T-Bone's Report - Alwaki Lodge 8/28-9/2

Started by T-Bone, September 09, 2021, 02:00:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T-Bone

Quick report here to feed those unable to make it up this year, or those that are already looking forward to next year. Sorry, no time for pics, but I’ll try to post them over time.

Wow…it was great to be back…albeit with some hurdles to clear in advance.

Me, Mattie, and Marco met on Wednesday prior to leaving for our “Same Day” PCR COVID test at a lab in downtown Columbus; by 8PM that evening, we were all clear to cross with negative test results in hand and, finally a popping of the champagne (OK, it was beer) that we will be going to Alwaki Lodge is just a few short days.

By 5AM on Friday, we were at Marco’s picking him up for the trek north. By 9:00am, we were crossing the Peace Bridge in Buffalo in no traffic, and the 3rd car in line at the Customs station. Oddly…this was taking some time. The car in the slot was there for at least 20 minutes before we saw the border agent hand them some boxes…point up the freeway…then away they went. Next car…similar delay…boxes handed into vehicle…point up the highway…off they went. Our turn…quick conversation…boxes into the car and, “Just go up the freeway one exit and follow the signs. We were being randomly selected for ANOTHER test. When we got to the site, apparently so was everyone else crossing the border at that time period. Had to download some SwitchHealth app, complete information, confirm the information, this and that, and the other thing. Finally, we were in the tent, tested, and away we went. They said they’d send us a text within 48 hours. Too bad we were off grid and wouldn’t get it. No matter…we were on our way North.

We started calling to find leeches around North Bay somewhere near Huntsville. Didn’t get much certainty of availability other than, “We can sell you a few dozen, but that’s it.” We decided to try the “Backwoods Bait” in Corbeil, and exited Lake Nosbonsing Road off Hwy. 11 and hooked-up on a pound after some negotiation to pay a premium to sell us more than a few dozen. Grabbed a few dozen crawlers just in case. On to North Bay where we did some quick perishables shopping in the Walmart that seemed to take forever as everyone in North Bay was there shopping also (won’t ever be going there again); we had to go this route as our pick-up on Saturday was at the same time the IGA opened in Temiscaming. No matter. One more stop at another local shop for some ‘fun time’ goods, and north we headed to Temiscaming. The Au Bercail was loaded with vehicles…and a familiar boat I recognized. We hadn’t even closed the car doors yet and I see a familiar face peek out a window and a door open. Ozzy was already there and greeted us with three cold Bleues and we toasted the long-overdue reunion. After catching-up a bit with Ozzy’s wife Les, we made our way down to the Temrose for some chow and a few more brews…then hit the rack as it had already been a long day.

Saturday met us with cool temps, overcast skies, and the feel of imminent rain. We got to the dock about 8AM and by 8:30AM we were loaded and on our way to Alwaki. About halfway in and enjoying our catch-up conversation with Brian, the familiar “wall of white rain” was heading right at us, and pounded us until we arrived at camp when it suddenly stopped to permit us a dry unloading. That didn’t last long. Rain came hard, with thunder/lightning, for the next couple hours. We rigged our gear, set-up the cabin, and (of course) started the Bleue Train rolling for the week. So happy to be there.

By 1PM, we saw a window to get in some fishing, so went to a relatively new spot close to camp that provided a quick path back to camp. After fine-tuning our location on the location, we hit gold. Fish after fish after fish after fish. In less than an hour we boated 40+ walleyes and a couple smallies. That’s a great way to start!!! Saturday evening was not quite as hot, but we caught a lot of fish that evening also, drank a barrel full of Bleue, and celebrated our re-baptism to the Kipawa experience.

The weather on Sunday was similar to Saturday….waves of rain, storms, fishing, rain, etc. And we were hitting them again at a pace that makes a fast lap at the Indy 500 look pedestrian. So much fun. Most walleyes were in 20-22 fow and right on bottom. I was using a small jig and body, and Marco and Mattie were hitting them on twister and paddle tail bodies. Chartreuse seems the most productive. We roamed around from spot to spot…some better than others, but the pattern stayed the same. We did a little trolling without much to show, but jigging the spot-on-the-spot always produced. By Monday, we continued celebrating our success with similar production. Never got up early, or hit the lake before 10AM. We got what we got in AM/midday, and hit the lake about 6PM in the evening for a couple hours…all still very good fishing. Monday evening thing’s got so hot it was silly. I have no idea how many fish we caught that evening…likely due to our rate of success made it a blur and a certain Bleue fuzziness in our ability to count. It was somewhere around 70, may have been 80, could have been close to 90 in a couple hours of fishing. Some smallies were smattered in there, but mostly walleyes and good size.

The weather cleared Tuesday and Wednesday…bright and crisp, but windy and wavy. We traveled around and around trying to find a good spot we could “hold” on, but those were few and far between. Marking a lot of fish, but many of them seemed disinterested. We still caught our share, but nothing like Saturday-Monday. Same pattern, but a little deeper. Interestingly, the Saturday hot spot and the Monday evening hot spot were cold as ice…no fish to be found. Tuesday, we had our best intentions to “catch” a shore lunch, but couldn’t hook-up on keepers so we settled for brats over a campfire and cole slaw at a beautiful location we call Uncle Ron’s Pointe overlooking Lac Sunnyside. We enjoyed a few beers and some other fun imbibements, relaxed, and left the location better than we found it. After a quick rest (aka beers and laughs) on the deck of our cabin, we hit the lake again that evening for some more slow action and windy / wavy seas.

By Wednesday the week was starting to wear on us, but we tried some more jigging and trolling, though not very fruitful. No matter, we had a nice afternoon/evening planned. Ozzy was going to pick us up at Alwaki and take us to his new cottage (more like a house) on Lac Hunter. They just closed on it earlier that week, and we were officially their first guests. We took a tour of the property and caught up with his wife Les and the kids…which aren’t really kids anymore. A wonderful supper of moose steak, beef steaks, salad, and other veggies left us full and satisfied. Though sweet and filled with laughs, it was time to get back to camp, pack-up, and get ready for our departure on Thursday morning. We closed the evening with a good bit a Bleue and hit the sack. By 8:15AM on Thursday, we were heading back to Kipawa to load the car and get back to reality. Made awesome time coming home and the fastest border crossing ever…maybe 3-minutes from pulling up to pulling out…spent 30-seconds with the agent and he sent us on our way.

As always, we met some great people and shared some nice conversations; we met Greg’s friends Bernie and Deborah who were in the cabin next to us; had a nice conversation with ‘limacharley’ (Luc) from the Board who stopped by for a dock visit one afternoon, and we ‘accidentally’ met up with JoW from the Board after Marco referred to me a T-Bone while talking to them; he simple stated, “What, T-Bone? Are you the T-Bone from the Board?” I simple replied, “Yep…that’s me.” Great people.

Lessons learned: Late-August is awesome…no bugs, summer pattern fishing, cool temps; what seems like too much beer is often just right; smallies are much more prevalent now than two years ago; 3-person trips are perfect…not too big, constant engagement across the group; big meals are not necessary, and food simplicity is best for us; only a handful of tackle is necessary for our style of fishing, and seemed to work in every instance; and leeches or crawlers seemed to matter little this time of year.

Special thanks to Brian and Tina at Alwaki Lodge…just an awesome camp that I will certainly miss if it sells and goes private. Gracious and heartfelt thanks to Ozzy and his wife Les who treated us like family and made us feel right at home at their new ‘home’ on Lac Kipawa. And of course, my Kipawa mates Marco and Mattie that always make the trip everything it can be…lifelong memories created to be cherished forevermore.

So, there you go…until next year, keep on dreamin’ those Kipawa dreams!

Embrace every moment...you only get it once

limacharley

Great trip report. I think we've all had those fish outings where they practically jump in the boat.

It was a pleasure meeting you guys even though for a short time. Hope to get an invite next year when you decide on a trip to Kip.
I'm sure we'll have some belly laughs.

It's an amazing lake.
Everybody is a genius.
But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree,
it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
- Albert Einstein

NovarDave

Great report, thank you T Bone.  Always nice to get a visit in with LC.  You are right about that Walmart, always busy.  I prefer to go to the Independent Grocer at the north end of that parking lot if I have forgot something.  Sounds like a great trip. 

Ozzy30

Great report, always glad when we can get together for some beer and laughs.  We will do it all over again next year.

TBIRD

Great Report T-Bone:
Glad your group finally made the trip - here's hoping it becomes a yearly event again -  for years to come.

tbayboy

Great report, now I want to go back up again!

Greg

Awesome Todd!  So happy for you guys to be able to return.  I hope we can meet up next year.

Greg ... 15 more days!

Jay Thomas

Hi Todd,

Thanks so much for your trip report. Happy to read that you guys did so well catching walleyes.

Jay

Oarin

Glad you ad a safe and successful trip. Felt good to get back to Paradise didn't it! Now we wait for next year!

plowjock

Thank you for a very thorough trip report. Great to have you people coming back up to Paradise. Hope I get a chance to meet up with some of you. Guess I'll just have to wait until next year.

Jow

Great report, and great to meet you guys!! 

Hodgey1

Awesome trip report as always Todd. Glad it was such a success! I hope we get to see you in July 2022.
Walleye Rock!

GregL

Awesome report! Looks like your timing was spot on for the bite!

TBIRD

Hi Todd:

I really enjoyed your Report - a great way for me to start my Sunday (reading your report & Hodgey's) - September fishing on Kipawa is a Crap Shoot - 50% of the time I've dressed in shorts and tank top - 50% in my ice fishing garb - either way it's always been great! - bottom line I'm glad you, Mattie and Marco were finally able to make the trip.
Ray.

johnny walleye