...I'm breezing through North Bay about 18-hours in advance of you and if I find leeches I'm buying whatever they have on hand.  ;D

Well...I'm going to buy what we're going to need for the week. We're not planning on finding any leeches though...  :-\
Embrace every moment...you only get it once

Oarin

Good luck, T-Bone. I'm glad you're getting back to Alwaki. I don't really hold much hope for leeches either. Crawlers will have to do. I just hope nothing happens in the next week to screw things up for our trips.

Ira

Has anyone had any experience with Gulp plastic leeches? Hoping to hear some success stories.

tbayboy

I just got back today (will write up a report later) - Trapper Johns in North Bay on the 13th said they had a couple dozen but might have more the next ... call pronature and they said no more reservations but a pound would be fine so we just went straight there on the 14th (last Saturday) and they had 5 or 6 1lb bags in the fridge plus a bunch of 1/2 pound bags. No idea about now but they were very helpful on the phone and the leeches caught fish :)

smitty55

I've always been curious about leeches in particular. I've only ever used worms or minnows for Walleye ever since I was a kid. Even on any of our many trips to Kipawa none of our group from the Ottawa area ever used leeches. We did notice that more of the American clients used leeches all the time. So I'm thinking that it's more of an American preference, not that Canucks don't use them I would think. 
I'm certainly not knocking them as a bait, although I have read that they're not as effective in cool water seasons. I'm just wondering why they seem to be so much of a priority when to me worms would be a totally suitable alternative? Is it because you believe they catch more fish than worms under certain conditions or techniques? Or is it just a confidence thing because that's what you've always used? I would totally get that too, but in my case not having a leech to put on my jig, trolling a harness or drifting a spinner rig off a bottom bouncer wouldn't even enter my thoughts, totally happy using a nice dew worm. So like I said, just wondering.

Enjoy your trips guys, I envy you. Cheers