Leeches

Started by Oarin, August 18, 2021, 07:57:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

plowjock

I'm with you smitty55, just use worms. Sure they are a little messier than leeches, but when you're sitting still with a leech under a slip bobber, how much lazier can you get. My first trip into Smithbay lodge we tried leeches and slip bobbers. I found it wasn't my style of fishing. Went to the ned rig and had a field day catching eyes on plastic man TRD's. On our second trip back to Smithbay lodge, Grant and Lyn said to give worms a try. I know how messy they can be but we solved that issue. Caught a lot of eyes on a light jig and worm on the bottom with a little lift every once in a while. Interested on my next trip, to try trolling with Suddendeath hook behind a bottom bouncer with a worm on it. Check out the Rapala ad on Wired to Fish and see this new Hook with a swivel right where the line tie eye should be. Maybe, if you can find them in the USA try some Berkley MaxScent Flatworms on a dropshot. They're like leeches up here in Canada, darn hard to find but very effective. The built in scent is fantastic.They're also a lot cleaner than worms.

plowjock

The hook I wanted to mention was the VMC Spindrift hook. Pretty easy set up and I think would work pretty well. Just remember to put a swivel in the line where your mainline joins the flourocarbon leader. Can be rigged up with a spinner type set up or pulled behind a bottom bouncer. It will be right down in the face of your finned friends that you want to invite to dinner. Slow troll 1mph.

Hodgey1

Quote from: smitty55 on August 21, 2021, 11:55:51 PM
I've always been curious about leeches

Smitty, most of the times when I have been fishing at Kipawa with my SIL and he exclusively uses worms and I leeches, We have identical catch count. Then there are other times where I out fish him with leeches. I don’t recall a time when he has done better with crawlers. The leeches creep him out, so he won’t use them.

The other benefit, like has been mentioned already is the mess that is made when using crawlers. Breaking them in half makes the most mess. The leeches are clean. In the fall when all I can get is crawlers, I keep a wet towel in the boat to clean up after using them.
Walleye Rock!

LanielKid

Pronature had some leeches last week. Still plenty of worms. Picked them up on the 16th.

Hodgey1

Quote from: plowjock on August 22, 2021, 09:52:08 AM
. I know how messy they can be but we solved that issue.

What are you doing to minimize the mess?
Walleye Rock!

Ozzy30

I always buy a frabill (there are other makes)  worm holder with bedding, so I will pick them out of the mud and put in the container so only mess is the damp paper instead of the mud in the boat.
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/frabill-crawler-crib-0784201p.html#srp

I would highly recommend the frabill bedding even if can't get the container.  The last bedding I got was like mud and was terrible.  I am going today to buy frabill bedding

limacharley

I strictly use leeches until they run out then switch to worms. Half a worm on a drop shot works great.
Here's how we solved the mess worms can make.

We put about one inch of water in an empty plastic coffee can-Folgers. We deposit half a dozen leeches in said coffee can.
The water washes the grime off of them so when you reach in to grab one, they come out clean.

Just change the water every time you put new worms in the can.

For those coming from the Ottawa route, there's a new bait provider on 17 East called Backwoods Outdoors.
He sells bait, canoes/kayaks, dock systems, gunsmithing etc.

His website says 1 pound of leeches for $50.
Everybody is a genius.
But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree,
it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
- Albert Einstein

Ozzy30

Thanks Luc for the headsup, actually looks like there location would be ok for the US guys coming through Toronto and then up Hwy 11. A little detour at Corbeil but if they really want leeches and that is the only place.

Morrow21

Something else that helps with worm mess that I learned from my father in law, moss. He collects a bunch of moss in a bag and takes it with us. We keep a couple smaller bait boxes/coolers in the boat. Moss in the boxes with a cooler pack. Before going out transfer worms from the dirt/mud into the smaller bait boxes with moss. They aren’t completely clean, but pretty close. Might have to change out the moss once during the week if it gets too wet from condensation or rain but he’s been doing it for years and I like it.

Hodgey1

I appreciate all the tips on using worms in a cleaner fashion. They can make a real mess in the boat. I think I am going to try the coffee can with water trick, maybe with some moss added ???. I use frabil bedding now and have a frabil Styrofoam box that they stay in at camp.
Walleye Rock!

GregL

I use the worm bedding as well. Much better in the boat. I usually do the entire flat when we arrive. It does take some time to rinse them and transfer them to the worm hotel LOL! but it's worth it.

I would like to find a larger hotel for them because I think the frabil styrofoam box is a little small for a flat of worms.

In the boat we use a small cooler with a couple frozen bottles covered by a layer of cardboard then some bedding and the worms we are going to use for the day. I just
rotate out the frozen bottle on each trip so the bait stays cool.